I have had a G-Sync monitor since they were released. I have NEVER noticed the benefit of G-Sync on.

Profoundsoup

Am I missing something, I have had the ROG Swift since it came out and have used G-Sync on and off since then. I have NEVER noticed it making my game-play smoother or preventing screen tearing since its already a 144hz monitor. I even notice it add slight input lag. Am I missing something here?

Am I missing something, I have had the ROG Swift since it came out and have used G-Sync on and off since then. I have NEVER noticed it making my game-play smoother or preventing screen tearing since its already a 144hz monitor. I even notice it add slight input lag. Am I missing something here?

Having a 144Hz monitor doesn't solve anything if you can't actually hit 144FPS in your games.  What hardware do you have and what games do you play.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Having a 144Hz monitor doesn't solve anything if you can't actually hit 144FPS in your games.  What hardware do you have and what games do you play.

That is factually false. The lower higher refreshrate (and therefor lower refreshtime) of the monitor actively attributes to a smoother appearance, regardless of the actual framerate. As it actively increases the point at which tearing occurs by 144/60 times and has (perceived, mind you) smoother screen transitions.

i7 6700k, Titan X. I have played literally every type of genre of game on this monitor. Also what do you mean solve anything? I notice screen tearing ALOT on 60hz screens, but I have owned 3 ROG Swifts and 1 Samsung 120hz monitor. I have yet to see screen tearing in any modern game

That is factually false. The lower higher refreshrate (and therefor lower refreshtime) of the monitor actively attributes to a smoother appearance, regardless of the actual framerate. As it actively increases the point at which tearing occurs by 144/60 times and has (perceived, mind you) smoother screen transitions.

Like I said, I only have ever seen screen tearing on a 60hz screen such as my TV. Never have I seen it on a 120hz or 144hz screen except it games with bad engines or very old games.

Like I said, I only have ever seen screen tearing on a 60hz screen such as my TV. Never have I seen it on a 120hz or 144hz screen except it games with bad engines or very old games.

Well yeah, don't I agrue just as much in my comment? :P

The transition from 60 to 120/144 was probably already a big enough of a difference for you to not notice the subtle differences between 120/144 and 120/144 gysnc.

i7 6700k, Titan X. I have played literally every type of genre of game on this monitor. Also what do you mean solve anything? I notice screen tearing ALOT on 60hz screens, but I have owned 3 ROG Swifts and 1 Samsung 120hz monitor. I have yet to see screen tearing in any modern game

Is V-sync on? Both in games and the nvidia controlpanel?

That's because no modern game will let you hit 144 FPS at 1440p. You just can't do it with a single gpu. Hence no screen tearing. Now play a super demanding game on 4k getting 30-50FPS and you will notice the difference between G-sync on and off.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Is V-sync on? Both in games and the nvidia controlpanel?

I never have V-Sync on unless im playing on my 60hz TV

That's because no modern game will let you hit 144 FPS at 1440p. You just can't do it with a single gpu. Hence no screen tearing. Now play a super demanding game on 4k getting 30-50FPS and you will notice the difference between G-sync on and off.

I mean ive done tests in demanding games where I turn G-Sync on and off when I get around 45 or so fps and notice 0 difference.

I mean ive done tests in demanding games where I turn G-Sync on and off when I get around 45 or so fps and notice 0 difference.

Then you are not the type of person that would notice the difference between 60 and 144hz anyways (there is such a thing as placebo...). The stutter is insane.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Then you are not the type of person that would notice the difference between 60 and 144hz anyways (there is such a thing as placebo...). The stutter is insane.

What.......................? I cant even play on 60hz screens anymore unless im using a TV....Wait how the fuck is it a placebo when I have done side by side testing.....?

Well, that would strike me as just not noticing the differences that are there. 45 fps on a 144hz screen means the same frame is being shown 3times in a row. I would def. notice the inherent 'stutter' or non-fluent motion that would entail once you sway the camera around your character for example. 

Well, that would strike me as just not noticing the differences that are there. 45 fps on a 144hz screen means the same frame is being shown 3times in a row. I would def. notice the inherent 'stutter' or non-fluent motion that would entail once you sway the camera around your character for example. 

Yeah 45 fps is bad enough but I dont notice G-Sync improving the "stutter" at all. 45 fps is still 45 fps. This is coming from a guy who cant play at less than 60 fps so I would notice any noticeable smoothness improvement. 

