CableMod Wide Beam LEDs and Hue+

HalogeniC

Can you hook up some CableMod RGB strips to an NZXT Hue+. I want the wide beam lights but I don't want to have to use that dinky remote. 

the hue+ is 5v

even though it doesnt say, I'm pretty confident the cablemod strips are 12v like 99% of all other LED strips are

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, HalogeniC said:

Can you hook up some CableMod RGB strips to an NZXT Hue+. I want the wide beam lights but I don't want to have to use that dinky remote. 

If you have the Asus Hero Alpha (which by chance of odd, im guessing you don't) or any Asus board with an Aura connector, you can hook the LED's directly into the motherboard, and control the LED's through a program in Windows

To answer you original question, Yes. It will work, but I've always preferred using my build in headers instead of an add in.

Look more elegant, plus there wont be an extra device draining power

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

the hue+ is 5v

even though it doesnt say, I'm pretty confident the cablemod strips are 12v like 99% of all other LED strips are

The cablemod LED's are 5V.

The Aura connector on Asus motherboards provides 5V, and I've been using them fine for 5 months without any problems plugged into the header,

Roses are red

My name is Roy

2 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

The Aura connector on Asus motherboards provides 5V, and I've been using them fine for 5 months without any problems plugged into the header,

ok, good to know :)

then yes it will work

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Thanks man. I couldn't find anywhere that said the voltage of the CableMod strips

1 minute ago, HalogeniC said:

Thanks man. I couldn't find anywhere that said the voltage of the CableMod strips

I didn't find anything on their website either. But after using them for 5 months, I can confirm they are 5V

Roses are red

My name is Roy

12 minutes ago, HalogeniC said:

5 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

The cable Mod LED's are not 5V they are 12V LED strips, and the RGB ones will not work on the Hue+ the Hue+ uses individual addressable LED. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

The cable Mod LED's are not 5V they are 12V LED strips, and the RGB ones will not work on the Hue+ the Hue+ uses individual addressable LED. 

Hmm. Strange .I've been using them fine on my Asus board for almost half a year.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

Hmm. Strange .I've been using them fine on my Asus board for almost half a year.

The Aura header should be giving it 12V and per color control through the 4 pins, from just looking at the sata adapter and the controller unit it looks to be a 12V output:

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-widebeam-magnetic-rgb-led-kit-60cm/