Need help with speedfan

GER_T4IGA
Go to solution Solved by 0ld_Chicken,

Yes I did but when I set it manually that is ignored. There mutiple places where imo the settings interfere with each other and I don't get the way anything works anymore becasue of that.

EDIT: I have to uncheck automatic fanspeed when I am settingh it manually (pretty logical right)

yea it is because there are a few ways to control the speeds with speedfan (manual, auto, and advanced fan curves).  

-manual-as you know, uncheck automatic fanspeed and this should ignore any minimum fan speeds set (ive noticed sometimes cpu fan wont stop completely but go very slow even at 0% manual)

-auto- this changes depending on mobo but this is where selecting fans under temperatures in the temperatures tab makes a difference, as well as minimum and max fan speeds. in the advanced tab you would select one of the control methods other than manual under your motherboard chip.  I dont really like this control method and have not played with it too much

-advanced fan curves- gives you the best control and will follow the minimum and max fan speeds set as well as the fan curves. 

got the manual right here. Any suggestions what to search for?

I would search for an area that tells you which fan headers are controlled which way.  some (probably CPU, maybe one other) will be pwm controlled and I would guess 2 others will be "4 pin" but will be controlled via DC making the 4th pin a dummy.  Then I think you'll have 2-3 others that will provide a steady 12v DC.  

any other information in there about how the fans are controlled would be helpful

I have my cpu 4-pin-fan connected to my motherboard but I seem to be to dumb to comtrol it. It is on CPUFAN.

I have 3 other casefans. All of then 3-pin. Noctua is at SysFan4. and the other two fractals are at SysFan1 & SysFan4.

SysFan1 is already correctly monitored but its name is displayed as Fan3 an again I seem to dumb to control it.

need sopme help

before you ask... Yes I have googled speedfan toturial..... and it was a mess.

Here is a screenshot of my "fans-tab" of speedfan. You will see that 2 fans are missing in there but those two are running (I think at max speed atm). the two you see are the CPUFan and Fan2 as mentioned before.

post-196058-0-94176800-1439904964.png

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

I have my cpu 4-pin-fan connected to my motherboard but I seem to be to dumb to comtrol it. It is on CPUFAN.

I have 3 other casefans. All of then 3-pin. Noctua is at SysFan4. and the other two fractals are at SysFan1 & SysFan4.

SysFan1 is already correctly monitored but its name is displayed as Fan3 an again I seem to dumb to control it.

need sopme help

before you ask... Yes I have googled speedfan toturial..... and it was a mess.

Here is a screenshot of my "fans-tab" of speedfan. You will see that 2 fans are missing in there but those two are running (I think at max speed atm). the two you see are the CPUFan and Fan2 as mentioned before.

did you do this is configuration?

post-196315-0-45699400-1439913107.pngpost-196315-0-99554700-1439913093_thumb.

also I dont know if you mean that you are also having trouble renaming the fans but you just slowly double click on the fan name to rename it.  same with the "speeds" "Geschwindigkeiten" tab

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

post-196315-0-65974600-1439913433.png

I'll just goahead an leave this here, sorry it is also a mess

post-196315-0-65974600-1439913433.png

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

did you do this is configuration?

-pic(s)-

also I dont know if you mean that you are also having trouble renaming the fans but you just slowly double click on the fan name to rename it.  same with the "speeds" "Geschwindigkeiten" tab

I guess I did. It seems there are not even enough headers recocnized. I think I have 3PWM headers but I also have more non PWM/3-pin headers. I counted once and I think I got to 6 fan headers total.

post-196058-0-56009300-1439916755.png

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

-pic-

I'll just goahead an leave this here, sorry it is also a mess

I also configured that. I am just not sure if I did it right since well this is so confusing to me.

post-196058-0-64922100-1439916929.png

post-196058-0-90645400-1439916936.png

post-196058-0-64922100-1439916929.png

post-196058-0-90645400-1439916936.png

3.Use

I guess I did. It seems there are not even enough headers recocnized. I think I have 3PWM headers but I also have more non PWM/3-pin headers. I counted once and I think I got to 6 fan headers total.

you on MSI GD-65?

you on MSI GD-65?

yes

3.Use

you on MSI GD-65?

what is the difference betwen SUM of speeds and MAX of speeds?

