Would a sound card benefit the Siberia V2?

Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,

Do you hear interference, distortion or things like that? If no, then chances are you would not really notice any meaningful audio quality difference (except maybe placebo) by spending money on a sound card. I recommend you save the money and invest in better headphones first.

Hey,

Since I know nothing about audio, I wanted to know if a discrete sound card would benefit with my current headset.

I have the Steelseries Siberia V2 headset (Non-USB version) and I'm currently using the audio on the Logitech G110 keyboard but I also have my motherboard audio as an option which uses the VIA VT2021 codec.

Looking at around a AUD$100 budget; give or take.

Thanks!

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Yeah, you should notice a difference, I mean with that budget you can't get anything that'll make you think that your previous audio was shit, but there will be an increase.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

yes, any asus that fits your budget and headset connectors  ;)

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Yes you will hear a noticeable deference.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

where do you buy em?

Do you hear interference, distortion or things like that? If no, then chances are you would not really notice any meaningful audio quality difference (except maybe placebo) by spending money on a sound card. I recommend you save the money and invest in better headphones first.

I used a pair of Siberia v2's with integrated audio for a while (Realtek something on my notebook, and some VIA HD Audio on my desktop which was absolutely dreadful) and then I upgraded the desktop to a DX, audio got a lot clearer, a lot more dynamic sound as well, I could listen to anything and it'd sound better than the old integrated crap. Then, due to some strange microphone problems with the DX, I upgraded to the D2X, and things got even better. 

and then I upgraded to a pair of Sennheiser PC360s, and now the Siberias sound weird, lol

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I'm kind of with you here. I think that yes you  would notice a difference however if you are happy with the sound I wouldn't really go out and purchase a sound card just because. However yes if you get a sound card the xonar cards are great and the newer creative card isn't half bad. I like the creative cards new offering mainly because they don't require an additional power connection via: PCI-E, SATA, or Floppy.

I used a pair of Siberia v2's with integrated audio for a while (Realtek something on my notebook, and some VIA HD Audio on my desktop which was absolutely dreadful) and then I upgraded the desktop to a DX, audio got a lot clearer, a lot more dynamic sound as well, I could listen to anything and it'd sound better than the old integrated crap. Then, due to some strange microphone problems with the DX, I upgraded to the D2X, and things got even better. 

and then I upgraded to a pair of Sennheiser PC360s, and now the Siberias sound weird, lol

I have the dx as well however I hate the floppy connector.

speaking of PC360, they are 200 dollars on amazon, good deal no?

Nope, nothing wrong's with the sound. I was just hoping for better sound quality. I was thinking about buying better heaphones as well, but just wanted to make sure if a sound card could help it out since I didn't really want to dispose a headset that still works. Probably just save up for some good heaphones then. 

where do you buy em?

As in where do I plan on buying the sound card? Wherever's cheaper but most likely PC Case Gear.

And thanks to everyone that replied. Was real quick! Appreciate it.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Xonar DSX :)

hd555/558 will sound similar and with a mod mic may be cheaper.

but that doesn't seem too bad of a price.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Very good headset, though it has quite hard foam on the cups, so it has a long break in period. Very comfy still. 

It is a little overpriced. I got mine for 230 usd (in norwegian equivalent), it's a good buy, as I really wanted a more "audiophile" headset, but I think I'm gonna go with headphones and a mod mic next time I'm gonna have something new, for even better sound. as t0wer said, HD555 or something similar to that (I was considering Audio-Technica ATH-M50S) and a mod mic is a very good combo. 

I have the dx as well however I hate the floppy connector.

I could do without the floppy. but it needs auxiliary power, and running a molex would be too much cable imo, and a sata would require me unplugging my DVD drive or getting a molex to sata, so I'd say it's a good choice still, as it's barely used, and most powersupplies have one. 

Hi

I also plan on upgrading to a discrete audio card.

I have the Siberia V2's and tower speakers w/ an amp connected to the onboard chipset (Realtek® ALC898).

Is it worth getting the Asus Xonar STX over the Asus Xonar DX?

Also when I turn up the volume on my amp and move the mouse around on the computer. There is a hissing noise coming from the speakers. Will a discrete audio card resolve this issue?

Thank you

Hi

I have the Siberia V2's and tower speakers w/ an amp connected to the onboard chipset (Realtek® ALC898).

Also when I turn up the volume on my amp and move the mouse around on the computer. There is a hissing noise coming from the speakers. Will a discrete audio card resolve this issue?

Thank you

I wouldn't get the STX unless you get more professional cans. The STX is not a card for 3.5mm headphones. The DX is more in line with what you'd look for with the Siberia. You may also want to look at the newer Creative cards as well. 

Hi

Thank you

You might prefer an external solution like the FiiO E10 if you wanted to eliminate interference completely, and you shouldn't get a soundcard with high output impedance (every soundcard on the market at the moment) with your low impedance headset.

>better headphones

you mean real headphones

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

I wouldn't get the STX unless you get more professional cans. The STX is not a card for 3.5mm headphones. The DX is more in line with what you'd look for with the Siberia. You may also want to look at the newer Creative cards as well. 

Thanks for the response.

I purchased the DX through NCIX and have installed/tested the card. The sounds quality is exceptional. I am really pleased with the purchase. The driver installation did give some issues like many have reported.

Don't know why I didn't get a sounds card sooner!

You might prefer an external solution like the FiiO E10 if you wanted to eliminate interference completely, and you shouldn't get a soundcard with high output impedance (every soundcard on the market at the moment) with your low impedance headset.

I purchased the DX through NCIX and have installed/tested device. The interference is completely gone now :)