[Guide] The Art of Using a PC, and Not The Other Way Around

vanished

There has been a lot of news recently about computers suddenly and unexpectedly upgrading themselves to Windows 10, or rebooting on people when they didn't want it to, and so I think it's high time we get a good guide to point to that teaches the people the things they need to know to use their computer, instead of it using them :)

The focus of this guide will be on how to control automatic updates so that they behave the way you want them to.  Computers only do what the programmer who set them up told them to do unless you take action, so if you feel strongly about how your computer should update itself, you have to actually tell the computer that - don't just assume it will read your mind, or that Microsoft or anyone else thinks the same way you do.

Before we begin, this will not be a guide about how to disable updates.  I strongly discourage doing so, as it can leave your system vulnerable to security threats and may cause you to miss out on new features or experience incompatibility issues with new hardware.

For Windows 7 Users

For anyone still stuck on Windows 7 for one reason or another (I am on my laptop), here is a complete guide to not getting pestered or pushed onto Windows 10.

Step 1: Set automatic updates to notify but not act

If you want to have some say in what your computer does and when, don't let it go on believing that it's allowed to do whatever it want whenever it feels like it.  Here's how:

Spoiler

Open Windows Update and go into the settings.  Change the top option as shown below, so that Windows will let you know when updates are available, and then wait patiently.  You get to choose what (out of what it offers) you want, and when it goes about installing them.  To me, this just makes sense, but it is also critical for the next step.

tutorial_1909

windows-update.png

win7-other.jpg

Step 2: Remove the Windows 10 upgrade icon

If you wanted Windows 10, I assume you would have upgraded by now.  So if you are not planning to, here's how to cleanse your system of it.  It may come as a surprise to many people that it does not need any "back alley hacks" or other sketchy tools - just built-in, provided Windows functionality and a little know-how.  Here's how:

Spoiler

1. Open up Windows Update and click on "Installed Updates"

pasted1.png

2. Find the one called "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583)"  There will be a lot with pretty much the same name so the part you're really looking for is that number after "KB"

3. Select it, and then click the "Uninstall" button near the top

pasted2.png

Reboot if necessary, and it should be gone!  Unless Microsoft has hatched some other evil plan recently that I am not aware of, your Windows 7 install is now back the way it was before Windows 10 - everything you want and nothing you don't ;) 

Step 3: Don't let it come back

That's all fine and good, but since it is marked as a "recommended update", it will just come back next time updates are available if you don't tell it otherwise.  Here's how:

Spoiler

1. Click on the list of proposed updates, next time it offers (if you do a "check for updates" right now it will probably show up)

pasted3.png

2. Look for it in the list.  If you see anything you don't want, uncheck it, and it won't be installed.  If you see anything you never want to see again, ever, right-click on it and select "hide update"

ximg_55731a9a2f7ee.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

Step 4: Be careful

It's a war zone out there, and you'd better keep your wits about you if you don't want to go down.  Next time it offers updates, repeat step 3 (to some extent): take a quick look through the list, and just don't install things you don't want (particularly KB3035583).  It's that easy! :)

You should now be safe from unexpected reboots, unwelcome offers of Windows 10, and all manner of unpleasantness people will typically blame the computer for.

For Windows 10 Users

As usual, everything's just a littler easier for us :D  There is really only one setting you need to be concerned about, since Microsoft doesn't yet have a Windows 11 to push on everyone :P

Step 1: Configure reboot settings

(Without going into Group Policy or something like that) Unfortunately Windows 10 does not give people the option to choose what updates to install, or even the option to not download them automatically.  They are coming, and they will be installed.  Resistance is futile.  BUT, you do have control over when your system reboots, and in fact you have much more powerful control than windows 7 users do.  Gone are the days of the constant popup every 10 minutes, 1 hour, or 4 hours.  Windows learns over time when you do and don't typically use your PC, and even before that assumes that 3 AM would be a safe bet for an "off hour".  Once updates have been installed and a reboot is pending, it will schedule one for that window of time - an already safer option than popping something up to interrupt a game, or worse yet, not popping it up and just counting down in the background.  That is, if you set it right - all of this only applies if you select the right option in the the automatic update settings.  Here's how:

Spoiler

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.png

That's it :)

Step 2: Know your options

The other ace in the whole you have as a Windows 10 user is the option to reschedule the reboot if the time it picks isn't convenient.  If a reboot is pending, you will see the following screen in the update window:

Spoiler

Capture.PNG

You can select any time in the future up to almost 1 week away, if memory serves.  Surely enough time to finish up whatever you are doing.

That's it!  I know there are more advanced options in Windows 10, but I'll leave that up to anyone in the comments below who's able to explain that from personal experience, since I'm quite frankly not familiar with them, as I haven't had the need, and this guide was targeted mainly at beginners anyway.

Hope this is useful!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

As an addition:

How to configure the Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Pro to prevent Windows Update from acting autonomously.

The Group Policy Editor is a powerful tool available in Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise, which allows a far more granular control of system settings than the control panel and the "settings" application normally give you. It is not available in Windows 10 Home. One (of many) use for it is to stop WIndows installing updates when you don't want it to. Perhaps you have a policy to only install system updates after a week, in case Microsoft pushes a bad update which they then retract. Normally, Windows 10 wouldn't care about what your personal policy is, but with this tool, you can make sure it listens.

Search for the "Edit Group Policy" entry in the control panel:

Spoiler

startMenuSeachGPE.png

After opening the Group Policy Editor you are greeted by this screen:

Spoiler

GPEopen.png

Here you can change all kinds of settings on your computer. We are only interested in one, however.

Navigate to the Administrative Templates, and go to the "Windows Components".

Spoiler

GPEopenAtAdminSettings.png

Here you will find a long list of things you can set up. The entry we are interested in is the one in the list of folders on the left called "Windows Update":

Spoiler

GPEopenAtUpdateSettings.png

In the "Windows Update" selection you will find the entry "Configure Automatic Updates". It will show as "Not Configured" for you. Double click this entry to configure how Windows shall handle updates in the future.

This is the window that will open:

Spoiler

ConfigureUpdates.png

Here you can enable or disable the policy. The "Help" describes the settings you can select in the drop-down menus. To make Windows only download updates after asking for permission, set the dropdown to "2 - Notify for download and notify for install". Also make sure you "enable" this policy. You can also leave a comment, if you have multiple administrators.

The scheduling option only applies if you choose selection "4 - Allow local admin to choose setting". It can be ignored if you choose any of the other options.

Hit "OK" to save your changes.

If you now open your Windows Update application, you will see a notice that some features are "managed by your organization". This is because the Group Policy Editor can block certain changes to settings. You will now see a button which gives you the option(!) to download the listed updates. Additionally, Group Policies persist through OS updates, while changes made in the "settings" menu have not in the past. Unlike before, you now have the option to not press that button :)

Now Windows 10 will ask before downloading any update. You can defer any update delivered via Windows Update indefinitely. Windows will, however, start to nag you about installing an update after about two weeks (I relented when it included a Flash update). This includes any update, from the daily virus definition update for Microsoft Defender to the large quarterly cumulative updates.

d

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

35 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

*snip*

Fantastic, thanks a ton for that! :) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 6 months later...

Great guide!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I actually should update this since things have changed a bit... :P