Should I install Chrome OS on my IdeaPad 100S instead of Windows 10?

1823alex

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 100S the Windows 10 model specifically from BestBuy, and I'm curious if I should install Chrome OS on it. I'm thinking about it since Windows 10, is kinda slow and I sometimes have issues with WebGL. I do like the OS, but I'd like to be able to at least install linux programs and I saw something called Chromixium or something, but haven't looked at it yet, can anyone offer some insight?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Why not just install something like Ubuntu?

I prefer Chrome OS over Ubuntu because of all the amazing track pad gestures like two finger scrolling etc.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I prefer Chrome OS over Ubuntu because of all the amazing track pad gestures like two finger scrolling etc.

That's fair I guess

isnt chrome os pretty much dead in the water at this point

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

• 4 weeks later...

If you can make recovery media to reinstall Windows 10 again, why not? If you don't like ChromeOS on the device, you can always just format and reinstall Windows.

Have you thought about trying RemixOS on it? You can even use a USB or SD card and retain your existing Windows install if you want to give it a test run. Though same goes for other Linux builds, which I would think there'd be one out there suited to your tastes. But I'm not a huge linux person, know the basics, but I can't name more than a few mainstream distros.

On January 9, 2016 at 0:26 PM, 1823alex said:

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 100S the Windows 10 model specifically from BestBuy, and I'm curious if I should install Chrome OS on it. I'm thinking about it since Windows 10, is kinda slow and I sometimes have issues with WebGL. I do like the OS, but I'd like to be able to at least install linux programs and I saw something called Chromixium or something, but haven't looked at it yet, can anyone offer some insight?

Chrome os function is limited when you are offline, you may face some issue when it comes to compactibility. I would recommend staying with Windows 10. Windows 10 is actually faster than Windows 7. You can try clean install Windows 10 and see how it's performance 

1 minute ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Chrome os function is limited when you are offline, you may face some issue when it comes to compactibility. I would recommend staying with Windows 10. Windows 10 is actually faster than Windows 7. You can try clean install Windows 10 and see how it's performance 

Use the free version of vmare and install linux on it if you want Web gl

While its a good OS, unless your PC is a chromebook from the outset it wont work outside of chromium

I would recommend using a distro and attempting to get the stuff from Chrome OS you want

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

I hated chrome OS so much on my chromebook that I installed ubuntu on it instead its not perfect but it works most of the time.  If your doing anything else besides surfing the interwebs then chrome OS is terrible its just too much work to get a program to run on it that was designed for linux.  I would personally go with I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I would stick with windows 10 and just optimize it a bit to make it faster I actually found it to be faster than 7 when you disable all the junk.  Or if you want something like windows you could try Linux Mint, I personally love linux mint.  It just depends on what you wanna do.

On 1/9/2016 at 11:26 PM, 1823alex said:

Personally I wouldn´t. You can use the windows 10 to make the thing into a hearthstone/civ 5 machine. Play them during class and shit. Speaking of, I need to look into getting a calculator that can play gb emulators for tests...

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, ELECTRO GENIUS said:

nah i won't. windows 10 is much more stable and is compatible with much more apps

I've already installed Chromixium like a month ago by the way, just didn't feel like updating this topic. By the way, no Windows 10 is not stable in any way shape or form. It's horrible, start menus don't work randomly, searching is broken half the time etc. Chromixium has been great no issues whatsoever, amazing battery life now, I can run Ubuntu apps as well as Chrome and Chrome apps. Also, Windows 10 was unable to run Chrome on the 100S because Win 10 was using so much fucking RAM, but now I can run Chrome with 4-10 tabs perfectly fine. It's amazing what Linux can do to breathe new life into a low end laptop.

1 minute ago, ELECTRO GENIUS said:

whoa man chill. i just think win 10 is much better to use, and in my experiences windows was much more stable. so dont judge.

? didn't mean to come off angry, if I did not my intent lol. Yes windows 10 is stable on good hardware, but on laptops I've had nothing but problems like what I listed above, and I wasn't even able to have like 3/4 tabs open in FF or Chrome, but that's technically partly because the hardware is low end, but also because windows RAM management, is just not there, plus with all the other stuff running in the background.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:26 PM, 1823alex said:

So...  Whats wrong with the computer?  Its more than capable.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

16 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

So...  Whats wrong with the computer?  Its more than capable.

Did you read any of my other replies?

It is not more than capable because of Windows 10. I've already installed Chromixium which is Ubuntu/Chrome OS hybrid as I said in earlier comments.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 3:38 PM, 1823alex said:

Did you read any of my other replies?

It is not more than capable because of Windows 10. I've already installed Chromixium which is Ubuntu/Chrome OS hybrid as I said in earlier comments.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/100-series/100-14-inch/

You're
talking about this notebook?

The one with a dual core Celeron and 4GB of RAM?  The worst part about this system is its 500GB platter drive.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

7 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/100-series/100-14-inch/

You're
talking about this notebook?

The one with a dual core Celeron and 4GB of RAM?  The worst part about this system is its 500GB platter drive.

64GB SSD. 4GB of RAM IIRC, might be 2 though. Pretty sure it's like a BestBuy exclusive since I can't find it on Lenovo's website or on Amazon except for the Chrome OS version. 

4 hours ago, 1823alex said:

64GB SSD. 4GB of RAM IIRC, might be 2 though. Pretty sure it's like a BestBuy exclusive since I can't find it on Lenovo's website or on Amazon except for the Chrome OS version. 

Then I don't see why this computer couldn't run Windows just fine.  Its a dual core Haswell based Celeron, with more than 2GB of RAM, and a SSD?!?!  It has no weak points.  For a $250-300 computer its kinda as good as it gets.

Spoiler

Chrome OS is for very specific, basic web browsing and word processing. Having that type of computer, you are really limiting the functionality and features of the laptop.

Deciding on your operating system matters on what you want to do. If you are mostly going to be using the internet and don't need to download anything, download Chrome OS. Keep windows 10 if you want to do stuff like light gaming. Then you can always use a linux operating system like Ubuntu. It's open source, so you could have lots of fun. Just look at what you want to do.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:26 AM, 1823alex said:

look after galliumOS based on Ubuntu but has all the guester support ChromeOS.

it doesn't have the two finger forward/back but the others work good.

I have it currently as my main OS on my c720

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello. 

I have found this guide to be very helpful. It was successful and turned my old Dell laptop into a full fledged Chromebook in about 30 min. BUT, be warned that this completely WRECKS your partitions on your computer's hard drive. So, if you do this, I hope you have some experience with partitions.