Tips on first PC build

So basically I had this not so old crappy AMD test pc laying around and after over a year i have finally have the resources to start updating it. Aim is to spend around $500 dollars on none GPU components for a preferably Intel based system that should be good to not bottle neck the GPU when i get around to adding it in.

What i have right now is basically the cooler master elite 343 case and a blue ray disk drive and a crappy 250W power supply. The operating system and storage should not be any problem so that leaves me with having to select a new motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, and RAM. (probably a new power supply as well)

The GPU I will probably go for in the end will be either a 970 or maybe a 980TI (or if nvidia announces next gen I might wait around and pick up the successor to the 970)

So the parts i am planning on buying so far are:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 3.5ghz Q-core                                              $235

CPU COOLER : Cool master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9                             $35

MB: ASrock z170M Extreme4 mATX LGA1151                                    $100

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4-3000                                 $70

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ semi mod. power supply.           $65

My main concern is if i can get away with not upgrading the power supply until i get a graphics card since on PC Part picker the Wattage comes out to well under 200W. I am def not planning on overclocking the K CPU til i have the better power supply and a graphics card.

Other thing would be if i should be looking at another option for the mother board. It seems hard to find good info on mATX mother boards and the only one that stood out with features to price was the exteme 4 mATX. It is my first time with ASrock so i am not to sure how they are.

Is it worth upgrading the Cooler to the Hyper 212x for the few extra dollars?

Should i get some other thermal compound or is the one provided with the cooler good enough.

And finally is this base good enough for VR when using Oculus rift with the GPU's mentioned above or should i consider upgrading something in the build.

thanks for the help!!

Just now, SagesFury said:

i would go non-k to be honest. its not really worth it considoring the cost of cpu and motherboard. just get a bood b150 board.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Just wanted to stop by and say nice profile icon. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

That psu is of very bad quality. would buy an evga G2/P2/GS/GQ over that any time. 550 watts is more then enough if it's a good psu. the hyper 212x is not worth it over the 212 evo. The included thermal paste is good enough.

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

"To finish first, you first have to finish"

7 minutes ago, SagesFury said:

Other thing would be if i should be looking at another option for the mother board. It seems hard to find good info on mATX mother boards and the only one that stood out with features to price was the exteme 4 mATX. It is my first time with ASrock so i am not to sure how they are.

Motherboard really come out to the features that you think you'd need.
So as long as it has what you want and the reviews are good, you're probably safe.

Is it worth upgrading the Cooler to the Hyper 212x for the few extra dollars?

I'd didn't purchase the x and I have extremely good temps on my oc.

Should i get some other thermal compound or is the one provided with the cooler good enough.

I've never had to purchased thermal paste.

And finally is this base good enough for VR when using Oculus rift with the GPU's mentioned above or should i consider upgrading something in the build.

Anything 970+ should be more than adequate for VR if specs are to be beleived.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

Get 8GB of RAM.. And downgrade it to 2400Mhz. That is what I would do.. 

On 5/5/2016 at 3:51 PM, Telebubbies said:

Get 8GB of RAM.. And downgrade it to 2400Mhz. That is what I would do.. 

I am going with the 16gb because I really want 8gb sticks. If i was going to cut and make it 8gb it would probably be a single stick which a few people said would not be a good idea. i also went with the higher speed since the price difference was neg. ! Thanks for the input though. I am not sure if i will ever upgrade to 32 gb of ram or if it is even close to nec but i wanted to keep that option open in case i want to make upgrades to the cpu or something in the future.

10 minutes ago, SagesFury said:

I have used pc part picker

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7DC2K8

Looks pretty good to me. 

Just do like you said, wait for the next gen, probably the next mainstream nvidia cards are not being released this month (not sure what is ur budget) but even if they don't Polaris is going to be mainstream at very affordable price with high end performance.

26 minutes ago, lukart said:

Looks pretty good to me. 

Just do like you said, wait for the next gen, probably the next mainstream nvidia cards are not being released this month (not sure what is ur budget) but even if they don't Polaris is going to be mainstream at very affordable price with high end performance.

My budget for the graphic card is not set but tbh it will most likely be anywhere from 300 to 600 $. it is almost 100% certainly going to be nvidia since i have a bunch of devices capable of the game stream stuff and a shield tablet. i will probably come back and make a new thread on which version of the card to get in the future. So i guess that puts me in the range between whatever replaces the 970 and 980! I think they announce the new cards today which is the main reason i am not putting money aside for the graphic card just yet.

Most likely their new GPUs will be between 349USD and 549USD.  Which I ultimately think they will be is 399$ and 499$ respectively.