Exsectus by Maki Role - First place in the Thermaltake UK Modding Trophy! Back from Computex 04/07/16

CFr3Cq.jpg

Hello everybody!

I was fortunate enough to be picked to be part of Thermaltake's new UK Modding trophy, alongside fellow modders HackJoe, F3nixM0ds, Davido_Labido and Abbas-it.  The aim of the contest is to try and do something novel with their new chassis, the Core X31, as well as their new cooling lines and PSU kit.

First up, a big thanks to Thermaltake, Scan and everybody else who helped to organise this competition, I'm sure it's going to be a blast!

So what am I going to do?

Well, unlike my usual projects, this is going to be much more flexible.  I'll be working on the fly rather than doing everything in advance, this is mostly thanks to the hard deadline of April 27th where the mod needs to be complete.  It should hopefully be an interesting ride for anybody who wished to follow the project too.

My current plan is to try and pretty much remake much of the case, quite frankly.  I'd like to rearrange the interior massively, utilising many of the techniques I've learnt over the last couple years.  This project is going to be fully watercooled, but hopefully in an interesting way.  Although I have to apologise in advance that there won't be any rigid tubing.  Unfortunately because Thermaltake's rigid lines aren't available yet in the country, they insisted we all keep to flexible.  That said, it's merely a hurdle that needs to be cleared, fingers crossed I can make it work.  I'm going to be using a purple and silver/black theme inside, along with extensive RGB implementation through the motherboard, fans and lights.

So let's get this show on the road shall we?

Into the workshop to take some pics of the first bunch of hardware.  I'm still waiting on the motherboard, GPU, CPU and some of the fittings, but a good chunk of the stuff has arrived.

Starting with the case:

yEyyH7.jpg

tecSXV.jpg

There are certainly a lot of options for the interior here, although mostly if you're a bit boring :D  I'm going to be stripping most of this and turning the insides into something quite unique.  Construction of the case itself feels pretty standard for one of this type, lots of rivets and steel as expected.

First of the hardware:

5qnHC3.jpg

Fiae4J.jpg

Here we have the PSU, RAM and SSD.  Solid kit, although I'd have preferred the PSU be 100% modular for the sake of cabling.  That said, it's only the 24 pin and the 8 pin, so I really can't complain much at all.  One stick of RAM is a little odd from an aesthetics point (along with missing out on dual channel) but again really isn't a big deal.  The most important bit IMO is that the stuff all looks pretty good, which is a great starting point.

WC Gear:

JvOB5O.jpg

Holy moly that's a lot of stuff!  I opted for 2x of the 140mm rad kits rather than 240mm, the two rads should hopefully fit nicely where I'm planning.

NFX7EQ.jpg

Going to be using the 140mm RGB Riing fans on this one, given the motherboard and lighting strips are RGB I figured it would be more sensible to stick with that theme.

rZfbod.jpg

The two rads.  They're certainly very solid, the paint finish is excellent too.  Not so keen on how they're aluminium when the other blocks are nickel plated copper, but apparently the coolant should prevent issues.

lrv6uz.jpg

These pump/res kits certainly feel the part, can't really go wrong with a solid D5.

qJTwyz.jpg

The waterblocks themselves really have a good weight to them, you can tell how much material went into their construction.  Very solid and reassuring.

562uue.jpg

DnQqJN.jpg

FYYfvO.jpg

j5noXA.jpg

Lots of coolant, went with pastel white as I can then experiment more.

2fggYV.jpg

Got to have plenty of fittings eh?

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

*sees makirole* Dis gun be gud.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Update

The second batch of hardware arrived yesterday, which included the mobo, GPU, CPU, fan controller and LED strips.  Thought I'd take some snaps of the new stuff, plus show you a little teaser of what I've got planned.

PpyCGG.jpg

PZu6EZ.jpg

81qpdf.jpg

Vparaa.jpg

I wasn't prepared for just how large the Strix 970 was, it's colossal considering the power of the card.  That said, it's very quiet thanks to the shear size of the thing.  Almost seems a shame to watercool it... almost.

QAJS64.jpg

rX5BV9.jpg

M0HR2j.jpg

The Maximus VIII Hero Alpha is a very pretty board indeed.  I was never a fan of the RoG red/black styling, this gunmetal/red is much more appealing to me.

