120 mm fan for mineral oil submersion

Stefan1024
Go to solution Solved by Stefan1024,
1 hour ago, ThomasD said:

You don't want a case fan, none of which are intended to perform against that much resistance.  You want some sort of impeller - maybe a small submersible aquarium pump..

If I need serious oil flow, an impeller is the best solution. I was looking at some motors and impellers used for RC boats. But they are expensive and I don't need "that" much airflow.

I just bougth a Corsair SP120, it should be enougth oil flow. If I really need more for the OCed Titan X, I will have a look again.

So I'm looking for a fan to dump in mineral oil, so noise is not a concern, but I need high static preassure.

I was looking at:

- Corsair SP120 PWM High Performance Edition

- Noctua NF-F12 PPC 2000 PWM

The Noctua may be a little bit better, but is very expensive. So I'm tending towards the SP120. Are there other options I should have a look at?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

the CM silencio fans have a ton of static pressure

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

the CM silencio fans have a ton of static pressure

The 2400 RPM version looks very nice, but here in Switzerland I can only source the 1400 RPM version :|

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

I wonder what happens if you put delta fans in oil cooled rigs

want high cpm ? use a Delta fan m8

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

I wonder what happens if you put delta fans in oil cooled rigs

want high cpm ? use a Delta fan m8

I want oil movement and not a fountain ;)

Also I don't like to burn 50 watts with a fan.

lol

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

8 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

There are lower speed deltas.

You can find them quite cheap if you look for dead servers.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

12 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Are you looking for directed oil movement or just movement in general?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, thekeemo said:

There are lower speed deltas.

You can find them quite cheap if you look for dead servers.

I will have a look at them, thank you.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you looking for directed oil movement or just movement in general?

Directed oil movement is better, but I assume I need some kinde of metal sheet to seperate the moving from the non-moving oil to do that. However, I will try to avoid this.

The fan is only needed to improve the natural convection over the VRMs of the GPU. Put I like to get a high static preasure one, so it is not slowed down to much.

Whatever Linus is telling you, a slower spinning fan does draw more power as you feed it with a constant voltage.

You don't want a case fan, none of which are intended to perform against that much resistance.  You want some sort of impeller - maybe a small submersible aquarium pump..

1 hour ago, ThomasD said:

If I need serious oil flow, an impeller is the best solution. I was looking at some motors and impellers used for RC boats. But they are expensive and I don't need "that" much airflow.

I just bougth a Corsair SP120, it should be enougth oil flow. If I really need more for the OCed Titan X, I will have a look again.

5 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Then my suggestion would be, rather than focusing on SP ratings, look for the fan with the highest current draw (amperage.)  That being the best indication of both it's ability to do work and also tolerate the heavy load you will be placing upon it.  Manufacturers can get pretty darn creative with their SP and airflow ratings, but amperage is something they will generally not exaggerate.