Paragraph element showing up in the post

Fix this

and fix like a billion other bugs when using IE11

Why can't we have alternative version that uses the old Forums? I like that one better both functionally and aesthetically, but mostly because it worked....

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Paragraph element?

What do you mean?

edit: nothing is perfect, with one thing fixed comes another problem

Edited by LynxThe1st

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

Just now, DXMember said:

Fix this

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you give me an example of a post that is not working correctly?

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

I can see one bug (sort of) reported in your post. I can't fix a million bugs if I don't get a million bug reports.

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Why can't we have alternative version that uses the old Forums? I like that one better both functionally and aesthetically, but mostly because it worked....

The new forum does work, and in most respects it's considerably better than it was before. Again, if you don't report the things that are broken, they can't get fixed.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, LynxThe1st said:

Paragraph element?

What do you mean?

You're smart, you'll figure it out...

When people developing stuff are hard to tell between lazy and borderline incompetent, I usually get lazy myself... I also like giving people a chance to figure stuff out on their own...

I mean, have you tried IE11? It's been horrible to browse this forum since the update, but now recently it started to show up the HTML <p></p> element whenever you type...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

On 14/04/2016 at 5:22 PM, DXMember said:

You're smart, you'll figure it out...

When people developing stuff are hard to tell between lazy and borderline incompetent, I usually get lazy myself... I also like giving people a chance to figure stuff out on their own...

Huh? The post is fucked up?

There's like 200 lines?

On 14/04/2016 at 5:24 PM, LynxThe1st said:

Huh? The post is fucked up?

There's like 200 lines?

Waaay more than 200

- Floor

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

You appear to have a browser extension that is modifying your post, or you are modifying it manually, when you edit it to cause massively tall random blocks.

HTTP/2 203

7 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

You appear to have a browser extension that is modifying your post, or you are modifying it manually, when you edit it to cause massively tall random blocks.

It's something else

He's right

I can see it now

It's majorly fucked

It just started like right now

watch

lttdestroyed.mp4

lttdestroyed2.png

something is seriously wrong

notification is also fucked

Edited by LynxThe1st
it's fine now? what the fuck

- Floor

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you give me an example of a post that is not working correctly?

I can see one bug (sort of) reported in your post. I can't fix a million bugs if I don't get a million bug reports.

The new forum does work, and in most respects it's considerably better than it was before. Again, if you don't report the things that are broken, they can't get fixed.

The 4 million pixel high paragraph...

how do you imagine I did that?

the HTML element started showing up like yesterday whenever I type... and for me as a user I it interferes with my typing, and for you as a moderator it makes you witness things like 1 pixel wide and 2 billion pixels high paragraphs...

There has to be some sort of QA volunteers, would it be possible for them to try out IE11 on this forum?

To be a lazy person I'll try to summarize things that don't work for me on IE11

a) half the pictures in the posts don't show up and instead I see small boxes with filenames without extensions

b) I can't embed youtube videos

c) I can't click on "Show more" for the signatures

d) the avatars are stretched and don't keep the aspect ratio (as far as I can tell it's on all browsers)

And hey, I'm sorry for being grumpy and mean, but it has to do with me being tired and bearing these horrible things with me for so long without reporting them, which in turn had to do with bystanders effect

13 minutes ago, DXMember said:

they probably fixed it years ago just that IE have yet to get the message :P

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

snip

So it is just me

I seriously fucked something up

- Floor

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

9 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

This is how I see it from my side....

Step 1, like just press now post....

Step2, Notice the the paragraph element? Now drag it a few pixels down using the active points

Now you can keep doing this manually stretching the paragraph... Or you can F12 into dev-mode and set it to and arbitrary number with a maximum of int32

and believe it or not it will show up for everyone as a huge white space, even though there is nothing malicious in the post itself, the element is tampered with, and you would be like supper depressed and baffled by why does it do that? and you don't know but you think it's funny so you use it like twice or thrice here and there as a mic-drop meme before you report the bug and

and the saddes part is that I can evidently overlay paragraphs like this one...

and I can also make them single pixel wide...

And is pictures: http://imgur.com/a/TSF7E

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

This is how I see it from my side....

Step 1, like just press now post....