5wwCS3.jpg

I didn't have any working coolers to hand, so I decided to ghetto rig up one of the cooling kits.  Works surprisingly well actually, everything is extremely quiet even when just plonked on a desk.  Always a good idea to check your hardware before modding it.

9GB4LY.jpg

And the teaser for what I'm planning.  I'll leave you to figure out what I intend to do...

Also, has anybody else found that this new software that LTT is running is bloody awful?  It's just so much clunkier updating things as the formatting is so different to other sites.  I have logs scattered around, so having to update everything individually is just time consuming.  I was already tailoring image sizes etc for each community, but now I have to be extra careful that everything I post is formatted correctly, can't possibly be the only one with this issue?

Is it D5 res/mount into 5.25 bay with the pump outside of the case? 

i3570k @4300Asus P8Z77-VKingston Fury 16Gb DDR3Asus 7970 Direct CUII TOP x2Samsung 830 256Gb, Enthoo Primo, EVGA 1000W P2 psu

Corsair K90Logitech G9xSamsung S27A750D 3D monitor, Pioneer A400Monitor Audio BR2 - 600T Enthoo Water Cooling Build blog

Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz, Radeon X800Pro 256Mb, 2Gb DDR Ram, WinXP - Retro'04 Build log

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2016 at 2:32 PM, EldarNi said:

Is it D5 res/mount into 5.25 bay with the pump outside of the case? 

Not quite, I'll leave people guessing for now...

Mini-Update

So the update I had pencilled in for this week is going to be postponed until next, some materials arrived a few days late which threw my schedule a bit.

So instead I got to work beginning the dismantling of the case.  This is only the beginning btw, much of the case is going to be replaced, I'm just doing it bit by bit so that I don't warp things by accident.

Naturally we're talking lots of rivets, although I was pleased to find that most of the interior pieces are held in with screws.  Given most people won't be doing this sort of work, I don't mind (although screws are always preferable).

UTy92S.jpg

Yeah, lots of this.
hydl8Q.jpg

In an effort to make the rivets more... riveting I tried taking some sort of 'artsy' shot of the process.  Yup there really is a lot to it, rivets.
WI3ceP.jpg

Crikey put some clothes on!

NEMvoy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And now for the update I had intended for last week!

UPDATE

I'm still waiting on my aluminium to arrive, so I can't get quite stuck in like the others right now, but I do have some cool progress at least.

Earlier I teased a render of a proposed part.  Yesterday I was able to head over to Parvum HQ so we could get it machined.  As usual they did a fantastic job, the accuracy was just perfect and all the bits just slid right in.  But what is it?  This particular piece is a proof of concept, I didn't want to jump in full scale without some level of assurance that it would work.

DSC_4816.thumb.jpg.a5b729e34a6f13bd4f919

DSC_4824.thumb.jpg.dd00836b655ad71715929

DSC_4828.thumb.jpg.3b6a8c737baa70d1f07f4

DSC_4837.thumb.jpg.7d34f5ee341b2aa6017c7

DSC_4839.thumb.jpg.398cbbe06620ede785408

DSC_4842.thumb.jpg.4e3f1696767e37a644e9e

It works!

DSC_4845.thumb.jpg.2b1da915e459d274bc07c

This should help reveal a little more about the proposed theme.

DSC_4847.thumb.jpg.70db45c251ce8be50dd34

On 11/03/2016 at 7:52 PM, potoooooooo said:

Man, i want a CNC even more now...That's so gorgeous

Then this update will be right up your street...

UPDATE!

No doubt some of you were thinking "What does that pump block do that a normal one doesn't?", the answer to that is, well, nothing.  By itself it doesn't operate any differently to the ones I was supplied by Thermaltake.  It was, however, a test bed for this thing instead:

56e6e87a92a54_Midplate1.thumb.jpg.1aa773

56e6e88671033_Midplate2.thumb.jpg.94206b

56e6e894e04fd_Midplate3.thumb.jpg.63d002

56e6e8a0ad7d2_Midplate4.thumb.jpg.c9ff73

56e6e8aba897a_Midplate5.thumb.jpg.6f5f51

Enjoy working out the loop order :P

Damn, i saw this on reddit and was blown away.

