Apple blocks Spotify updates as it compete against Apple music streaming service

GoodBytes
1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

So Spotify is breaking Apple's TOS, and Apple is then blocking their App. 

Sounds legit to me, don't know why this is news. 

The whole situation sounds hugely anti-competitive to me. (not a lawyer) TOS doesn't really matter in that case.

This is blatantly anti-competitive. How is this even legal?

Just found this. Relevant.

new-computer-error-funny-error-messages.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 hours ago, Kobathor said:

They're not "key services." Nobody will die because they can't buy an app. This is capitalism: if people don't like their store, it will not thrive as it has for years, so they'll need to reform it or consumers will force them to close. We have anti-trust laws to stop monopolies from happening, but the government shouldn't butt in just because Apple is using unfair tactics. Apple probably isn't breaking any laws, it's their platform.

American antitrust laws are an absolute joke.  Giant corporations merge with smaller companies all the time making it nearly impossible for smaller, potentially cheaper alternatives to compete.  In the US, people have very few options for Internet access.  If Comcast isn't meeting customer needs, they face hardly any consequences whatsoever because they have such a large portion of the market.  They can use permit laws to ensure that no other company can intersect with a particular region that they serve.  It is highly unusual that there is more than one cable company available in one area.  It's usually cable, DSL, satellite, and/or dial-up.  Cable companies know that DSL cannot compete with what they offer so technically there is no monopoly.  

If Google could compete with Comcast within the same service regions, Comcast would change their prices dramatically or use whatever loophole their expense lawyers could find in order to block Google from competing in that market.

I'm a Comcast customer, and ever since Google started to make waves with their Fiber service, my speeds have doubled with no price increase but it's still much lower and more expensive than what Google offers.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Apple ala crApple. GG crApple, for blocking Spotify.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Yea this in my mind is no different than the antitrust lawsuits MS lost (and nearly broke up the company)  over manipulating Internet browser options... 

I would be shocked if this doesn't end up in court. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Eh they are both being kinda dicks

Apple are being douches, that said Spotify are trying to breech their contractual obligations

Apple charge 30% is lame, but its their store

Spotify would lose millions of paying users if they lost iOS as a platform a 30% loss seems better than 100%

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

how is apple not hit with a bazillion anti trust lawsuits 

15 hours ago, Evadingfate said:

The whole situation sounds hugely anti-competitive to me. (not a lawyer) TOS doesn't really matter in that case.

Not agreeing with a law doesn't give you the right to break it, however justified you think you might be. You don't like Apple's rules, you are always free to not play. If you willingly and willfully choose to break the rules, then don't blame Apple for enforcing them. 

Just goes to show the pitfalls of not controlling your own platform, and Apple's wisdom in creating and maintaining their own ecosystem. Spotify's latest move reeks of desperation. Apple Music must be hitting them harder than they are letting on, what with the latest news of Apple potentially acquiring Tidal and all. 

If they don't get hit by an Anti Trust in the EU by this it would be strange. 

22 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

How do you get the billions that still consume their products to move elswhere and tell Apple to fuck off though? Sadly it is a defacto status symbol for many, many people enough to make Apple the biggest tech Company in the world.

Many libertarians will vehemently disagree with me but key services like app stores and digital distribution outlet (Yes, Steam included) should be heavily regulated to enforce fair competition, none of this "we decide the rules cause we big yo!" crap.

18 hours ago, Evadingfate said:

1 hour ago, tangra said:

If they don't get hit by an Anti Trust in the EU by this it would be strange. 

you cant be anti competitive in a market that you have less than 20% share.

8 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Apple charge 30% is lame, but its their store

Spotify would lose millions of paying users if they lost iOS as a platform a 30% loss seems better than 100%

30%.....same as steam all hail lord gaben!

though your overall point was bang on

15 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Apple ala crApple. GG crApple, for blocking Spotify.

GG sir for your informative and well thought out intellectual post

funny-reaction-gif-sarcastic-well-done.g

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

19 hours ago, Sunshine1868 said:

UPDATE: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/07/apple-spotify-violated-app-review-rules-wont-get-special-treatment/

Spotify violated Apple's terms and conditions. Apple not to blame.

and the thread dies because people cant hate apple

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

On Friday, July 01, 2016 at 10:19 AM, ShadowCaptain said:

Not if you count on leaving to give another reason for Apple users to leave Apple.

iOS devices don't make the better chunk of the market anymore and it has been for quite some time now (less than 15% Source )

2 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Not if you count on leaving to give another reason for Apple users to leave Apple.

iOS devices don't make the better chunk of the market anymore and it has been for quite some time now (less than 15% Source )

But I wonder what % of PAYING spotify users are iOS users, i bet quite a large %

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

But I wonder what % of PAYING spotify users are iOS users, i bet quite a large %

Unfortunately I haven't found that statistic in the public domain!

However that shows that Apple may be wrong in leveraging its platform like that.

Besides I suppose spotify has a mobile website? (I am more a soundcloud guy, so I don't really know spotify that well)

4 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Unfortunately I haven't found that statistic in the public domain!

However that shows that Apple may be wrong in leveraging its platform like that.

Besides I suppose spotify has a mobile website? (I am more a soundcloud guy, so I don't really know spotify that well)

Yeah but you really need to use the app for best experience

Reading around apparently, spotify only has twice as many paid users as Apple Music despite having 100m users