Yeah 45 fps is bad enough but I dont notice G-Sync improving the "stutter" at all. 45 fps is still 45 fps. This is coming from a guy who cant play at less than 60 fps so I would notice any noticeable smoothness improvement. 

So here is how it makes a difference... Say 45 FPS (constant) is what you are getting right? So 45 FPS is 22 ms frame times with a g-sync monitor. With a 60hz (non-gsync) monitor the lowest frame time that can work for that is 33 ms. With a 120 Hz monitor the lowest frame time is 25 ms (3 frames), and with 144 Hz the lowest is 28 ms (4 frames as the third one comes 1ms too soon).

So I vehemently argue that if the difference between 28ms and 22ms isn't noticeable to you (or you just find it to be equally unacceptable, which is different, but amusing) then the difference between 60hz lock and 120hz lock also shouldn't be noticeable (again unless you just wave your hands in the air and say these both suck without trying to notice a difference).

What really causes stuttering though is that higher refresh rates fall in and out of line for small fps changes. So for example if you did the same settings with 39 fps, then you get 25.6 ms with a G-sync monitor, 33ms for a 60hz, 33ms for a 120hz monitor, and 28ms for a 144hz monitor. And then 50 fps, 20ms G-sync, 33ms 60hz, 25ms for 120hz, 21ms for 144hz.

See how that could cause pretty large stuttering? 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

So here is how it makes a difference... Say 45 FPS (constant) is what you are getting right? So 45 FPS is 22 ms frame times with a g-sync monitor. With a 60hz (non-gsync) monitor the lowest frame time that can work for that is 33 ms. With a 120 Hz monitor the lowest frame time is 25 ms (3 frames), and with 144 Hz the lowest is 28 ms (4 frames as the third one comes 1ms too soon).

So I vehemently argue that if the difference between 28ms and 22ms isn't noticeable to you (or you just find it to be equally unacceptable, which is different, but amusing) then the difference between 60hz lock and 120hz lock also shouldn't be noticeable (again unless you just wave your hands in the air and say these both suck without trying to notice a difference).

I had a 60hz ultrawide as my 2nd monitor for a week. I couldnt use it because 60hz was just awful after using 144hz. I have used everything you have said and have done side by side comparisons on everything. Also did you just compare MS delay and HZ? 

I had a 60hz ultrawide as my 2nd monitor for a week. I couldnt use it because 60hz was just awful after using 144hz. I have used everything you have said and have done side by side comparisons on everything. Also did you just compare MS delay and HZ? 

No. I compared frametimes and hz... Something that is CORRECT. See entry 15 for additional examples I added while you commented, but literally your statements are telling me you can't distinguish because neither one is acceptable to you (which is fine, but not particularly helpful in determining the difference).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

So basically, G Sync is only relevant when < 60 FPS ?

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

So basically, G Sync is only relevant when < 60 FPS ?

No,

He's saying that GSync is getting less relevant as your monitor Hz goes up, for you see less frame time discrepancy between GSync and non-GSync.

If you want easier analogy, think of email client that poll new email every 1 second, 2 seconds, 3 seconds (constant refresh rate) vs "drop the email as soon as you get it" (GSync)

The one that has the highest polling frequency gets the closest result to the one that drop the email as soon as they got it, making the difference virtually negligble.

Are you talking about STUTTERS or MOTION BLUR?
Gsync only stops STUTTERS and removes any input lag you get from vsync and FPS dropping below refresh rate.

GSYNC DOES NOT IMPROVE MOTION BLUR!!!!

You need ULMB / Benq blur reduction / Turbo 240 / Motion 240 / Sony motionflow impulse (or a CRT) to improve motion blur!

If it is motion blur reduction that you are most affected by (like I am) then Benq XL2720Z would be better for you than any Gsync monitor (Strobe crosstalk on XL2720Z with VT tweak is lower than ULMB, and overdrive ghosting is lower than ULMB (if you use AMA low trick; without AMA low trick, ULMB has less overdrive ghosting), or you can use ULMB instead.

(turn on ULMB then set brightness to 100 aftewards).

Look at this chart.

motion_blur_from_persistence.png

motion-blur-graph.png

Try ULMB then report back.

snip

That is a good point. I only addressed stutter, while motion blur is different. The only thing I would hazard on is generally speaking when monitors try to reduce their motion blur they can often overshoot colors, so looking up each individual monitor and the best settings (from reviews) is a good idea.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS