WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

For my gaming rig/workstation i have a Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD boot/programs drive and a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black for bulk data and games...its almost filled up!

For my laptop I have a Sandisk Extreme II 120GB SSD and a 320GB Western Digital Scorpio Black in an optical caddy, I also have an 20GB MSATA SSD that I use for Linux.

For the family computer again I use a Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD and a 2TB Western Digital Green drive.

For all of my clients, friends and family that need new hard drives I always choose WD and recommend them highly.

Unfortunately I dont have external storage or a NAS, all I have is flash drives. Western Digital and Sandisk are my 2 most trusted storage companies

Facebook share Weezl Kremer: https://www.facebook.com/weezlwazltoff?hc_location=stream

Facebook share for Tech-Correct Computer Repair: https://www.facebook.com/techcorrect

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I just bought a adata sx900 ssd 256 gb drive and already had a 2tb wd caviar green....I used this configuration so I could have some more speed for booting...the 2tb drive now is just my mass storage...

thanks linus you rock...thanks for all the great info...

I'm using a 1TB WD green drive as boot and storage, and I'm planning to get an SSD and a WD black 2TB when I upgrade my rig.

I have three machines and they all have SSDs as system drives for speed. Two are Intel 240GB 520s because they are good ones and five years warranty and were on sale at NCIX. In my 7 years old laptop I have replaced the hard drive with a 320 Intel SSD and it's like a new machine. For storage, I use space in my two main machines and I have Western Digital drives only because I think they really are the BEST. They are all Black drives, two 2TB Blacks and two 1TB wich are used in Raid0 and is where my main Steam games are. In the same tower there is one 2TB Black to backup. I like the speed and garanty on the Black drives. In another smaller MiniITX I have one 2TB Black split in two partitions to keep data for the Windows 8 and also OSx dual boot. I forgot that I also am using Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD to boot the OSx from on the Mini ITX. I use this so I have the most reliable and fast systems possible. My next project will be to get a NAS so I can centralize all this backup space and have better acces for all devices like tablets using wireless access, when I have the money. This NAS will be using Western Digital Reds as they are made for NAS and operate 24/7 and have a good three years warranty. I also have a 60GB Samsung Pro that I use here and there. It was bought to go in an old Win XP machine that was loaded to speed things up at decent cost but it did not work properly, MB is too old and has the first Sata so no advantage at all speed wise and no way to use Trim. So, that is my main reasons for my drives. Getting one Red 4TB would be a gift from heaven and an incentve to purchase my NAS box sooner so my data backup gets centralized and better managed overall.

I am using a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD as a boot drive and a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB HDD for mass storage. After searching the web and comparing different storage solutions against each other I came to the conclusion that a simple SSD for boot and HDD for mass storage configuration would best suit my needs. And indeed it does. I'm very satisfied with this setup.

My computer: Intel i5 4670k@4.4Ghz, NVIDIA Asus GTX 760 DirectCu II OC, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz 2x4GB Kit, MSI PC-Mate G41 Z87 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12P heat sink, beQuiet! L7 550W power supply, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD, Corsair Carbide 200R case

I use my desktop for a lot of different stuff so I have a lot of drives in it:

-125GB OCZ Agility 3 for OS and "normal" other software. I bought that because it was on sale at the time and I wanted to try out the SSD-experience. I will never go back to HDD for OS!

-2TB Seagate Barracuda Green for Steam- and other games/software that requires loads of space, I had this one lying around from a dead PC that was given to me for free, so... IT'S FREE

-3x 1TB WD Caviar Black in RAID 0 as a Volume to record gameplay-footage to and as a scratchdisk for editing it. These were also given to me for free, I guess the owner didn't realise, what he was doing.

-750GB Samsung ??? (can't read the label) as a Backup-drive since it's "only" SATA 2 3.0Gb/s. This one was recovered from a broken external enclosure.

-3TB External Harddrive (enclosure made by CN Memory, no idea about the actual drive inside) for my huge movie+music collection.

So yeah, it came together over time, the drives I like the most are the WD (seriously) since they are nice'n'fast.

-

Other community website: ItsJustMidnight (http://pausegaming.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49136#post49136)

Currently I am running a Samsung 240gb 840 SSD as a boot drive because hard drives are so slow, and it came with Far Cry 3.

For storage i have 2 3tb Segate Barracuda drives because i have a an excessively large steam library, they have 1tb platters, and they were on sale at NCIX

My setup is the following:

Samsung 830 128GB - Main windows and program drive

2x WD Velociraptor 150GB in Raid 0 - only for games and steam

1x WD EARX Green 1.5 TB as storage

Why the SSD? - itn't it obvious?!

