Ulmb vs g sync

jjohnthedon1

So iv already come to the conclusion that g sync is better for gaming as I prefer tear free

But my monitor is capable of both,

Is ulmb better for when I'm watching Netflix and streaming films ?

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

ultra low motion blur is just for past competitive fps games

99% of the time you will never notice the motion blur, unless its intentionally coded into the game, in which case you cannot disable it with ulmb

gsync is used for other reasons, but its way better

I would take gsync over ulmb any day of the week

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My monitor has it, I never use it over G-Sync... I only noticed motion blur when temporarily going back to an older screen I have :P

It's about what you want. Just test both and see what you prefer.

G-Sync gets rid of screen tearing but does nothing to motion blur. (By making the screen refreshare vary according to GPU refresh rate)

ULMB gets rid of motion blur but does nothing to screen tearing. (By flickering the back light on and off but for it to function correctly, the refreshrate has to be constant)

Movies run at such low FPS that neither of these are useful. They're gaming functions. 

ultra low motion blur is just for past competitive fps games

99% of the time you will never notice the motion blur, unless its intentionally coded into the game, in which case you cannot disable it with ulmb

gsync is used for other reasons, but its way better

I would take gsync over ulmb any day of the week

Gsync and ULMB should not and can NOT be compared.

Gsync is basically a combination of the old techs of Vsync, variable refresh rate (not adaptive vsync) and triplebuffering, combined into a way that removes ALL of the drawbacks each one had independently. 

Gsync should NOT be used if your framerate ALWAYS matches a fixed refresh rate.

ULMB is for games where your refresh rate matches your framerate at all times.  ULMB removes sample and hold based motion blur, and EVERYONE can see sample and hold based motion blur.  it's something inherent to all fixed pixel panel displays.  Here are some articles.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/motion_blur.htm

Note that benq blur reduction (with vertical total 1500 tweak on PRE XL2730Z Z series--this does NOT apply to XL2730Z) and Lightboost has the lowest amount of strobe crosstalk at the bottom of the screen (lightboost uses the equivalent of VT 1500 via LC panel accelerated scanout; Benq blur reduction pre xl2730Z series uses this internally for lightboost) and ONLY Benq blur reduction allows you to adjust the position of the crosstalk (you can improve input lag by 1 frame by putting the "strobe phase" to a high value.

ULMB does not use accelerated scanout so strobe crosstalk is high at the bottom of the screen.  ULMB also does NOT increase current to the backlight to compensate for strobing, like Benq blur reduction and Lightboost does.

Gsync and ULMB should not and can NOT be compared.

Gsync is basically a combination of the old techs of Vsync, variable refresh rate (not adaptive vsync) and triplebuffering, combined into a way that removes ALL of the drawbacks each one had independently. 

Gsync should NOT be used if your framerate ALWAYS matches a fixed refresh rate.

ULMB is for games where your refresh rate matches your framerate at all times.  ULMB removes sample and hold based motion blur, and EVERYONE can see sample and hold based motion blur.  it's something inherent to all fixed pixel panel displays.  Here are some articles.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/motion_blur.htm

Note that benq blur reduction (with vertical total 1500 tweak on PRE XL2730Z Z series--this does NOT apply to XL2730Z) and Lightboost has the lowest amount of strobe crosstalk at the bottom of the screen (lightboost uses the equivalent of VT 1500 via LC panel accelerated scanout; Benq blur reduction pre xl2730Z series uses this internally for lightboost) and ONLY Benq blur reduction allows you to adjust the position of the crosstalk (you can improve input lag by 1 frame by putting the "strobe phase" to a high value.

ULMB does not use accelerated scanout so strobe crosstalk is high at the bottom of the screen.  ULMB also does NOT increase current to the backlight to compensate for strobing, like Benq blur reduction and Lightboost does.

