The Quantum Loop - Copper Hardline Build

Hey Guys! This is my 4th or 5th PC build, but first ever build log!

Here are some photos of the finished product!! Please check out the build log and I hope you enjoy!!

nnVavuA.jpg

AQfWLeO.jpg

ZJ9mysQ.jpg

nbkzHDX.jpg

BUILD LOG 

Pretty excited to get to work, but things will be slow for about a month, then it will ramp up really fast and be VERY pic heavy, hope that's ok?

Theme
The theme of this build is a sort of dieselpunk/ww2 military.
I want it to be practical, and reversible (as in, mostly just a case mod, not modding components so I can swap them into a different case if I ever want to. 

COMPONENTS 
- 3930k @4.5ghz

- Sabertooth x79

- GTX 980 ti

- EK Plexi blocks for GPU and CPU

- Corsair AIR 540 case

- Full Copper Hardline Loop!

- etc... 

The computer has been built and running a basic watercooling set up for about a year now, but im finally bored enough waiting for my HTC Vive to arrive, that I want something cool to do.
And I may or may not want to show off my building skills to my father in law when I take my computer to their house for VR Demos... 

Here is the computer in its current form...
BxCEubL.jpg

And here are some basic renders I did in sketchup of the loop... 

g0wis2i.jpg

mTi1eKs.jpg

First little part of the build... Turning a harbor freight multimeter into an external temp display... 

It uses a little watercooling inline temp sensor I got forever ago but never had a good place for, so I thought I'd mount it on the outside. I remember seeing something very similar a while ago but can't find it now.

Original Multimeter I got free with some tape.. lol.
DSC01041.jpg'

As a bonus, I cut the original power cables and soldered them to the probe connections board that I broke off, so I can use the original props for power (I'll work something out for the signal cable later)

DSC01044.jpg

Cut a new slot for my screen, added some card stock to blend the shape and then used some modeling putty to build a bit of a lip, making it all look standard (ish)
DSC01045.jpg

First coat of paint, and some weathering done! (lots more to go)

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

Thanks for checking it out, guys! Really looking forward to how this will go! Lots of crazy ideas in my head and I'm really looking forward to sharing them with you, I've meant to do this for years and finally have a chance!!

DSC01049_1.jpg

Edited by kickasssloth
Adding some more photos..

First new part! Got this for $50 on craigslist! Best $50 ever. DSC01040.jpg

Also got this at an Army surplus store... I have a feeling I'll have to go back! It was from a CB radio in some sort of vehicle, but I'm turning it into an external volume control for my speakers. 

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

cant wait to see it done. good luck!

2 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Following!

Thanks, guys! 

Quick shout out to Luke by the way! Loving his and Rod's build in scrapyard wars, and it was the thing that got me off my butt and started on this theme idea I've had for years!

Also, here is some more weathering on the temp sensor thingy..
DSC01053.jpg

Not sure on this... Might need a bit more work or some green, or might look fine in the end, we'll see! Pretty happy with it, just needs a little more work! 

DSC01056.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

Paint prep/testing time tomorrow... Coming up with some ideas. Don't mind my bad drawings! :D

DSC01063.jpg

what program did you use to create the renders? didnt read lol

Build looks great!

Returning after 8 years dormant

6 hours ago, Maverick5500 said:

what program did you use to create the renders? didnt read lol

Build looks great!

Thanks, man!

Here are some photos of testing on the first side panel... Pretty pleased with the color, needs a lot of rust and beating up now! 
DSC01065.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

DSC01069.jpg

RUST TIME! 

First I set down some base to decide where the rust will mostly be, my thought being rust had gathered where the vent had been cleaned, overtime removing paint and allowing rust build up... 
DSC01070.jpg

DSC01071.jpg

NOW FOR TEXTURE! 

Mixed some PVA glue, water and sand (all I had was kinetic sand laying around...) and painted it on the rusting areas, this allows for some texture and build up, as well as some areas of pitting if you remove small amounts once the top coat is on.

DSC01072.jpgDSC01073.jpg

Now I add some paint of different shades over the top of that...

DSC01075.jpgDSC01076.jpg

Now after a whole bunch more layers its mostly done. Time to let it fully dry and beat it up a bit more later!

DSC01080.jpgDSC01082.jpgDSC01077.jpg

Thanks for everyone following and looking! :D 

DSC01074.jpg

1 minute ago, clarkmcc said:

Best build I ever did see. Please finish this fast :o9_9

Thanks man! Appreciate it! It should be done within a week, Just got a little bonus and ordered all the parts! :D

(also loving your build at the moment, I was just looking at it!)

Just now, kickasssloth said:

Thanks man! Appreciate it! It should be done within a week, Just got a little bonus and ordered all the parts! :D

(also loving your build at the moment, I was just looking at it!)

Ah man I just love this steampunkish build stuff. A lot like the scrapyard wars that's running rn. I've had this on my bucket list for a while now! Can't wait! And thank you! Loop is going together tomorrow night ;)

Update time! Had some second guesses about the theme but I'm sticking with the military theme...

First was to gut the old loop... That was fun. (not)
DSC01093.jpg

Now, to cover up the buttons

Just used some sticky stuff you use to hang posters (I forget what its called...)
DSC01094.jpg

Then I had to fill in the gaps of the bay covers

I never use them, never will, and so I decided to fill them in with some tamiya putty!

DSC01096.jpg

There we go, all filled and sanded nice and smooth. Not 100% perfect but that saves a lot of time, and I don't care because of the weathered, beat up theme I'm going for.

DSC01103.jpg

Today is paint day!

The most important part of paint is prep, even when you're doing a very weathered paint job.

DSC01107.jpg

All set up, now ready for paint in my high tech paint booth! (fun living in a tiny apartment)
Base of the case got a coat or 2 first, then I flipped it back over.
DSC01108.jpg

First coat...

DSC01115.jpg

A few coats down, and some dusting of black/brown paint.

DSC01117.jpg

Wifi? No... This wont do at all. 

I need Wifi, and this card is great and all but it is just horrible looking... I took it apart before taking photos, but basically I want to cover up this horrible PCB and it had a silver bracket. Time to make a DIY Backplate!

DSC01119.jpg

There we go! Much better!!DSC01128.jpg

Lots more to do today!

I will be posting a lot more updates later! New 980 ti, fittings and pipe bender come tomorrow so I'm hoping to have the paint all done later tonight. Thanks for all the interest! More posts to come!!

Edited by kickasssloth
Typo

Just now, clarkmcc said:

Does copper hardline come in a size that's normal for acrylic hardline or did you have to get custom fittings for that?

Yea! You can get 1/2 inch copper for normal arcylic hardline fittings that are meant to work fine (I hope.)

2 hours ago, kickasssloth said:

Yea! You can get 1/2 inch copper for normal arcylic hardline fittings that are meant to work fine (I hope.)

Will work fine... Pretty sure most fitting and tube sizes is derived directly from plumbing. My 12mm OD chrome copper tubing fits perfectly in both bitspower and EKWB hardline compression fittings.

3 hours ago, NJHourigan said:

Probably the coolest build I've seen

Wow! Thanks man!! :)

2 hours ago, NoobCase said:

Will work fine... Pretty sure most fitting and tube sizes is derived directly from plumbing. My 12mm OD chrome copper tubing fits perfectly in both bitspower and EKWB hardline compression fittings.

Yea, thought so... thanks! :)