Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
16 minutes ago, TheProfosist said:

I think you might be doing it wrong then...

5 minutes ago, Charger said:

my logic tells me that I should expect reds with orings to feel like membrane lol no change then a rubber bottom out feel.

3392d605ec233443e15aaac80c4c0dc8.jpg

11 minutes ago, Charger said:

my logic tells me that I should expect reds with orings to feel like membrane lol no change then a rubber bottom out feel.

all depends on the oring and typing style as well as how hardcore you bottom out.

Just now, TheProfosist said:

all depends on the oring and typing style as well as how hardcore you bottom out.

realistically we should not be bottoming out to type correctly on them but membrane keyboards have fucked us all over since they have to bottom out to even type.

13 minutes ago, Charger said:

realistically we should not be bottoming out to type correctly on them but membrane keyboards have fucked us all over since they have to bottom out to even type.

agreed which is why I like clears. most of my boards make the most noise coming back up after the mods.

7 minutes ago, TheProfosist said:

agreed which is why I like clears. most of my boards make the most noise coming back up after the mods.

well once mx clear silent switches are a thing you will be set although they are not nearly main stream enough for that to ever happen assuming corsair has control of that anyways.

3 minutes ago, Charger said:

well once mx clear silent switches are a thing you will be set although they are not nearly main stream enough for that to ever happen assuming corsair has control of that anyways.

damn you corsair and your overly popular cheap design with failing LEDs! *shakes fist*

I'm looking for a my first mechanical keyboard. I've done some research and decided that I want a tenkeyless design with Cherry MX Red switches as i am going to be using it for mainly gaming and occasional typing. I'm on a budget of about £100 or $140 Usd.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My purple zealios should be here spoon.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

My custom mechanical keyboard died on Thursday :( Not exactly sure what happened but all the keys on the left side are no longer responding. I pulled all the keys up and I cant get anything from them with the multimeter any longer either. However the right side is working just fine...

Soooo.... I have bought another Phantom board, 50 blue switches, 40 green switches and I am going to be making a clicky keyboard! :D

Anyone also know any good places to get a numberpad PCB/ case? I have now got loads of spare cherry switches which I would like to make into a numberpad...

6 hours ago, spwath said:

My purple zealios should be here spoon.

they are some sexy switches if only there was a good way to make them always seen lol.

4 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

My custom mechanical keyboard died on Thursday :( Not exactly sure what happened but all the keys on the left side are no longer responding. I pulled all the keys up and I cant get anything from them with the multimeter any longer either. However the right side is working just fine...

Soooo.... I have bought another Phantom board, 50 blue switches, 40 green switches and I am going to be making a clicky keyboard! :D

Anyone also know any good places to get a numberpad PCB/ case? I have now got loads of spare cherry switches which I would like to make into a numberpad...

well fix the broken one would be high on my list but hard to tell what the problem is lol.

as for a numpad I think there is one that almost seems like a kpad clone on massdrop right now but only for a few more hours before that is done

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/revo-design-custom-cnc-aluminum-keypad

51 minutes ago, Charger said:

they are some sexy switches if only there was a good way to make them always seen lol.

well fix the broken one would be high on my list but hard to tell what the problem is lol.

as for a numpad I think there is one that almost seems like a kpad clone on massdrop right now but only for a few more hours before that is done

Clear Keycaps. But still muddle the view.

Glass Keycaps. But expensive to be custom made.

No Keycaps. But not very comfortable type on.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

hey all. I might be getting some dampeners for my razer black widow ultimate 2014. any suggestions? 

it has razer greens but they are shaped like cherry mx.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

58 minutes ago, FatPenguin said:

hey all. I might be getting some dampeners for my razer black widow ultimate 2014. any suggestions? 

it has razer greens but they are shaped like cherry mx.

Razer sells an "enhancement kit"

Thats what I bought for my blackwidow 2014.

Over all awesome stuff..... 

13 hours ago, Charger said:

Haha, yeh. I am trying to fix it, however nothing I am doing is working. So I have ordered the bits for a new board as it takes like 3 weeks to get here from America...

Damn, that is one expensive numberpad! £115 for a numberpad is a little too far! Especially as the PCB from GON is only $30... Just need to find an aluminium case like that...

10 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

Haha, yeh. I am trying to fix it, however nothing I am doing is working. So I have ordered the bits for a new board as it takes like 3 weeks to get here from America...

Damn, that is one expensive numberpad! £115 for a numberpad is a little too far! Especially as the PCB from GON is only $30... Just need to find an aluminium case like that...

i dont disagree but I have not come across many good milled numpad cases. Also I hate all numpad designs I have seen just because they never fit in design style with 60% keyboards (irrelevant  statement when it would be paired with a phantom lol).

2 hours ago, Charger said:

i dont disagree but I have not come across many good milled numpad cases. Also I hate all numpad designs I have seen just because they never fit in design style with 60% keyboards (irrelevant  statement when it would be paired with a phantom lol).

I mean, it for a numberpad it is very expensive but would go perfectly with the case I have. However it wouldn't be shipped til late May and I wouldn't have it until June... Also the postage costs would be another $50 ontop of that because of the weight! I paid nearly $100 for my full aluminum case.

6 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

I mean, it for a numberpad it is very expensive but would go perfectly with the case I have. However it wouldn't be shipped til late May and I wouldn't have it until June... Also the postage costs would be another $50 ontop of that because of the weight! I paid nearly $100 for my full aluminum case.

well I think gon and winkeyless have numpads but not with milled cases

26 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

Yeh, I might just get a GON board for $30 and try and fine some sort of milled case for one somewhere...

Good luck with that. Assuming they are PCB mount you can just put it together with out a plate or case if it comes down to it.

2 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

Yeh, I might just get a GON board for $30 and try and fine some sort of milled case for one somewhere...

You are aware that the GON PCB doesn't come with soldering, right? 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

7 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

You are aware that the GON PCB doesn't come with soldering, right? 

I am aware and I have built two custom keyboards, one from GON and the other a Phantom board. I have also desoldered a entire Filco board and added my own switches to it...

6 hours ago, Charger said:

i dont expect @the pokemon kid to have a problem with a little soldering

Yeh, I will be fine :D even got myself a new soldering iron!

1 hour ago, the pokemon kid said:

I am aware and I have built two custom keyboards, one from GON and the other a Phantom board. I have also desoldered a entire Filco board and added my own switches to it...

Yeh, I will be fine :D even got myself a new soldering iron!

what iron did you get? 

2 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

Just another cheap one (Unbranded but with power control), I have never seen a point in spending more than £20 on an iron!

nor did I until I got a hakko fx-888 soldering station from @TheProfosist now I don't think I would go back to a cheap iron. I just flip the power switch on this thing and its like hot in what seems like seconds and ready to use unlike my old irons that I would have to let heat up and then they would end up too hot and I would have to make them cool down