Worth upgrade i5 2500 to an i7 2700k for 170€

nunocv

Title says it all, I wont be overclocking.

Why did I study Haskell? 

are you doing rendering and editing and 3d modeling all the time?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

are you doing rendering and editing and 3d modeling all the time?

Not really... Just getting the 100% CPU usage in some games 

Why did I study Haskell? 

Lets be honest here, you are getting the 2700k not to overclock?

I would honestly ask you to get the 2700 without the k and use it to replace the 2500.

Saves money.

Just now, nunocv said:

most games won't utilise the additional threads.

I wouldn't invest my money into it - so wouldn't recommend you should.

look for an updated CPU/motherboard instead

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

1 minute ago, nunocv said:

save up and go to a skylake i5 or i7

you can make at least $150 from selling your current mobo+cpu to put towards that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Xenift said:

Lets be honest here, you are getting the 2700k not to overclock?

I would honestly ask you to get the 2700 without the k and use it to replace the 2500.

Saves money.

It is a used i7...

Why did I study Haskell? 

You won't see any differences in games because most of the games are not optimized to use more than 4 cores , so if you are not editing or rendering video regularly than you should save your money.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

save up and go to a skylake i5 or i7

you can make at least $150 from selling your current mobo+cpu to put towards that

3 minutes ago, iWearKiltz said:

most games won't utilise the additional threads.

I wouldn't invest my money into it - so wouldn't recommend you should.

look for an updated CPU/motherboard instead

What do you recommend for a good upgrade? I have a 212 evo so i can OC

Why did I study Haskell? 

Just now, nunocv said:

It is a used i7...

My point exactly, why pay 170 if you are only going to use like 3/4 the worth of it.

Find a cheap 2700, or get something really worth your money, in this case saving up for a mobo and cpu upgrade or a gpu upgrade is a more viable and sensible option.

This is of course if you do not require the hyperthreading to a point that without it, you lose 30% performance on what you are doing. (Sounds confusing? Ask and ill rephrase. Lol) 

3 minutes ago, nunocv said:

6600k or 6700k

even the 6600k would be a big improvement over the 2500k

a Z170 motherboard like the asus Z170-a is less than $150 too

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Xenift said:

My point exactly, why pay 170 if you are only going to use like 3/4 the worth of it.

Find a cheap 2700, or get something really worth your money, in this case saving up for a mobo and cpu upgrade or a gpu upgrade is a more viable and sensible option.

This is of course if you do not require the hyperthreading to a point that without it, you lose 30% performance on what you are doing. (Sounds confusing? Ask and ill rephrase. Lol) 

Not confusing at all. I just need a faster CPU, 4 threads is enough for games I know

Why did I study Haskell? 

2 minutes ago, nunocv said:

You have said in the first post that you wouldn't be overclocking xD!

Okay then,

Anything from skylake, broad well or haswell. If you feel uncomfortable overclocking, the non-k versions (some of which can still be overclocked - just more difficult) are so much cheaper (like seriously consider this).

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

4 minutes ago, iWearKiltz said:

You have said in the first post that you wouldn't be overclocking xD!

Okay then,

Anything from skylake, broad well or haswell. If you feel uncomfortable overclocking, the non-k versions (some of which can still be overclocked - just more difficult) are so much cheaper (like seriously consider this).

I cant OC the i7 2700k because I have a p8H61 mobo... But if i buy a new one a Z170 I can :P

Why did I study Haskell? 

Just now, nunocv said:

I cant OC the i7 2700k because I have a p8H61 mobo... But if i buy a new one a Z170 I can :P

ahh okay :P

Well like i said, one of the latest generations would suit.

6600(k), 6700(k)... whatever you want :) I can vouch for the 6700K, but it's not necessary in all situations. After that, pick your motherboard and then there you go :P this may mean an upgrade in RAM to DDR4 though - but some motherboards do support DDR3. Check before you buy!

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, nunocv said:

What about the 4690k? It is 20€ cheaper than 6600k :/

Why did I study Haskell? 

27 minutes ago, nunocv said:

Heads up, z170 dun work with 2700k.

only z77 boards work. Or some z87s.

10 minutes ago, Xenift said:

What? I know, I was just saying if I buy a Z170 and a skylake processor i could oc... Im not that dumb :(

Why did I study Haskell? 

25 minutes ago, Xenift said:

No Z87s have ever worked with a 2700k. Different socket.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.