Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I am currently using the Black widow 2014. I really like it. Does anyone have this keyboard?

2 minutes ago, Vincent123 said:

I am currently using the Black widow 2014. I really like it. Does anyone have this keyboard?

I don't, but a lot of people do.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, Vincent123 said:

@kelvinhall05 what do u have?

Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S RGB with Browns. Excellent board.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Hey guys does the blackwidow ultimate 2016 still use Kailh switches or greetech? and any reviews about the Galax HOF mechcanical keyboard?

So my 4.5 year old Corsair K70 /w red switches is starting to show some age. The keys have developed a wobble and some have a rattle. Thinking of moving over to a Logitech G Pro TKL. Anyone have one or moved from a traditional Cherry switch over to the Romer-G switches? Want to know if the transition from one switch to the other was easy to get used to.

Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

I currently own the Ozone StrikeBattle tenkeyless  keyboard, brown switches, red backlight, pretty solid and light to carry around and small so If you don't worry about losing the numpad It's pretty good to save some space, i would advise getting a wrist rest but the rest pretty solid product that costs around  90€ or less (110$).

23 hours ago, Steemax said:

So my 4.5 year old Corsair K70 /w red switches is starting to show some age. The keys have developed a wobble and some have a rattle. Thinking of moving over to a Logitech G Pro TKL. Anyone have one or moved from a traditional Cherry switch over to the Romer-G switches? Want to know if the transition from one switch to the other was easy to get used to.

Thanks!

I went from my first mech (blues) to romer g recently on a g810 and so far love it

23 hours ago, Steemax said:

Thanks!

This is what the setup looks like what the g810

15063843172471587344564.jpg

1 hour ago, Dom5201 said:

I went from my first mech (blues) to romer g recently on a g810 and so far love it

I actually ended up making the switch the other day and I love it! Far superior to the reds for my needs. I love how you can feel the little "bump" in the key stroke so you know when the key has been actuated. It's teaching me to stop bottoming out my keys. 

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

8 minutes ago, Steemax said:

I actually ended up making the switch the other day and I love it! Far superior to the reds for my needs. I love how you can feel the little "bump" in the key stroke so you know when the key has been actuated. It's teaching me to stop bottoming out my keys. 

Did you get the g pro? The g810 (which is basically a non-tkl g pro) is what I have

12 minutes ago, Dom5201 said:

Did you get the g pro? The g810 (which is basically a non-tkl g pro) is what I have

Nice, yeah I went with the G Pro, wanted a TKL this time around for space especially since I rarely use the numbers

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

1 minute ago, Steemax said:

Nice, yeah I went with the G Pro, wanted a TKL this time around for space especially since I rarely use the numbers

Nice, I have a pretty small desk too but I have a drawer. Right next to it that's just a little lower in height if I ever need to move something for more space.

ok well im a little late to the club, today i got my Cougar Ultimus Blue switch keyboard, it reminds me of a old as hell PS2 keyboard i use to have in feel and the sheer enjoyment i had for typing on my old Compaq RT101 (i believe this is the correct model. picture below of the model i had), it had a tactile feel to it. it was loud clicky sound that was nice to listen to. an then in 2011... after using it for 9 yrs or so... i brought what was a more modern membrane keyboard... it was a bit faster than my old as PS2 KB but wasn't as enjoyable... i went thru several keyboards trying to find another keyboard i liked. the last keyboard i brought was a TTesport Challenger prime (brought it for the Purple LED lights... which BTW super not impressed with) and it was... well it was quiet but easy to fat finger a button and it often didn't register key strokes in fast pace gaming or typing. so you know when you have been typing for 30 minutes on some boring as hell assignment and then you look back at all your work there are bloody letters missing like a hockey players teeth. and besides that... the buttons would get stuck often and it was a real annoyance when that would happen. so i had it. i bit the bullet and ordered a cheap Cougar Ultimus and a Coolermaster MM520 claw grip mouse (yeah im short with small hands so i can claw or palm grip a claw mouse.)

