4790k or 6700k?

I've got an I5 4th gen rig right now and I'm looking to upgrade to an I7. Should I keep my ram and upgrade to the 4790K or should I get some ddr4 and, a new mobo, and a 6700K? What do you think?

1 minute ago, Ununhexium116 said:

I've got an I5 4th gen rig right now and I'm looking to upgrade to an I7. Should I keep my ram and upgrade to the 4790K or should I get some ddr4 and, a new mobo, and a 6700K? What do you think?

It depends. How much money r u spending. It can help making decisions. Also, what r ur current specs? 

Just now, HoiDaniel said:

go 4th gen i7 when you're at it, DDR4 isn't a big thing at the moment

yea i agree

Going 4th gen is significantly cheaper, spending the extra money really isn't worth it unless you plan to use the iGPU (which I'm guessing you don't).

4 minutes ago, Ununhexium116 said:

what mobo do u have. If you have a bad one, u might as well get a good z170 one and the 6700k

12 minutes ago, Master Jimbob said:

what mobo do u have. If you have a bad one, u might as well get a good z170 one and the 6700k

Ive got a dirt cheap mobo (Gigabyte b85m-d3h, it was $30 open box). I want to get one of Gigabyte's SOC Force series, the z97 SOC Force ($190) is significantly cheaper than the z170 SOC Force ($380)

Just now, Ununhexium116 said:

Ive got a dirt cheap mobo (Gigabyte b85m-d3h). I want to get one of Gigabyte's SOC Force series, the z97 SOC Force ($190) is significantly cheaper than the z170 SOC Force ($380)

then get the good mobo and the 4790k.

2 minutes ago, Ununhexium116 said:

Ive got a dirt cheap mobo (Gigabyte b85m-d3h, it was $30 open box). I want to get one of Gigabyte's SOC Force series, the z97 SOC Force ($190) is significantly cheaper than the z170 SOC Force ($380)

if you're going to have to buy a motherboard, just get skylake imo

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

lol but it is so expensive.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

2 times

1 minute ago, Master Jimbob said:

lol but it is so expensive.

what is? the last time i checked, it was nearly the same

if OP have a non-OC board and wants the performance of an i7, get the xeon 1231 v3

then he only have to change the cpu

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

what is? the last time i checked, it was nearly the same

if OP have a non-OC board and wants the performance of an i7, get the xeon 1231 v3

then he only have to change the cpu

did u notice that the Z97 SOC was 190 bucks and the Z170 SOC was 2 times moar expensive

4 minutes ago, Master Jimbob said:

did u notice that the Z97 SOC was 190 bucks and the Z170 SOC was 2 times moar expensive

no but why insist on the SOC board?

46 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

no but why insist on the SOC board?

It's not required, but I like the features and looks. 

How soon are you looking to build? If you can wait a little bit I would suggest seeing what Broadwell-E has to offer when that launches at the end of May/early June. Since it's so close I would wait just to make sure you have the best choice of parts.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Master Jimbob said:

It depends. How much money r u spending. It can help making decisions. Also, what r ur current specs? 

Sorry, didn't see this until just now. 

Specs:

CPU: I5 4570

GPU: MSI r9 270

RAM: 16gb 2133 (enthusiast clock speed, but at the time it was the same price as 1600) ddr3

Hard drives:

2X 320gb (7200?) HDD

1X crucial Mx200 250gb

PSU: corsair cx750m

Case: NZXT H440 orange and black

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

How soon are you looking to build? If you can wait a little bit I would suggest seeing what Broadwell-E has to offer when that launches at the end of May/early June. Since it's so close I would wait just to make sure you have the best choice of parts.

At least a month, possibly a little longer.

This depends a bit upon why you are upgrading, because, unless you are doing semi-pro or pro video editing apps, or whatever, and need the extra threads (and need to shorten the render time), upgrading from a 4th gen i5 to a 4th gen i7 won't do much for you.

If you are aiming towards pro or prosumer functions, them it would make sense to go to the i7-6700 for maximum benefit.

If you are just gaming and doing the occasional video edit or whatever, then it would make more sense just to upgrade the CPU. But I think you'd be disappointed in the result.

You might be better off to upgrade the R9 270 instead.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

1 minute ago, Quaker said:

This depends a bit upon why you are upgrading, because, unless you are doing semi-pro or pro video editing apps, or whatever, and need the extra threads, upgrading from a 4th gen i5 to a 4th gen i7 won't do much for you.

If you are aiming towards pro or prosumer functions, them it would make sense to go to the i7-6700 for maximum benefit.

If you are just gaming and doing the occasional video edit or whatever, then it would make more sense just to upgrade the CPU. BUt I think you'd be disappointed in the result.

It's mostly gaming, but I'd like to get a strong CPU with great performance so I can spend time saving up for a new GPU/ peripherals. Also, because I still play modded Minecraft, I want great single core performance.

You have a strong CPU with great performance. You have excellent single-threaded performance. All that this will get you is more threads. You really don't need to upgrade, you will get little-to-no performance increase in games. Save your money.

Ok

11 minutes ago, Ununhexium116 said:

Sorry, didn't see this until just now. 

Specs:

CPU: I5 4570

GPU: MSI r9 270

RAM: 16gb 2133 (enthusiast clock speed, but at the time it was the same price as 1600) ddr3

Hard drives:

2X 320gb (7200?) HDD

1X crucial Mx200 250gb

PSU: corsair cx750m

Case: NZXT H440 orange and black

Spend money on upgrading the R9 270 first, you don't need to worry about a CPU upgrade for at least another 24 months. At least.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

You have a strong CPU with great performance. You have excellent single-threaded performance. All that this will get you is more threads. You really don't need to upgrade, you will get little-to-no performance increase in games. Save your money.

That makes sense

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Ok

Spend money on upgrading the R9 270 first, you don't need to worry about a CPU upgrade for at least another 24 months. At least.

That's also an option. At this point, the 270 is holding up pretty well in 1080p, pretty solid 60 fps in most of the games I play. I kinda want to wait for the new cards to come out so the price of the last gen cards drop.

That makes 

That makes? I'm not quite understanding that comment.