Why the Raid0? - I had one spare Veloci from before I upgraded to an SSD for Windows etc. and got the other one cheap from ebay, because the 150GB weren't enough for games.

Why the WD Green? - When I bought the parts of my computer I didn't know how much storage I'd need, so I was looking for 1.5TB drives and has this one recomended to me from a friend. But now I need a lot more storage, because since I started studying engeneering here in Germany the CAD and simulation files are taking over.

Facebook Share from Donat: Link

Twitter Share from @xmodder: Link

other Community share as xmodder: Link

some of it is in german due to the fact that I am located in Germany, hope it doesn't minimize the chances :D

New: | Intel Core i7 4790K @4.6GHz w/ Corsair H105 | Asus Z97-AR | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133MHz | Palit GTX 770 | Corsair RM650 | Plextor M6e 128GB  | Seagate 2TB SSHD | Win8.1 Pro 64-Bit | Corsair Vengeance RGB MX Blue | Logitech G500 |

I'm using a WD 500gb (storage) caviar blue and an OCZ Vector 128gb ssd (boot). I started out with only the mechanical drive because I couldn't afford anything better and then I bought an ssd because I had the opportunity to get it with a good discount. I also have an external seagate 1Tb drive to store movies, files in general and backup.

my system is running ssd boot disk OCZ vertex 4 128gb 1 old 5400rpm WD drive for my movies ETC and 1 WD drive 7200rpm for my games from steam origin and uplay would love to swich out the 5400rmp one hope i will :) <3

Cpu: intel i7 4790k    Motherboard: MSI GAMING 5   GPU:Nvidia GTX 980Ti   PSU: Corsair AX 760 PSU  RAM:Crucial DDR3 Ballistix Tactical 24GB RG  SSD: OZC Vertex 4 128GB  HDD: 2x1tb WD  Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT Snow edition! 

I'm using my WD blue 640 gb hdd from prebuilt pc that i bought some years ago and havn't uppgraded yet.

I use

120gb SSD for OS

500gb HDD for games 

1Tb HDD for movies and series and other stuff.

This setup because can't really afford any other configuration. Used to have 1Tb HDD external but it died suddenly.

I´m running a Samsung 830 128GB and an WD Caviar Black 1TB. The SSD is used for windows, chrome etc. while I use my HDD for games. Documents and such is stored in the clouds!

Amazing giveaway! 

2 Seagate Baracuddas for my PC for at that time the caching system and speed of the baracudda was one of the best economically priced storage solutions.

1 WD Green 2TB drive for my NAS since it's the cheapest WD drive I can get that provides me with big enough storage for backups, movies, music and photos. I shouldn't run the slower green drive for my NAS but well, I had to save money.

A 256GB SSD for my macbook for the PURE SPEED when I do short movie rendering on it.

Twitter share with Twitter handle @LoveCupid02: https://twitter.com/LoveCupid02/status/377799932800802817

Facebook share from Brian Wong: https://www.facebook.com/LoveCupidAngel/posts/10202113570389034

I use 128GB SSD for OS and most used work related programs. 1TB HDD without backup and 1TB HDD for important files with 1TB backup and 250GB cloud storage.

128GB SSD

3x 1TB HDD

250GB Cloud storage

Okay so firstly i wanna thank Linus and WD for making this giveaway possible.

So here it goes. 

Currently i own two desktops with Seagate barracuda 1TB and WD 500gb in them plus two laptops both of them have 500GB hitachi drives. I also own couple of external hard disk for transferring data from one to another. Its not the best but it runs if i want to share with one another or to another device. I haven't owned a NAS, i didn't even know about NAS couple of weeks back. So there's my story and entry.

Twitter link https://twitter.com/anmolberi/status/377800713562120192

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE. 

I have a WD Caviar SE 160GB as a boot drive and a WD Caviar Green 1TB for storage. I use this type of setup because all WD's drive i have ever used are still working an because they are very reliable; i use this setup because this were all the drive i had for building my pc.

