Upgrading my PC, continue using Intel or move to AMD?

KieranThePCGuy
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

I would love an all black rig, black and red or black and yellow. My RAM is coloured Red so the blue option is already out, and having parts of the motherboard blue I fancy a change.

Didn't know that, I just heard good things about them and their warranties really sell me.

I don't mind I do work with Adobe AE and Sony Vegas so the extra RAM would help in that respect. Even some Cinema 4D work from time to time. Though I think the 8GB is sufficient for now :)

Here's what I was thinking: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1En7m

Replace the H100i stock fans and case fans with the sickleflows. 2 in front and 1 in rear.

Alternate your red and the black ram. Ignore the first picture. It shows a raw pcb (pny ram does this for some reason) but there's actually a sleek black heatsink for the following pictures.

The ssd here comes with a 3 year warranty if it means anything. In all likelihood, any modern ssd will last longer than you need it to.

Hi all,

Just wondering, I'm currently running a 2550K @ 4GHz and was thinking around Christmas, next year to build myself a new computer. Would you recommend me going down the Intel route again (Possibly wait until the Haswell Refresh), or swap to AMD. The only reason I ask is because these new games could be more optimised for AMD. I would game on it a lot and also video edit, 3D render too. Just wanted everyone's opinions. That's all.

Thanks,

Kieran

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Hi all,

Just wondering, I'm currently running a 2550K @ 4GHz and was thinking around Christmas, next year to build myself a new computer. Would you recommend me going down the Intel route again (Possibly wait until the Haswell Refresh), or swap to AMD. The only reason I ask is because these new games could be more optimised for AMD. I would game on it a lot and also video edit, 3D render too. Just wanted everyone's opinions. That's all.

Thanks,

Kieran

2550k? what is this processor? never heard of it.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65647/

Seems to be sandybridge i5.

Still a very very capable chip, then. You do not have any, even slightest reason to upgrade. Haswell isn't much faster than Sandy Bridge.

Getting AMD FX processor would be a downgrade or maybe sidegrade depending on what you are using your computer for.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Still a very very capable chip, then. You do not have any, even slightest reason to upgrade. Haswell isn't much faster than Sandy Bridge.

Getting AMD FX processor would be a downgrade.

It is a 2500K with no iGPU

It is a 2500K with no iGPU

Nice, so it should be able to clock MUUUUCH higher than 4GHz no? Unless the OP has very bad motherboard or didn't invest in cooling solution more powerful than BOX.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I would keep with the CPU you have currently and wait for the next haswell to upgrade.

Thankyou for your input!

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Getting AMD FX processor would be a downgrade or maybe sidegrade depending on what you are using your computer for.

It;s basically a 2500K with no iGPU, I think they made it when there was a shortage of 2500K chips, but could be wrong. Thankyou for your input, do you think I should stick with my current chip and not even bother with an upgrade?

Nice, so it should be able to clock MUUUUCH higher than 4GHz no? Unless the OP has very bad motherboard or didn't invest in cooling solution more powerful than BOX.

Yes, it supposedly is able to get .1 GHZ higher clock speeds than the 2500K which can achieve 5GHZ ;)

It;s basically a 2500K with no iGPU, I think they made it when there was a shortage of 2500K chips, but could be wrong. Thankyou for your input, do you think I should stick with my current chip and not even bother with an upgrade?

Of course, there's nothing upgrade-worthy on the market as of now.

I'd wait for a CPU breakthrough in few years before upgrading (some new technology that will be required to do what you want to do). Until then, no reason to upgrade from Sandy Bridge.

That is a good CPU just upgrade something else like GPU or SSD

Thanks CoolBeans, I wanted a proper colour scheme, I currently use a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3. Which has colours all over the place, using G.Skill RipJawsX. I may just upgrade my motherboard, GPU and SSD and keep the chip.

Overclocking has never been my thing really, I just up'd the Turbo Boost to x40 when it needs it. I use a Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 CPU Cooler. With a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3.

Thanks CoolBeans, I wanted a proper colour scheme, I currently use a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3. Which has colours all over the place, using G.Skill RipJawsX. I may just upgrade my motherboard, GPU and SSD and keep the chip.

Don't waste money upgrading motherboard.

Only upgrade GPU or get SSD if you feel like it.

Of course, there's nothing upgrade-worthy on the market as of now.

I'd wait for a CPU breakthrough in few years before upgrading (some new technology that will be required to do what you want to do). Until then, no reason to upgrade from Sandy Bridge.

Thanks your your help @Dravic! Saves me some monies!

its worth the wait just to see if they will solder on ihs... 

Don't waste money upgrading motherboard.

Only upgrade GPU or get SSD if you feel like it.

I wanted to do a new build but with a better colour scheme, the colours on the motherboard really wind me up with that RAM in their too. I wanted a Black and Yellow, was thinking about the Z77 mPower or go with Black and Red and get the MSI Z77-GD65 or an ASUS ROG varient. 

its worth the wait just to see if they will solder on ihs... 

Thankyou for your input!

I wanted to do a new build but with a better colour scheme, the colours on the motherboard really wind me up with that RAM in their too. I wanted a Black and Yellow, was thinking about the Z77 mPower or go with Black and Red and get the MSI Z77-GD65 or an ASUS ROG varient. 

Nah not worth it, trust me. Your motherboard is rather fine and upgrading it feels like wasting money.

Nah not worth it, trust me. Your motherboard is rather fine and upgrading it feels like wasting money.

