UK law on learner driver engine size ?

alihazzi7

I am 18 and i just got my provisional license i don't want to buy a car yet, my older brother has offered me to teach me on his car. he has full comprehensive insurance on his "2010 65 AMG" is there any law in the UK that says i can't have certain engine size ? as a learner ?? thanks if anyone can help me :)

I've never heard of something like that. I HIGHLY doubt it. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of, if it actually exists.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

There's no specific law, though you will need to get learner's insurance, and some companies may not cover you with a large engine size. 

EDIT: Technically, you can learn in a McLaren P1 if you can get the proper coverage. As far as I know, only Motorcycles have a limit on engine size for various licenses, cars are unrestricted. 

I've never heard of something like that. I HIGHLY doubt it. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of, if it actually exists.

The fact he is letting me drive it ? i have had 5 years experience with a g25 wheel :) if that counts 

here is some of my videos 

I don't think so, but don't quote me on that.

Unlike god damn Australia. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Is that an S65 AMG? If so..... Isn't that a V12? lol

I doubt it. Have fun

System: Thinkpad T460

There's no specific law, though you will need to get learner's insurance, and some companies may not cover you with a large engine size. 

EDIT: Technically, you can learn in a McLaren P1 if you can get the proper coverage. As far as I know, only Motorcycles have a limit on engine size for various licenses, cars are unrestricted. 

Thanks for the help man :) 

Is that an S65 AMG? If so..... Isn't that a V12? lol

I doubt it. Have fun

v12 biturbo 630bhp :) with stage 1 on it 690bhp (V max removal EGR delete DPF delete ECU ramp Rev limit removal)  :)

Theres no limitation on what vehicle you can drive as a learner, but you'll find that insurance on it will be through the roof, even learner insurance (I recommend collingwood, I'm with them at the minute whilst I'm learning)

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Theres no limitation on what vehicle you can drive as a learner, but you'll find that insurance on it will be through the roof, even learner insurance (I recommend collingwood, I'm with them at the minute whilst I'm learning)

do i need insurance or the car ? because the car is fully insurance'ed 

I am 18 and i just got my provisional license i don't want to buy a car yet, my older brother has offered me to teach me on his car. he has full comprehensive insurance on his "2010 65 AMG" is there any law in the UK that says i can't have certain engine size ? as a learner ?? thanks if anyone can help me :)

No law regarding that. But he needs to have 3 years of experience to teach you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

do i need insurance or the car ? because the car is fully  theinsurance'ed 

If you're not on the cars insurance then no you can't drive it. You either need your own learner insurance or you'll need to be a named learner driver on someone else's insurance. Either way, unless you've a lot of money you won't get any insurance company giving you anything.I couldn't even get insured on my dads mini cooper, as I'm a learner.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Call the insurer and ask or read the contract.

I doubt any insurer would cover a learner in that car, but if they did, and someone paid the huge premium you could. Of course if you want a full manual licence, you'll have to take your test in a manual car and in that case it would be wise to learn in one.

For cars there is no limit.

For bikes, 50CC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

If I want to be honest with you, I would not start driving in an AMG merc for several reasons:

1: it is stupidly powerful. it can give you a false sense of confidence that you can drive a powerful car, and it can be really dangerous, as you might break many laws and drive harder than you can, and as you have not driven a real car ( massive difference between any simulator and real life) lets assume you cant drive anything, and learn from there

2: insurance: you must buy a learners insurance on the car, as your name must be on the car itself. As you are 18, for a 1 liter small hatchback ( fiesta/corsa/polo) will be around £2000...

3:drive manual: it is more like extension of 1: you want to learn how to drive a manual car, it will help you big time understanding how the car and gears work, and give you a full licence

Wait we have restrictions on what learner drivers can learn in? I thought that was something that only applied to P platers & learner motorcyclists..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Wait we have restrictions on what learner drivers can learn in? I thought that was something that only applied to P platers & learner motorcyclists..

Yeah I think so, I have a friend who is a car guy that I thought said there was. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Yeah I think so, I have a friend who is a car guy that I thought said there was. 

Damn. That never used to be the case, at least here in NSW. Then again, it wasn't THAT long ago we only had to do 50 hours, not this 120 hours or something.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

If you're not on the cars insurance then no you can't drive it. You either need your own learner insurance or you'll need to be a named learner driver on someone else's insurance. Either way, unless you've a lot of money you won't get any insurance company giving you anything.I couldn't even get insured on my dads mini cooper, as I'm a learner.

Well the dudes brother has an S series AMG merc. im pretty sure they have enough money to insure him on it... 

Though i would advise learingn on something more modest anyway. Its better to start small and then go for the bigger ones, otherwise it may end bad with you being overconfident with your abilities which you have none. (even if you have 1000s of hours in a simulator)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

We don't have restrictions on L's it's Ps that we do.

Feel like this thread was made to say his bro has an expensive car lol. What country would require you to buy a new car to learn in? Logic?

I am 18 and i just got my provisional license i don't want to buy a car yet, my older brother has offered me to teach me on his car. he has full comprehensive insurance on his "2010 65 AMG" is there any law in the UK that says i can't have certain engine size ? as a learner ?? thanks if anyone can help me :)

I am in the uk, and there is no law or policy regarding the engine size of a car that a learner can drive. But, I really wouldn't suggest learning in in your older brothers car.

As for insurance, you will need to be on your brothers insurance policy to drive his car on public roads. And you can then only driver it when there is someone sitting with you in the passenger seat, and that person is required to have a full UK driving license. They also need to have had that license for a minimum of 3 years. And it would be illegal for the person supervising your learning process to use their mobile phone.

Best if you and your brother just look at the information in here, and I would also suggest you just hire a driving instructor. Learning from family can and will cause arguments.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/overview

Edit: Make sure to learn in a manual transmission car, and to pass your test in a manual transmission car. In the UK there is Full UK Auto driving license, and full UK Manual driving license (Cat b). If you learn in and pass your test in a car which has auto transmission, then you are not legally entitled to drive a manual transmission car on uk roads.  

Also, nice drifting in LFS. But you will find driving a real car vastly different to driving in a video game. 

I am in the uk, and there is no law or policy regarding the engine size of a car that a learner can drive. But, I really wouldn't suggest learning in in your older brothers car.

As for insurance, you will need to be on your brothers insurance policy to drive his car on public roads. And you can then only driver it when there is someone sitting with you in the passenger seat, and that person is required to have a full UK driving license. They also need to have had that license for a minimum of 3 years. And it would be illegal for the person supervising your learning process to use their mobile phone.

Best if you and your brother just look at the information in here, and I would also suggest you just hire a driving instructor. Learning from family can and will cause arguments.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/overview

Edit: Make sure to learn in a manual transmission car, and to pass your test in a manual transmission car. In the UK there is Full UK Auto driving license, and full UK Manual driving license (Cat B). If you learn in and pass your test in a car which has auto transmission, then you are not legally entitled to drive a manual transmission car on uk roads.  

Also, nice drifting in LFS. But you will find driving a real car vastly different to driving in a video game. 

thanks for the help. he read all the comments and now i am going to get a 1.2L 2014 corsa tomorrow.