so today my keyboard turned up.. within a few moments of typing on it i remembered how it felt to type on a good keyboard with a tactile feel and that sound is sooo satisfying, i went out of my way to type up an assessment, spent as much of my time typing today and mate... i tell you, mechanical keyboards really do breath life into a mundane task such as typing, and as for gaming. where i normally had to beat a button like a hillbilly beats his sister\wife just to get the damn think to work or register, mechanical switches didn't miss a damn beat (also new mouse... also amazing..i like having that thing in my hand as much as a botttle of beer or my... yep moving on)

as for build. the build on this... steel plated! STEEL!!! i was a metal worker. so when i see "aluminium" well its better than plastic... not my favourite material. BUT them looking to the cheaper options as i haven't been able to work over the past few yrs due to a injury i had to be budget. then on the cheapest mech Keeboo on PCCG Aus, there it was, Steel plated blue switch keyboard. had a bit of a look about, couldn't see much on the board in reviews, just a few people saying they liked it. so i took the leap. brought it. thinking "well hopefully its a good board... least it will have some heft to it.". MATE this thing wont bruise a toe.. it will break it if you drop it on your toe... so top ratings for weight and strength. i want a keyboard that doesn't run away when typing, like females do when i talk to them. moving on to the clicky bait switches... they baited me in with the bluuuuue. yep that feeling gave me the old nostalgia boner. as for the LED back lights. they might be set colors. but really it grew on me like pimples on a teenager. fast and everywhere!. the minimalist design is something i really do like. the lighting effects are cool. i love the ripple effect when you type and you hit a few keys and it sends several ripples across your keeboo. althought if i had epilepsy id probably have had a server episode by now..  

i was thinking last yr, how could these mechannical keeboos be as good as people think they are. till i used my mates razor blackwidow and it felt really nice to use. 
so since then i decided id get one one day. today was the day it all came together and i realised how good it feels to use something like this, and it really make your setup feel more at home, more advanced. smarter. sophisticated. high tech, more fun. it really does breath alot of life into something as boring as typing. also feels good on the fingers. to anyone who really just wants to wet there toes like they wanted to wet there... johnson... if you can't afford a high end one, even some of the low end ones are really worth getting if it gets you away from the membranes ... which from now on i shall refer to as numbbrain keyboards. also less squeaky sounding buttons. i swear if i had to listen to a squeaky WASD space or delete button for much longer id have to bite off my own ears.  

im also looking at moving into the CAD design and i am now going to be looking for a good macro mechanical keyboard. so if anyone has some suggestions on cool mech macro keeboos let me know

vintage-compaq-clicky-keyboard-rt-101-ps2-connector-bf65c791f0ce9216347fb94df738cb81.jpg

36b.jpg

On 9/26/2017 at 2:27 PM, ArcThanatos said:

im also looking at moving into the CAD design and i am now going to be looking for a good macro mechanical keyboard. so if anyone has some suggestions on cool mech macro keeboos let me know

Every now and then a good macropad or programmable numpad is sold on massdrop, so definitely keep your eyes open on there if you want a dedicated device. What I would suggest on trying first, though, is using AutoHotKey to set your numpad up as a macropad. So every button on the numpad could be a macro function if NumLock is disabled. Cheapest and very flexible solution.

On 9/20/2017 at 5:10 AM, Yar said:

Stellar Avant for life!

That's this one, right?

Avant-Stellar.jpeg

Love the layout on that, looks quite interesting. What do the SF-keys do on modern systems? Or is that just F13-F24?

On 9/26/2017 at 1:06 AM, Legracen said:

Not personally, but I can tell you what you'll need. Almost the whole keyboard is completely standard, so that's nice. However, the bottom row has an uncommon layout. The left three keys (Ctrl, Win, Alt) are all 1.5u wide instead of 1.25u. This means that the spacebar is 5.5u wide, which is extremely unusual. The only other board I know of having that is the Nopoo Choc Mini.

