Non-WYSIWYG editor

brandishwar
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

We (the staff) really miss BBCode as well, but unfortunately it's just not possible to implement.

One feature of the previous forum software I really enjoyed -- in part because everyone else also has it -- is the non-WYSIWYG editor function which allowed me to edit the BB-code manually. I could even take articles I posted to my blog (such as my build logs) and post them here after making a few regex find/replace operations in Notepad++ (for replacing image and formatting tags), then pasting the result into the editor and voila! Instant forum post. Please restore this option since it gives a lot more granular control over formatting, something that is quite beneficial for writing forum posts and blog articles.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

We (the staff) really miss BBCode as well, but unfortunately it's just not possible to implement.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Is there any kind of non-WYSIWYG editor option for Invision? Some parts of trying to edit posts are rather clunky, especially if you're trying to break quoted posts into multiple sections, so any kind of raw editor is better than none.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

1 minute ago, brandishwar said:

Is there any kind of non-WYSIWYG editor option for Invision? Some parts of trying to edit posts are rather clunky, especially if you're trying to break quoted posts into multiple sections, so any kind of raw editor is better than none.

Unfortunately not.

HTTP/2 203

Just to get images and videos act as normal links with flick of button would be nice. With my zoom adding more than one video/image is just pain.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's actually not just "nice to have", it is an absolute must.  Sometimes the post you are constructing gets messed up and the only way to easily fix it is clean up the code manually.  Plus, now if I start writing a post, and then leave the page, it remembers it forever unless I clear cookies, so unless I do that, or have the editor, I can never post on that thread again without posting some messed up crap first.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's actually not just "nice to have", it is an absolute must.  Sometimes the post you are constructing gets messed up and the only way to easily fix it is clean up the code manually.  Plus, now if I start writing a post, and then leave the page, it remembers it forever unless I clear cookies, so unless I do that, or have the editor, I can never post on that thread again without posting some messed up crap first.

Thing is that editor doesn't use BBcode anymore. Its all HTML. So even if you could get something messed, it wouldn't be any use to manually fix it. Think it as Word document. They are pretty close to each other now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's also very difficult to implement.

I am working on improving the issues that people have with the editor saving posts perpetually and not being able to remove quotes, though I don't know when they will be fixed.

HTTP/2 203

On 2/7/2016 at 3:06 AM, colonel_mortis said:

It's also very difficult to implement.

I am working on improving the issues that people have with the editor saving posts perpetually and not being able to remove quotes, though I don't know when they will be fixed.

What makes it difficult? 

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

What makes it difficult? 

The editor is very deeply integrated into the forum software, so allowing you to replace it at will is really complicated. I am looking into the options, but anything that we do will require a lot of work. 

HTTP/2 203

18 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

The editor is very deeply integrated into the forum software, so allowing you to replace it at will is really complicated. I am looking into the options, but anything that we do will require a lot of work. 

Have you looked into using plugins or using reddit's markup system? BBcode works

Hello

- Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

Have you looked into using plugins or using reddit's markup system? BBcode works

Hidden Content

Picking a markup format isn't the difficult bit - we would love to support BBCode, and markdown (as used by reddit) would be nice too. The problem is that it is not at all simple to implement.

HTTP/2 203

8 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Picking a markup format isn't the difficult bit - we would love to support BBCode, and markdown (as used by reddit) would be nice too. The problem is that it is not at all simple to implement.

Would it be possible to dissect the previous editor and merge it with this one?

- Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, LittleCarrot said:

Would it be possible to dissect the previous editor and merge it with this one?

No, they are very different, not least because this editor submits the content as HTML, while the old one submitted as BBCode (actually I think it was more complicated than that).

HTTP/2 203

On 2/13/2016 at 1:37 PM, colonel_mortis said:

No, they are very different, not least because this editor submits the content as HTML, while the old one submitted as BBCode (actually I think it was more complicated than that).

Have you tried contacted the Fourm Software Developers? Maybe in return @LinusTech can shout them out int Twitter? 

- Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

Have you tried contacted the Fourm Software Developers? Maybe in return @LinusTech can shout them out int Twitter? 

Requesting for BBCode compatibility got them very unpopular with forum devs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

The developers of the forum software used by, among others, the NHL, aren't going to do anything because someone tweets at them. There are more effective ways of contacting them, but they have made it clear that they will not be supporting a non-WYSIWYG editor.

HTTP/2 203