USB vs PCIe Network Card?

cliodude1

I'm planning to build a MicroATX system with a big graphics card (a 7950), and I'm not sure if I could put a PCIe wireless card into the case with the graphics card possibly blocking the PCIe slot. How big is the difference is the network speed if it is something like the D-Link DWA-548 (PCIe) or the TP-LINK TL-WN822N (USB)?

CoolerMaster Storm Scout 2 Black - Intel Core i5-4570 - CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo - Sapphire Radeon HD7950 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance - Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD - Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB - Seasonic G-550 - BenQ GW2255 21.5" LED Monitor

2016 MacBook Pro 13" - Google Pixel

PCI-e network cards tend to of higher quality, that being said, you should notice difference unless you buy something really cheap and the usb 3.0 interface supports data transfer speeds of up to 5 Gbps which is much faster than the majority of internet download speeds

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Intel cards are the best and most reliable.

depending on the motherboard with one dual-slot 7950 you should be able to fit at least 1-2 extra PCIe cards

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

depending on the motherboard with one dual-slot 7950 you should be able to fit at least 1-2 extra PCIe cards

can't seem to find a motherboard like that. could you link me some? :D

Intel cards are the best and most reliable.

how do they work? haha im not a networking geek as you can tell :P

CoolerMaster Storm Scout 2 Black - Intel Core i5-4570 - CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo - Sapphire Radeon HD7950 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance - Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD - Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB - Seasonic G-550 - BenQ GW2255 21.5" LED Monitor

can't seem to find a motherboard like that. could you link me some? :D

most mATX boards have 4 PCIe Slots ...

The GPU (if it is a dual slot model) only blocks two of them ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

how do they work? haha im not a networking geek as you can tell :P

Like any network card, just Intel cards are better quality hardware and driver wise.

The same is with pretty much everything they make, including onboard drive controllers.

If intel makes any PCIe wifi cards then go for it.

Anyway PCIe is better than any USB adapter in terms of speed/latency and just that USB's tend to fail often, you only go USB if you need the small form factor.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Like any network card, just Intel cards are better quality hardware and driver wise.

The same is with pretty much everything they make, including onboard drive controllers.

Intel doesn't make PCI-E wireless nics.

Also, intel isn't the nic God, their are a lot of brands that make great nics, with equal hardware.

I would go for a TP-Link WDN4800, great wlan card.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Intel doesn't make PCI-E wireless nics.

Strange I'm using one right now.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6205-desktop.html

This Intel Wireless nic picks up nearly 3 times the number of connections then the TP-Link I have does.

And yes, Intel NIC's are the creme-de-la creme of NIC's,

which is why reviewers always make a point of mentioning

them when they are on boards along with Intel Sata controllers.

Strange I'm using one right now.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6205-desktop.html

This Intel Wireless nic picks up nearly 3 times the number of connections then the TP-Link I have does.

And yes, Intel NIC's are the creme-de-la creme of NIC's,

which is why reviewers always make a point of mentioning

them when they are on boards along with Intel Sata controllers.

I'm quite sorry then, when I was looking for a wireless card, I tried finding Intel ones, and couldn't find anything.

Again, my mistake.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I'd get the PCI Wireless Adapter....much better in my opinion and you will have the room. By why not go mITX and get something like the Gigabyte GA-Z87-N with onboard N wifi?

I'd get the PCI Wireless Adapter....much better in my opinion and you will have the room. By why not go mITX and get something like the Gigabyte GA-Z87-N with onboard N wifi?

Ehh, I'm not really a big fan of any of the Mini-ITX cases out there right now and I'd like some expandability options in the future.