7 Gamers, 1 CPU - Ultimate Virtualized Gaming Build Log

LinusTech

These could potentially be used for a Internet cafe.

Just remember kids, these video cards support Eyefinity too.

I want to see that, put 3 monitors per each card and give me a 21 Monitors on 7 VMs :P

any one know who is that girl at 10.38 in the video? 

last time i checked he had no female employee.

---Me Rig---

-CPU- 

Intel i7 4790k

-GPU- 

Gigabyte 970 g1

-STORAGE- 

250gb ssd

Western Digital 1tb HDD

-RAM- 

(2x4gb) 

-PSU- 

EVGA supernova 850w gold+

-MOBO- 

ASUS z97-a

-CASE-

Some ATX Sized No-Brand

-PERIPHERALS-

Some Mouse and Keyboard.

any one know who is that girl at 10.38 in the video? 

last time i checked he had no female employee.

His wife Yvonne?

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

This setup is epic!!  Clearly unRAID is one heck of a system.

Does anyone know what that keyboard (brand/model) Linus used during the game play at the end of the video is? Love the old school look.

Wouldn't work.

The rear I/O is two slots in width and the PCBs are too long for Linus to get the cards out ever again.

You could use K|NGP|Ns and pull the clips off of the PCI-E slots, but that's really expensive.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You could use K|NGP|Ns and pull the clips off of the PCI-E slots, but that's really expensive.

I actually had an idea of using PCI-E riser cables, spacing out the GPUs, and then just getting a custom case from ProtoCase to fit the bill.

I'm glad to hear you saying that.  We are just about to start testing with NVMe and we were worried about using btrfs due to this spec sheet from Intel (scroll to the bottom about File System Recommendations):  

Curious how performance holds up over time and how you configured TRIM given that they don't want the filesystem to manage discard.  Also curious if you just threw btrfs on there on a whim and it's just been working out or if you know something we don't about the safety of using btrfs on NVMe devices.

I'm familiar with that document. I might not know anything you don't. An issue I encountered was nasty firmware bug related to ACPI sleep resuming that is much better in newer firmware. 

btrfs mounts by default don't use the discard option which I understand is the important part of their recommendation (not exclusive to ext4 and xfs but perhaps they've only tested with those).

I'm actually using btrfs (without discard) -> dm-crypt -> /dev/nvme*n1 which then is completely different in appearance to the NVMe drive.

I'm familiar with that document. I might not know anything you don't. An issue I encountered was nasty firmware bug related to ACPI sleep resuming that is much better in newer firmware. 

btrfs mounts by default don't use the discard option which I understand is the important part of their recommendation (not exclusive to ext4 and xfs but perhaps they've only tested with those).

I'm actually using btrfs (without discard) -> dm-crypt -> /dev/nvme*n1 which then is completely different in appearance to the NVMe drive.

Interesting feedback.  Thanks for that.  Encryption is another feature on the roadmap for future inclusion, so good to know that's a working setup for you.

What speed are the PCI-e slots running? Each Xeon provides 40 lanes (for a total of 80 lanes), that means that each card is running at 8x?

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

What speed are the PCI-e slots running? Each Xeon provides 40 lanes (for a total of 80 lanes), that means that each card is running at 8x?

Top slot runs at 16x bandwidth while the rest is at 8x bandwidth.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Here i am sitting viewing my amazon cart, at $22,407.94 for just the PC excluding all the watercooling, case and other stuff. I really don't know how it is possible. Oh well, i feel bad for Linus for having to be the one to pjut that all together i'd be nervous ASF

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Maan!! Whoow!

@LinusTech I expected a really long video of this one. Especially considering that it is a $30k PC.

You could have asked Super Flower for their 2000w PSU and throw in 7 x 980 Ti in there.

Nah he should have got two of them in a Caselab TX10 with 7 Fury X's and get some new breaker(s) installed  to handle that much wattage.

Did I got this right. Your PC is basically running the Lime Server OS. On Lime you simply start running 7 VMs and redirect all the hardware sources the way you want to those VMs?

I'm a little bit confused because Lime seems to be really good, but never heared about it. Can you give us some more detailed informations about this Virtualisation part? How does all those KEyboards/Mouses are getting connected? USB-Hubs? Did you configured one graphics card fix for each VM, so that you never have to change HDMI cables from one to another graphics card?

Regards.

No need to say insane build ;) I guess you already knew long time before :D

Keyboard Corsair K65 LUX RGB - Streamdeck DIY - Mouse Steelseries Rival 310 - Monitors FPS: Acer XF240H 144 Hz Second: 4K LG 27UD68 - Headphone Some old Stereo Steelseries - Microphone Rode PSA 1 + Rode PSM 1 + Rode Podcaster - Webcam Logitech C270 - Case Phantek P500A - Mainboard MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY - Processor Intel Core i9-10850K - Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Graphics Card MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio (currently RIP) - Ram 32GB (2x 16384MB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16-19-19-39 Dual Kit - Storage SanDisk Extreme PRO 1TB M.2 NVMe 3D SSD, Crucial MX200 240GB, Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB - PSU beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W - Inet Download: 200 MBit/s - Upload: 20 MBit/s

- old - Case Corsair Air 540 - Mainboard ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer - Processor Intel Core i7-4790K - Cooling Noctua NH-U14S - Graphics Card ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB - Ram Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM Kit - 16GB DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24 - PSU be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM - 500W ATX 2.4

From what I've read, the issue is nVidia actively blocking their driver from starting if it detects it's in a virtual machine, not an issue with ESXi itself...