I am currently running a 128gb ssd (samsung 830) and a 500 gb drive:

I do a lot of after effects and 3ds max work, therefore I would like to run a RAID 1 system to get more storage for the huge raw files I often need to move :)

I'm running a Javelin S4, based on the recommendation of Linus for an entry level NAS. So far it has worked flawlessly with a RAID 1 3TB config. I've got a 3TB USB3 External HDD in route that I will be using for backups of my NAS. I made a nifty diagram to help me figure out how I want to eventually configure my storage solution if anyone is interested.

post-4278-0-90515400-1378908901_thumb.pn

Other than that, I've got a Vertex 4 as my boot drive.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BugHarb/posts/10101423892411514

Twitter: https://twitter.com/RockerBug17/status/377798557857632256

Member 4250

Sweet! WD swag!

Alrighty then, my current storage consists of:

Desktop:

1x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD - Boot, Apps, Cache.

2x Seagate 2TB 7200.14 - Documents, Photography, Music, Video footage, Tools for my home business (Operating systems, apps, drivers etc).

1x Western Digital Blue 640GB - Games

Laptop:

1x Samsung 840 120GB SSD - Boot, Apps, Cache, Docs, Light photography (for editing on the fly).

1x 1TB Samsung/Seagate External drive (Came out of my laptop)

Samsung SSD's because... It's Samsung! Incredibly fast and reliable, and 128GB is all I need in a boot drive. Windows 8 Pro (on the desktop) boots in 8 Seconds, not that it matters with my computer being on 24/7 (Folding@Home), But it does matter when I need a quick reboot to clear things.

I get the same performance from my laptop with it being almost Ultrabook spec, boot time is incredibly fast on both the Samsung SSD's.

The two 2TB Seagate's, they were super cheap at the time, and I needed a big storage upgrade for my photography. I'm kind of worrying at the moment as I currently don't have any redundancy... :( They're currently being used for my main Photography storage, Some music (I have 2.2TB's worth on DVD, and yes... That's around 500 disks... I'd love to get them on to a hard drive or two). Documents which are important, and backed up regularly to various free online storage options (Dropbox, Skydrive and the likes). And Video recordings which I like to do along with photography.

The 640GB WD Blue is pretty self explanatory... Games, games and more games :P Though it is almost full .-.

Future Plans:

I have actually recently started acquiring some old 771 server stuffs... I'm planning on building a redundant storage server to house all of my data in to one place (while on the go and at home).

So far it consists of two Intel Xeon E5472's (Quad Core, 12mb cache and all that good stuff). These were given to me by a good friend of mine. I also just recently won an eBay auction for a Intel S5000PSL Dual Socket motherboard for super cheap (£18 + £9 Postage! Bargain!). And I've actually this second just received a 1gig stick of DDR2 FB-DIMM to test the system.

I also have a couple of PCI-X 4Gb fiber cards which I also got from the bay, cost only £5  for 5 of them! One will go into my main rig (PCI and PCI-X are compatible which is nice), and a couple will go in to the server.

If I do win any of the drives in this competition, they will go straight in to this storage server I'm building up. I may even give the 2x 2TB Seagates I have away on the forum as a kind of thank you to the community. :)

If anyone is interested in the storage server build I'm doing, I might start a build log up. :)

Facebook - Jamie Ryan: https://www.facebook.com/jryan.net/posts/10201781762244256

Twitter - @jlryan17: https://twitter.com/jlryan17/status/377798923357663232

Overclock.net - Buzzin92: http://www.overclock.net/t/1425995/linus-tech-tips-competition-wd-red-4tb-giveaway/0_50  -  It seems that Overclock.net has removed my competition thread...   <_<

Boooo!

eZg01Bd.png

EVEN MORE BOOOO!

One of my 2TB drives died last week, 35,000 photos lost. :(

I couldn't build my storage server fast enough it seems :C

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

I have a 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD,     a 500GB WD Caviar Blue hard rive,     and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive.

The 240GB SSD is for my os and all my files, because I like having all my files and directories on a single drive for the speed.
The 500GB hard rive is for my weekly backups of my SSD.

The 2TB hard drive is for storing all my videos that I upload to YouTube, which is a lot of files that would never fit on my SSD.

Soon I will need to buy a new storage drive because its filling up fast...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have 2 250GB SSD's running in Raid 0, for gaming. And i have a 3tb WD HDD for storage for things like movies and such :)

just to make it interesting for the poor person who is going to have to read all these comments 

hd_zps6ecd8f87.jpg

with thanks for the competition and for the forum. PS: I'm 30....its a slow day...don't judge me. 

i am running to WD 1,5 TB Green drives with an asus ssd. becose it was wat i cod aford when i bougt it. an than i ot the ssd from a friend that whanted a bigger one