Okay, I do want a H100i though, I feel like I could get much more juice from the chip :P

Can you list all your specs?

Okay, I do want a H100i though, I feel like I could get much more juice from the chip :P

It's quite loud with stock fans. I'd recommend replacing them with aftermarket ones if you do.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Can you list all your specs?

It's quite loud with stock fans. I'd recommend replacing them with aftermarket ones if you do.

Sure thing:

Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz

Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2 CPU Cooler

G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB @ 1600MHz

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'D

OCZ Agilty 3 60GB SSD

Samsung 500GB SATA2 HDD

Corsair HX520W

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Zalman Z11+

I know I need a new case for the H100i, been looking at either the 650D or the Arc Midi R2. About the fans yes, I was thinking of replacing them with the NF-F12's from Noctua.

Quick question about HDD's, will a 1TB Caviar Blue SATA3 be bottlenecked by a SATA2 Port? The only reason I ask is because one of the main reasons for me to upgrade is for the SATA3 Ports. I plan to have 2 SSD's and a couple of Caviar Blue's.

I know I need a new case for the H100i, been looking at either the 650D or the Arc Midi R2. About the fans yes, I was thinking of replacing them with the NF-F12's from Noctua.

Quick question about HDD's, will a 1TB Caviar Blue SATA3 be bottlenecked by a SATA2 Port? The only reason I ask is because one of the main reasons for me to upgrade is for the SATA3 Ports. I plan to have 2 SSD's and a couple of Caviar Blue's.

If you upgrade your mobo and case, I'd recommend going matx with a 350D. The 650D is older and uses a ghetto usb 3.0 passthrough from the back motherboard i/o for the front usb 3.0 ports. Also, matx nowadays can do pretty much everything you need an d is more practical in that it takes up less space.

NF-F12's are great but there are cheaper options that would help match a theme.

Hdd's will not be bottlenecked by sata2. 

I'd say get a 120GB ssd, a new gpu, a cooler and MAYBE a new case/mobo.

What's your budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you upgrade your mobo and case, I'd recommend going matx with a 350D. The 650D is older and uses a ghetto usb 3.0 passthrough from the back motherboard i/o for the front usb 3.0 ports. Also, matx nowadays can do pretty much everything you need an d is more practical in that it takes up less space.

NF-F12's are great but there are cheaper options that would help match a theme.

Hdd's will not be bottlenecked by sata2.

I'd say get a 120GB ssd, a new gpu, a cooler and MAYBE a new case/mobo.

What's your budget?

Thankyou for your help @WoodenMarker!

I was thinking mATX, though I plan to keep my RAM so was looking for some Black and Red Varients, but could only find the Maximus V Gene which was a lot more expensive than a Z77A-GD65.

The colours in my current mobo disgust me, ashamed to post pics of it :P

Regarding the SSD's I planned to have a 128GB 840 Pro and a 250GB 840 (or Evo) and give my current SSD to my brother. Then get some Caviar Blue's to put in.

As said above, I was thinking either Black and Red, which allows me to keep my RAM. Or a black and yellow, was looking at the Z77 mPower and the Avexis RAM or the Kingston Na'vi.

I don't really have a budget though would like to keep it under £1000 if I can, was looking at a 7970 but want to wait for 9xxx series (@CoolBeans).

I was thinking mATX, though I plan to keep my RAM so was looking for some Black and Red Varients, but could only find the Maximus V Gene which was a lot more expensive than a Z77A-GD65.

The colours in my current mobo disgust me, ashamed to post pics of it :P

Regarding the SSD's I planned to have a 128GB 840 Pro and a 250GB 840 (or Evo) and give my current SSD to my brother. Then get some Caviar Blue's to put in.

As said above, I was thinking either Black and Red, which allows me to keep my RAM. Or a black and yellow, was looking at the Z77 mPower and the Avexis RAM or the Kingston Na'vi.

I don't really have a budget though would like to keep it under £1000 if I can, was looking at a 7970 but want to wait for 9xxx series (@CoolBeans).

How do you feel about just Black or black/blue? What color is your ram? Blue or red? (Just to make sure)

Dat pink i/o. If not for that, a blue/white theme is actually very workable especially with a white case and blue or white leds.

It's not worth the extra money for the pro or maybe even the Evo. The higher tiered ssds right now are close enough in performance to each other that you should really just be picking whichever is cheapest since you wouldn't notice the difference. 

So you're looking to add 8GB more for for 16GB?

Waiting for the 9000 series would be good.

How do you feel about just Black or black/blue? What color is your ram? Blue or red? (Just to make sure)

Dat pink i/o. If not for that, a blue/white theme is actually very workable especially with a white case and blue or white leds.

It's not worth the extra money for the pro or maybe even the Evo. The higher tiered ssds right now are close enough in performance to each other that you should really just be picking whichever is cheapest since you wouldn't notice the difference.

So you're looking to add 8GB more for for 16GB?

Waiting for the 9000 series would be good.

I would love an all black rig, black and red or black and yellow. My RAM is coloured Red so the blue option is already out, and having parts of the motherboard blue I fancy a change.

I know, that I/O ruins everything :P

Didn't know that, I just heard good things about them and their warranties really sell me.

I don't mind I do work with Adobe AE and Sony Vegas so the extra RAM would help in that respect. Even some Cinema 4D work from time to time. Though I think the 8GB is sufficient for now :)