So, when buying a custom keycap set, you'll have to make sure to get a matching 5.5u spacebar and 1.5u mods. When buying a set like this in a group buy, these mods are often in a compatibility kit, or - if you're lucky - are part of the main kit. The spacebar is tricky, though, most sets will not offer it. When you buy a set in XDA profile, you can get a 5.5u XDA Spacebar from Aliexpress. For Cherry profile, you can get a 3D-printed one from Shapeways. Other profiles, and you're out of luck.

This is why people always recommend to go for boards with standard bottom rows. Makes your life so much easier down the road.

5 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

Every now and then a good macropad or programmable numpad is sold on massdrop, so definitely keep your eyes open on there if you want a dedicated device. What I would suggest on trying first, though, is using AutoHotKey to set your numpad up as a macropad. So every button on the numpad could be a macro function if NumLock is disabled. Cheapest and very flexible solution.

Cheers! sounds good, gotta say after one week with this keyboard im super happy. its sooooo nice to use something that has good response and tactile feel. i tried using my old TT esport challenger prime yesterday... for the love of all that is holy i cant see how i made it this far on something so damn garbage. like its mushy. and some of the keys are a blend of stiff and mushy. just not cool. 
ilkl defiantly try out that AHK that could help alot!

7 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

That's this one, right?

Avant-Stellar.jpeg

Love the layout on that, looks quite interesting. What do the SF-keys do on modern systems? Or is that just F13-F24?

Well, kind of. that's certainly the keyboard, but someone has moved some keys around. Here is an image of an un-jumbled version, although it is for a black keyboard (mine is beige/white like the image above). And for some reason the black version has slightly different-looking PrtScn, Scroll Lock and Pause keys. 

Default behavior for F13-24 is as a horizontal F1-F12, but they can be reprogrammed, as the whole board can, as well up to 20-stroke macros and typematic rate adjustment. And someone has replaced the ESC key in that image with another Windows key, moved the CAPS LOCK, the CTRL and ALT keys, as well as the tilde key. 

The feel of the keyboard is pure delight, but the noise is astonishing. Mind you, I love it. But it is NOT a work keyboard in this day and age. 

Do you have any idea where to find key caps for a HHKB?

On 10/4/2017 at 4:51 AM, Ayala said:

Do you have any idea where to find key caps for a HHKB?

Your best bet would be to search on reddit, because if there is 1 keyboard those guys like, it's HHKB. This thread might help you, but you should look for more similar ones. In general Topre keycaps are harder to find, and depending on what you want, you might be able/have to contact someone to do them custom.

I don't think many people here will be able help you.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

16 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Your best bet would be to search on reddit, because if there is 1 leopard those guys like, it's HHKB. This thread might help you, but you should look for more similar ones. In general Topre keycaps are harder to find, and depending on what you want, you might be able/have to contact someone to do them custom.

I don't think many people here will be able help you.

Thank you!

On 10/5/2017 at 12:49 AM, Ayala said:

Thank you!

Your auto correct corrected my keyboard into leopard. Had to double check my post to see if I wasn't brain damaged. 

I recently bought the Cooler Master MasterKeys PBT S with Cherry MX Brown switches!

I thought there weren't going to be as tactile as some people said it to be, but my doubts got me wrong. Currently enjoying this keyboard which is replacing my Corsair K70 Lux with Cherry MX Blue switches (Can't do assignments at night with that :O)

Also could I get really good key cap replacements for my arrow keys and key caps? I would like to customize my keyboard at some point.

20171007_212337.jpg

1 hour ago, Ramen Man said:

Also could I get really good key cap replacements for my arrow keys and key caps? I would like to customize my keyboard at some point.

You can. It has a standard ISO layout so pretty much any standard ISO keycap set will fit. However you will be limited by ISO sets which are harder to find. You can look anywhere, Aliexpress, Amazon, Ebay, Taobao, Massdrop, etc. 

I do know you can find them on UK Keycaps or Max Keys for instance.