Step2, Notice the the paragraph element? Now drag it a few pixels down using the active points

Now you can keep doing this manually stretching the paragraph... Or you can F12 into dev-mode and set it to and arbitrary number with a maximum of int32

and believe it or not it will show up for everyone as a huge white space, even though there is nothing malicious in the post itself, the element is tampered with, and you would be like supper depressed and baffled by why does it do that? and you don't know but you think it's funny so you use it like twice or thrice here and there as a mic-drop meme before you report the bug and

and the saddes part is that I can evidently overlay paragraphs like this one...

and I can also make them single pixel wide...

And is pictures: http://imgur.com/a/TSF7E

Have fun devs, I'm outside my business hours, so I'm doing my job of software testing very well (:

#hateweb

7 minutes ago, DXMember said:

The 4 million pixel high paragraph...

how do you imagine I did that?

the HTML element started showing up like yesterday whenever I type... and for me as a user I it interferes with my typing, and for you as a moderator it makes you witness things like 1 pixel wide and 2 billion pixels high paragraphs...

There has to be some sort of QA volunteers, would it be possible for them to try out IE11 on this forum?

To be a lazy person I'll try to summarize things that don't work for me on IE11

a) half the pictures in the posts don't show up and instead I see small boxes with filenames without extensions

b) I can't embed youtube videos

c) I can't click on "Show more" for the signatures

d) the avatars are stretched and don't keep the aspect ratio (as far as I can tell it's on all browsers)

And hey, I'm sorry for being grumpy and mean, but it has to do with me being tired and bearing these horrible things with me for so long without reporting them, which in turn had to do with bystanders effect

There are a great many ways that a 4 million pixel high paragraph can be added to the page, and it can be done in any browser using the dev tools, as you have pointed out.

When you say the HTML elements show up for you, what you mean to say is that the paragraph that you're typing in gets an outline with handles for you to resize it, right? Or do you mean that the actual HTML is displayed, as you implied in an earlier post? If it's the former, I hate to say it but, as with may IE things, there's probably nothing we can do about it. And yes, I have attempted the other solutions suggested in other answers to that question, but either the IE dev tools are broken (possible) or it doesn't work.

Filtering the HTML that is returned from the client is very difficult, because if we remove width then you'll just use margin, padding, or one of the countless other CSS features that would allow you to affect the height of the page. You could even just include a 1x1000px image to achieve the same effect. While I will see what I can do to add some more filters to prevent excessive modification of height, it's not possible to block them all.

So that I don't have to check loads of threads to find one that has embedded images to look into your issue (a), could you please identify one or two threads where it isn't working.

(b) works fine for me in IE 11 on Windows 10.

I can reproduce (c), and will look into it.

Issue (d) is because avatars have to be square, but the image manipulation library that we were using doesn't support modifying gifs. I believe that if you reupload it, it will be processed correctly (by offering you to crop it).

HTTP/2 203

However, the reason that those bugs are present is that Internet Explorer 11 is not complying to the standards correctly, and it may not be feasible to fix it properly. I would advise using Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, or one of the countless other browsers that are standards compliant, if at all possible.

HTTP/2 203

37 minutes ago, DXMember said:

snip

15 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

snip

is this what @DXMember meant?

I see this

im not sure if its right

lttdestroyed3.pnglttdestroyed4.png

- Floor

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

7 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

There are a great many ways that a 4 million pixel high paragraph can be added to the page, and it can be done in any browser using the dev tools, as you have pointed out.

When you say the HTML elements show up for you, what you mean to say is that the paragraph that you're typing in gets an outline with handles for you to resize it, right? Or do you mean that the actual HTML is displayed, as you implied in an earlier post? If it's the former, I hate to say it but, as with may IE things, there's probably nothing we can do about it. And yes, I have attempted the other solutions suggested in other answers to that question, but either the IE dev tools are broken (possible) or it doesn't work.

Filtering the HTML that is returned from the client is very difficult, because if we remove width then you'll just use margin, padding, or one of the countless other CSS features that would allow you to affect the height of the page. You could even just include a 1x1000px image to achieve the same effect. While I will see what I can do to add some more filters to prevent excessive modification of height, it's not possible to block them all.