I didn't make the connection to this project, that's so sick.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!!

So you may ask, what the hell have I been doing all this time?

Well, to be frank, I don't have a very good answer for that.  This update was delayed by almost 2 weeks thanks to a problem with my plastic supplier.  I had ordered cast acrylic but they sent extruded, only found out once we started to cut it.  In short, it broke the tool and was a complete disaster.

In the meantime, I decided it would be a sound investment to pick up a vinyl plotter!  Figured it would be handy for making things like labels, fan hub stickers and of course stencils.  Perfect, also, for replacing the SSD sticker with something more in keeping with the theme of the build.

First up, I picked up a load of these rather fancy screws.  My thought was that the block could use a little colour, these looked just the ticket.
DSC_5262.jpg

And the SSD in its new form!
DSC_5264.jpg

F*** that hurt.  Bloody sticker sliced through my finger to the tune of about 4mm, ended up needing stitches on this one.

Spoiler

IMG_0878.JPG

And here we go again.
DSC_5237.jpg

DSC_5240.jpg

Cutting!
DSC_5241.jpg

The tensest part, lining up for the double sided cuts
DSC_5243.jpg

Eurgh, tapping over 100 holes is not fun.
DSC_5265.jpg

But the end result is definitely worth it

DSC_5282.jpg

DSC_5278.jpg

DSC_5273.jpg

DSC_5286.jpg

DSC_5284.jpg

Like a glove
DSC_5292.jpg

Off to Yorkshire now for the weekend, I'll fill it up when I get back.

So this looks just frakking awsome! Needz more pics now! Haha.

i7 4790K@4.5GHz-1.15V, BeQuiet! SR2, Asrock z97e-itx/ac, Kingston  Fury 16GB@1866MHz, GTX 670 2GB, 3x ssdNOW300V 300ishGB, Bitfenix Prodigy, OCZ ZT 750W Twittwit@enRodjavel

Wow! Can't believe that I just discovered this log now. Bloody Amazing and good luck with the contest!

Can someone notif me when this build has an update? Please 9_9

22 minutes ago, Yahtadi said:

just follow it.

ASU

5 hours ago, Yahtadi said:

Are you blind?

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

22 hours ago, enRodjavel said:

So this looks just frakking awsome! Needz more pics now! Haha.

You're in luck, since the deadline for completion is the 27th, I'm going to have to double time everything.  So plenty of pics over the next couple weeks :D

21 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Damn, I believe this tops p0Pe's engineering machine.

Just need to make sure it's as clean, looking forward to trying out the cable channels.

21 hours ago, Loleo said:

Wow! Can't believe that I just discovered this log now. Bloody Amazing and good luck with the contest!

Much appreciated!  It's funny, this is by far my most complex work so far but nobody knows it exists on LTT.  Seems like it's just flown under the radar, that said this forum definitely used to be busier not that long ago.

20 hours ago, NoobCase said:

This still does nothing to reduce my dislike for people with access to that kind of cnc machines! ;)

Really digging this build even if i do not like the generel aesthetics of thermal take cases... ;) you may end up with a convert on your hands! 

:P

Tbh the only thing this build will share with the original case by the end is how it's going to be mostly rectangular.  Got some big mods planned, hopefully I'll have enough time to complete them properly.

On 15/4/2016 at 8:17 PM, Hackentosher said:

Damn, I believe this tops @p0Pe's engineering machine.

Can't have that, can we now @Maki Role.

I am excited to see how the graphic card will look on the backside of that distributing plate. Seeing you do that makes me sad that I never got my "flatpacked" concept realized :D

The next 10 days are going to be fun for you. Good luck, and I look forward to the end result! You did not even need a case to be a top contender in this one.

Really love your builds. You made me join the LTT forum just to comment on it. I read through all your build logs, and I am really amazed by your designs. Your renders are breathtaking as well.

On a more technical question, what are the dimensions of the flow channels you are doing in your custom blocks? I'd think it needs an area similar to the standard tubes that would be used, but I would like to be sure.

Thanks!

Another Maki Role!!!!

Instant sub after seeing Aetos.

Keep up the good work.

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k