nVidia or wait for AMD?

Coolingthunder

Hi,

I am planning on upgrading soon to a new graphics card to replace my current GTX760 with something much much better. It just no longer performs with modern games the way it used to, and I have some budget available atm to get rid of it. Now the question for me is do I go with the new nVidia offerings (1070 or 1080, not sure about that one yet), or do I wait for AMD's new offerings coming up very soon? 

Keep in mind that I will also be upgrading my monitor, but it won't be a 4K screen since those don't really fit in my budget just yet. Most probably 1440 or something along those lines.

I mainly play racing games, flight sims, some online shooters, but nothing truly competitive like CSGO. 

I am currently somewhat out of touch with the new AMD lineup, I have always had nVidia cards up until now. I don't really mind switching, so that is of no concern here. 

Thanks for any input!

wait and see what polaris performance is like and then decide

CPU - Intel i5-6600K 4.7Ghz
MOBO - ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
GPU - GALAX GTX 1080 EX OC SNPR
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 8GB
SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 4TB
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
CASE - Corsair Obsidian 450D
PSU - EVGA Supernova 750 G2

24 minutes ago, Coolingthunder said:

Hi,

I am planning on upgrading soon to a new graphics card to replace my current GTX760 with something much much better. It just no longer performs with modern games the way it used to, and I have some budget available atm to get rid of it. Now the question for me is do I go with the new nVidia offerings (1070 or 1080, not sure about that one yet), or do I wait for AMD's new offerings coming up very soon? 

Keep in mind that I will also be upgrading my monitor, but it won't be a 4K screen since those don't really fit in my budget just yet. Most probably 1440 or something along those lines.

I mainly play racing games, flight sims, some online shooters, but nothing truly competitive like CSGO. 

I am currently somewhat out of touch with the new AMD lineup, I have always had nVidia cards up until now. I don't really mind switching, so that is of no concern here. 

Thanks for any input!

I'm a Nvidia guy myself, but even then I'd still suggest you to wait. The NDA will be lift in 1-2 days depend on your timezone, so just... wait, once we got the benchmark we will know which one is a better choice.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I'd personally wait for the higher end AMD cards, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

Hello there fellow 760 owner :)

I  upgrading to 1070 because I need 100+ fps maxed out in any game. 

But I'm doing so in September/October due to other plans I've made for next 2 months. Since I'm in UK prices could go up :/ or go down (Nvidia usually reduces prices after several months).

I was considering 480 but I really wanna get the best I can afford and 1070 will be worth it.

I wouldn't go with 480 for 1440p res (I just don't expect it to be that good considering its supposed to be little weaker than 980) But TOMORROW we finally get to see benchmarks and then u can make final decision :) wait for aftermarket cards before u buy anything !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

480 wont compare to 1070 or 1080 in perf, but 480 will do fine if you cant afford to get them atm, but get the 8gb version of it.

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

14 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The RX 480 is supposed to perform like a Fury at absolute best and a 390 at absolute worst. How does a 390X perform at 1440p?

new realistic benchmarks contradict that it shows about 380x performance and under 970 performance

OP if i were you i would wait and upgrade by the end of the year, wait for Vega high end from AMD to see what they offer, if they can offer vega chips with 1060/1070 peformance for 50-100$ cheaper than nvidia than there is no reason to upgrade now, always wait if theres something new coming up and that is Vega 

20 minutes ago, Coolingthunder said:

Hi,

Thanks for any input!

WAIT

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

6 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

new realistic benchmarks contradict that it shows about 380x performance and under 970 performance

OP if i were you i would wait and upgrade by the end of the year, wait for Vega high end from AMD to see what they offer, if they can offer vega chips with 1060/1070 peformance for 50-100$ cheaper than nvidia than there is no reason to upgrade now, always wait if theres something new coming up and that is Vega 

And even more realistic benchmarks showed performance worse than a 960. Then they got taken down. Wonder why - oh I know, cause they were fake...

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 hour ago, deviant88 said:

Take those 'realistic bencjmarks" as a grain of salt until the NDA lifted.

22 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

For AMD fanboys, the max clock speed keeps going up with every leak. For Nvidia fanboys, the performance keeps going down with every leak. By the time it launches tomorrow, it will only be as fast as a gtx 750.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

28 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

For AMD fanboys, the max clock speed keeps going up with every leak. For Nvidia fanboys, the performance keeps going down with every leak. By the time it launches tomorrow, it will only be as fast as a gtx 750.

Well whatever, I'm staying with my idea of a 390Xish at $250 c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Whilst simultaneously running at 9000 GHz.

I'm in the same boat as OP, I just built a new skylake system and the only thing missing is the GPU. After going back and forward Ive decided to wait at least until the GTX1060 comes out. That way we can compare the overall price/performance ratio of the nvidia and amd cards. So I say wait a little longer, prices should be lower for 1070 and 1080 as well.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

16 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Well whatever, I'm staying with my confirmation bias c:

fixed that for ya :) 

If anyone asks you never saw me.