So that I don't have to check loads of threads to find one that has embedded images to look into your issue (a), could you please identify one or two threads where it isn't working.

(b) works fine for me in IE 11 on Windows 10.

I can reproduce (c), and will look into it.

Issue (d) is because avatars have to be square, but the image manipulation library that we were using doesn't support modifying gifs. I believe that if you reupload it, it will be processed correctly (by offering you to crop it).

I see an outline which offers to be resized with a mouse pointer

a) try this picture:

wJfKwcb.png

b) I am not mad:

okay... I am mad, it didn't work just yesterday

7 hours ago, DXMember said:

a) try this picture:

wJfKwcb.png

That picture loads fine for me in IE11. If it's not loading for you, I'm fairly sure that's an issue with your internet connection - there is absolutely nothing special about how the images are added to the page.

HTTP/2 203

Yep it's the same for me. In IE11 each paragraph in the text input gets handles which allows you to resize it.

I came up with a good solution though. Use a decent browser like Firefox or Chrome.

Spoiler

Also shows up in spoilers.

3 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

That picture loads fine for me in IE11. If it's not loading for you, I'm fairly sure that's an issue with your internet connection - there is absolutely nothing special about how the images are added to the page.

gSmx0nf.png

All I can is that it just displays the filename for me as a link, if I click it I get the image presentation thingy (the one that dimmed the screen and tried showing a big picture) except that it's in an endless loop, If I middle-click it to open in a new tab I get this message:

http://i.imgur.com/6jsy2br.png

And when I click No on that one I get the imgur.com link with the picture that loads perfectly fine

And I don't think the Network audit for the page is supposed to look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/mH7lwRa.png

And if I manually change the properties it displays just fine.

58 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I came up with a good solution though. Use a decent browser like Firefox or Chrome.

Reveal hidden contents

An ancient truth from a very clever book that I don't remember the title anymore, the quote goes something like this from the memory

It is not the users responsibility to choose the "right" browser in order to use your application. By choosing to not support a browser you're not losing a user, you're losing an entire user-base.

FF is 32-bit only, Chrome and Edge has it's own religion that I do not agree with, IE11 has the shortest title bar.

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

FF is 32-bit only, Chrome and Edge has it's own religion that I do not agree with, IE11 has the shortest title bar.

Using IE11 and then complain that some things doesn't work is like deliberately breaking your own legs and then complaining that you can't walk. Stop crippling yourself and you won't have these issues.

I don't know what "religions" you are referring to with Chrome and Edge. I don't really understand why you specifically want a 64bit browser either but here is the latest version of Firefox, 64bit, for Windows. And yes, that is an official, stable build directly from Mozilla.

2 hours ago, DXMember said:

gSmx0nf.png

All I can is that it just displays the filename for me as a link, if I click it I get the image presentation thingy (the one that dimmed the screen and tried showing a big picture) except that it's in an endless loop, If I middle-click it to open in a new tab I get this message:

http://i.imgur.com/6jsy2br.png

And when I click No on that one I get the imgur.com link with the picture that loads perfectly fine

http://i.imgur.com/mH7lwRa.png

An ancient truth from a very clever book that I don't remember the title anymore, the quote goes something like this from the memory

Sounds like internet explorer is corrupt in some way, or you have messed around with settings in some really weird way - that image works fine for me, using the exact same build of IE, and clicking it opens the lightbox with no errors.

Most of the errors that were logged to the console are because you included an image in the page that is being loaded over HTTP rather than HTTPS. It is not a javascript error. One of the errors in there is a javascript error though, but it is related to the editor, and will not have caused the issues that you are reporting. However, I can't reproduce that error locally, leading me again to the conclusion that there is something wrong with your install.

HTTP/2 203

3 hours ago, DXMember said:

<snip image>

<snip image>

<snip image>

Have you checked your security settings? To be more specific, have you checked:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Internet Zone -> Custom... -> Display mixed content   ?

It should be set to enable, otherwise you will not be able to see images served over HTTP.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Have you checked your security settings? To be more specific, have you checked:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Internet Zone -> Custom... -> Display mixed content   ?

It should be set to enable, otherwise you will not be able to see images served over HTTP.

You are right.