That's why recent versions of qemu allow you to hide the kvm state. But yeah they are actively blocking us, so for now it is close to impossible to passthrough recent gpu in xen for example.

Did I got this right. Your PC is basically running the Lime Server OS. On Lime you simply start running 7 VMs and redirect all the hardware sources the way you want to those VMs?

I'm a little bit confused because Lime seems to be really good, but never heared about it. Can you give us some more detailed informations about this Virtualisation part? How does all those KEyboards/Mouses are getting connected? USB-Hubs? Did you configured one graphics card fix for each VM, so that you never have to change HDMI cables from one to another graphics card?

Regards.

No need to say insane build ;) I guess you already knew long time before :D

There is a lot of information available about unRAID, the OS used in the build, on our website at http://lime-technology.com.  unRAID boots from a USB flash stick where the OS lives, and then all your storage devices are managed by unRAID.  You can create a pool of disks for high-performance or an array of disks for high-capacity.  Either way, data is protected.  The pool can be used to act as a write-cache for the array, giving you faster write performance in real-time, then moving those files to the array at night, when you're not using the system anyway.  The pool also can be used to store your virtual disk images for your virtual machines, giving them pretty decent performance, especially if you use SSDs for the pool.

The virtualization technology used in unRAID is QEMU/KVM.  However, unlike traditional Linux distributions, unRAID includes all the components required to do all of this as soon as you boot up.  In addition, it's all presented through an easy-to-use web interface.  As someone earlier in the thread mentioned, the virtualization technologies used for this are freely available to download, install, and configure on any platform, but they are not exactly easy-to-use for someone looking to do things like what Linus did in this video.

That's why recent versions of qemu allow you to hide the kvm state. But yeah they are actively blocking us, so for now it is close to impossible to passthrough recent gpu in xen for example.

Yup, and unRAID actually automatically applies tweaks to the VM configuration when an NVIDIA GPU is added so ensure no Code 43 errors.

Yup, and unRAID actually automatically applies tweaks to the VM configuration when an NVIDIA GPU is added so ensure no Code 43 errors.

Nice @limetechjon!

I think I'm familiar with those tweaks for QEMU (see the vfio mailing lists for tips on using them via libvirt and qemu options), but as @zipeldiablo mentions, it's reasonable to assume there is a risk of NVIDIA finding new ways to assert virtualization is in use to 'Code 43' with non > K1200 cards.

For me this means I use a K2200 for work related VMs to mitigate that risk besides other advantages the card has - low heat, low profile, different drivers.

That aside I might keep trying to use a GeForce card for games - which is not critical infrastructure - until NVIDIA stops doing that, which I hope they do soon.

Hopefully this comment helps someone who is targeting either games or work use.

Can you talk about the software and how did you virtualize?

You should check out the 2 Gamers 1 CPU video, he covers this step by step.

KVM with VFIO is the underlying virtualization technology, I've given a couple talks on the development of this over the past few years:

http://www.linux-kvm.org/images/e/ed/Kvm-forum-2013-VFIO-VGA.pdf

http://www.linux-kvm.org/images/b/b3/01x09b-VFIOandYou-small.pdf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhZ9eIpg2nM)

And a blog with several articles and a how-to guide:

http://vfio.blogspot.com

It would be insane if anything other than the UEFI/OVMF method is used on this system given the guest and new cards (2014 talk).  unRAID has a nice web GUI and adds some non-upstream patches that you hopefully won't need if you select your hardware correctly, but this can pretty easily be setup on a smaller scale with any modern Linux distribution and libvirt.  The hardware must support an IOMMU to make this work, like Intel VT-d.

KVM with VFIO is the underlying virtualization technology, I've given a couple talks on the development of this over the past few years:

http://www.linux-kvm.org/images/e/ed/Kvm-forum-2013-VFIO-VGA.pdf

http://www.linux-kvm.org/images/b/b3/01x09b-VFIOandYou-small.pdf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhZ9eIpg2nM)

And a blog with several articles and a how-to guide:

http://vfio.blogspot.com

It would be insane if anything other than the UEFI/OVMF method is used on this system given the guest and new cards (2014 talk).  unRAID has a nice web GUI and adds some non-upstream patches that you hopefully won't need if you select your hardware correctly, but this can pretty easily be setup on a smaller scale with any modern Linux distribution and libvirt.  The hardware must support an IOMMU to make this work, like Intel VT-d.

Just to confirm, all the VMs were running in OVMF instances (and with proper split VARS support).  The GPUs actually didn't seem to support UEFI natively, however, so I had to configure the VMs first using VNC for graphics, then add the GPUs as a secondary, install GPU drivers, then remove the VNC graphics.  While you don't see graphics output while Windows is booting, as soon as the drivers are loaded, the monitor lights up.  Pretty much standard procedure.

wat? Wish i knew that before spending two weeks installing my windows gaming vm on fedora, switching to xen + unraid o/ (IF it supports gtx980 ti)

You guys should do a tutorial like post to explain a bit how to set things up with unraid, lot of post to use qemu/kvm but not much on gaming with unraid

wat? Wish i knew that before spending two weeks installing my windows gaming vm on fedora, switching to xen + unraid o/ (IF it supports gtx980 ti)

You guys should do a tutorial like post to explain a bit how to set things up with unraid, lot of post to use qemu/kvm but not much on gaming with unraid

... There are multiple guides under the support -> videos section and Linus does a step by step for setup in the 2 gamers 1 CPU video.