Xbox One to Support Eight Controllers at Once

Gunzkewl

Microsoft has revealed the Xbox One will support up to eight wireless controllers at once.

An update to the peripheral's product page reveals that the controllers will also boast a 30 foot wireless range.

It's worth noting that just because the console will support this many controllers, doesn't mean games will. The PlayStation 3 has supported seven controllers since it's launch, though only sports titles like FIFA have made use of this for local multiplayer.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/03/xbox-one-to-support-eight-controllers-at-once

Question is....why lol

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

8 screens on a 40' tv. theres not a lot left

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

yeah for fun when playing split screen 8 tiny screens on one big screen :L 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

You could do that on ps3. But anything above 4 would push the console to the limit even with something with low requirements such as call of duty.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Beyond two controllers I feel like you should be using a different console/tv. It's especially impractical in FPS games where you will be looking at a screen the size of an iphone.

Depends on the screen size, I suppose

This would actually make sense.

Combine this with Dual Play (look it up) and it could be kinda awesome. 

Also, it makes sense for the PS3 due to Move. For the XB1? No.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Only good for platformers, shooters like that would be terrible

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I think that would suck even with platformers with no split screens considering how zoomed out it'll have to be to fit them all and where the hell are they going to sit?? Anywhere split screens are involved you'll be dealing with parts of the screen with a resolution of 480*540 if the game runs at 1080p. Considering most graphics heavy games will be running at 720p you'd be dealing with 320x360 and that's completely unplayable at this day and age even if running on a projector. That said there's really nothing wrong with this being an option, I doubt this makes a difference in the final price of the console.

Sweet 8 controllers, still runs at 720p though so yeaaaaaaa.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Combine this with Dual Play (look it up) and it could be kinda awesome. 

Also, it makes sense for the PS3 due to Move. For the XB1? No.

most people on here dont feel the need to google something about a console, except for making fun of it

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I think that would suck even with platformers with no split screens considering how zoomed out it'll have to be to fit them all and where the hell are they going to sit?? Anywhere split screens are involved you'll be dealing with parts of the screen with a resolution of 480*540 if the game runs at 1080p. Considering most graphics heavy games will be running at 720p you'd be dealing with 320x360 and that's completely unplayable at this day and age even if running on a projector. That said there's really nothing wrong with this being an option, I doubt this makes a difference in the final price of the console.

most people on here dont feel the need to google something about a console, except for making fun of it

Dual Play is for 3D TV's. It basically has the frames on the TV alternate between players and has the glasses you wear for them filter out the player's frames only and lets him only see that.

In other words, 2 people can play on full screen on a TV at the exact same time. With 8 people, the screen would be split into 4 (each person gets a quarter of the screen) and then split into 2 (each set of 4 people sees only their 4 screens and not the other 4 players' screens). Or the frame rate could be split into 4's and each set of 2 people could have half a screen to themselves where each person would only see 2 players on the TV, but 8 people would be playing.

Note that on a 120Hz TV (3D TVs have this refresh rate) this would make each person's FPS limited to 30FPS (split 4 times, so that every 4th frame would be "your" frame). In some situations, that is fine (side scrollers), in others, it is less than desirable (FPS), but somewhat acceptable for console gamers who are used to it.

It is complicated to explain without a visual. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvzKwbivUw

So yeah, very niche, but very cool. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Dual Play is for 3D TV's. It basically has the frames on the TV alternate between players and has the glasses you wear for them filter out the player's frames only and lets him only see that.

In other words, 2 people can play on full screen on a TV at the exact same time. With 8 people, the screen would be split into 4 (each person gets a quarter of the screen) and then split into 2 (each set of 4 people sees only their 4 screens and not the other 4 players' screens). Or the frame rate could be split into 4's and each set of 2 people could have half a screen to themselves where each person would only see 2 players on the TV, but 8 people would be playing.

It is complicated to explain without a visual. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvzKwbivUw

So yeah, very niche, but very cool. 

That sounds interesting actually, I'm curious how it would perform considering the system would have to render double the frames. Also I doubt many developers will fully support this considering how niche it is but definitely interesting.

Both kinda awesome, and Why?

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

You could do that on ps3. But anything above 4 would push the console to the limit even with something with low requirements such as call of duty.

you could do that on the playstation 2 by plugging in 2 multitaps, and quite a few games supported it.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

TBH I think this is mostly intended for games like FIFA, WWE, Madden etc. where split screens aren't used and you can actually have 8 players at a time. There's still a problem with fitting 8 people comfortably in your living room, though :lol:. You'd have to have a dedicated room with a projector or a massive TV and a lot of couches/chairs.

This is a very good feature to have, as others have said, for games where you don't have a split screen whilst playing multi player. I can imagine quite a few of my friends and maybe even myself playing FIFA or a WWE game. 

I can't believe I am saying this but nicely done Microsoft. 

That xbox might catch on fire, 2 games + eight input. Tons of works for tiny console. Also, imagine 8 people sit in front of 50" TV, a bit too crowded xD

didn't PS3 support 8 controllers lol

Microsoft... you are really tryhard at this one

This would be pretty cool for sports games.