I remember linus saying he didnt like ULMB one one of his monitors reviews a long time ago

I never said gsync was like ULMB

I said they are for completely different reasons

and just fyi, a games fps is never always the same as your monitors refresh rate

the only thing like that is a video/movie, recorded at a constant fps

games always have their fps going above and below your refresh rate, unless you enable vsync which means it cant go above, but that causes stuttering

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

games always have their fps going above and below your refresh rate, unless you enable vsync which means it cant go above, but that causes stuttering

Not true.

Your game will not stutter if there is no frame lag or CPU interrupts of the rendering, as long as the framerate always matches the refresh rate.

I've gamed with Vsync on for YEARS on a CRT and have been doing so on XL2720Z also.

I play black ops 2 at 100hz/100 FPS, Vsync on, with motion blur reduction.  Not a stutter in sight.  Smoothest movement you have ever seen in your life.  Gsync and freesync don't even come close.

I also play arcade game (MAME, etc) or Street fighter 4/Ultra etc) at 60 FPS 60hz refresh rate with Vsync on.  Again...NO stutters.  Perfectly smooth game play and with motion blur reduction, everything is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I DO get stutters at 91 FPS 91 hz with benq blur reduction (yes Benq MBR (Motion blur reduction) before the xL2730Z can also strobe at bizarre refresh rates like 91hz), because the framerate often drops under 91 fps in this game.  But the amount of time the FPS remains 91 fps at 91hz and thus smooth motion with MBR on, makes it worth it.

The problem with ULMB was 1 thing.

(Actually it was 2 things).

First, ULMB did not use a different timing than normal mode.  It functioned like Benq blur reduction did at default vertical total timings.  So it had more strobe crosstalk at the bottom of the screen than the original Lightboost mode.

Lightboost used the same scaler trick as Benq blur reduction did with the "Vertical total 1500/1502" trick, which was trick the scaler into manipulating a screen size internally of 1440 pixels.  (which to us on a 1080p screen, would lower strobe crosstalk by 25%, as 1440p is 25% higher than 1080p).  Also, both Lightboost and Benq blur reduction would increase the backlight current (not sure by how much, I think it was 1.8x?) to compensate for the strobing loss of cd/m2.  ULMB does not do this, so the screen is much dimmer (at the same pulse widths).

• 5 months later...

If a high steady fps can be achieved, I like to enable ULMB instead of GSYNC. But it entirely depends on which do you value more, smoothness or clarity.

Tearing is often most visible when you make large sudden mouse movements, but if you have considerable motion blur, it might not matter if it had tearing or not, you can't still see anything clearly. With ULMB fast mouse movements can cause heavy tearing, but at least your surroundings stay clear, between those options I find this to be the no-brainer to use. When the screen is staying mostly still, the tearing is really minor with 144hz displays anyways. The games that benefit the most from it could be CS, TF2, Quake Live and such.

But then in games that don't have that hectic screen shaking, GSYNC comes to it's own. It reduces the screen tearing from little to zero, and eliminates all stuttering and jerkiness. Especially a blast if you can't hit +100fps reliably.

It's still heavily a personal preference. TF2 is my main game and I really bought a GSYNC-display just because of its massive tearing. I thought that it would have brought the clarity in the game I had never seen, but just using GSYNC didn't solve the problem. It was actually ULMB that made the experience that much better for me: the game has minor slowdowns from time to time, and it tears like hell when you're checking your surroundings as a Scout, but man has it ever teared so clearly :)

The best thing is that in the NVidia control panel you can assign to each game which mode you want to be used. I highly recommend trying ULMB out where motion blur might become a greater issue than tearing and frame dropping.

On 9/26/2015 at 2:02 PM, jjohnthedon1 said:

So iv already come to the conclusion that g sync is better for gaming as I prefer tear free

But my monitor is capable of both,

Is ulmb better for when I'm watching Netflix and streaming films ?

I like using ULMB for counterstrike. It just looks so much clearer to me.