3.Use

do you have a "MAX6650" option to select in the chip section of the advanced tab? (instead of F71889A)

do you have a "MAX6650" option to select in the chip section of the advanced tab? (instead of F71889A)

Yes. pic is coming in edit(wait a sec)

post-196058-0-43864200-1439917093.png

post-196058-0-43864200-1439917093.png

3.Use

I doesn't seem helpful though :7 what do I need it for?

3.Use

what is the difference betwen SUM of speeds and MAX of speeds?

the SUM of speeds will add up all the values from the different sensors for allocated to that fan.  so if you have all 4 core temps operating a fan and it is set to SUM of speeds.  it will add all of the speeds together and run the fan at the total of all the %.   MAX will simply choose the temperature that is calling for the highest % for that fan.  so if core 2 is hottest that will be the temp that controls the fan until a different temperature is hottest.

I doesn't seem helpful though :7 what do I need it for?

what options do you get for "operating mode" instead of "Software full-on"

https://forum-de.msi.com/index.php?topic=94688.0

this might be of help. the translation to english from german gets really messy so you can probably make better sense of it

the SUM of speeds will add up all the values from the different sensors for allocated to that fan.  so if you have all 4 core temps operating a fan and it is set to SUM of speeds.  it will add all of the speeds together and run the fan at the total of all the %.   MAX will simply choose the temperature that is calling for the highest % for that fan.  so if core 2 is hottest that will be the temp that controls the fan until a different temperature is hottest.

Thx sound pretty logical but sadly not obvious enough for me :-(

3.Use

what options do you get for "operating mode" instead of "Software full-on"

Here you are (wait for edit)

post-196058-0-30327400-1439917736.png

3.Use

"The Green Power menu is the hardware monitor of the software package. This allows you to monitor RPG ranges, temperatures, and set performance profiles for those fans. The fan control is much more comprehensive than it has been but still trails ASUS in terms of monitored and controllable headers. You can only control three headers here which is somewhat disappointing given that the box art mentions "Total fan control." I take total to mean "all fans" but maybe that’s just me. In any case this is better than what Gigabyte’s offering through its extremely dated Easy Tune 6 software. So while MSI does have room for improvement it is certainly not at the bottom rung of the ladder when it comes to fan control. The LED menu allows for control over the phase indicator LED’s on the motherboard. These can be disabled or set to show the current phase loading of the board. You can if you wish to do so and given that these could be very bright in a dark room the toggle is welcomed."

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/05/14/msi_z77agd65_gaming_lga_1155_motherboard_review/2#.VdNmf_lVgZI

looks like only a few headers are even controllable but that still does not explain why we cant control the cpu header.  have you tried using bios control?

https://forum-de.msi.com/index.php?topic=94688.0

this might be of help. the translation to english from german gets really messy so you can probably make better sense of it

K thx I am reading atm but it seems to be something between not helpful and it is not possible in my case which sounds impossible since I actually HAVE discrete 3-pin headers :/ !??

3.Use

"The Green Power menu is the hardware monitor of the software package. This allows you to monitor RPG ranges, temperatures, and set performance profiles for those fans. The fan control is much more comprehensive than it has been but still trails ASUS in terms of monitored and controllable headers. You can only control three headers here which is somewhat disappointing given that the box art mentions "Total fan control." I take total to mean "all fans" but maybe that’s just me. In any case this is better than what Gigabyte’s offering through its extremely dated Easy Tune 6 software. So while MSI does have room for improvement it is certainly not at the bottom rung of the ladder when it comes to fan control. The LED menu allows for control over the phase indicator LED’s on the motherboard. These can be disabled or set to show the current phase loading of the board. You can if you wish to do so and given that these could be very bright in a dark room the toggle is welcomed."

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/05/14/msi_z77agd65_gaming_lga_1155_motherboard_review/2#.VdNmf_lVgZI

looks like only a few headers are even controllable but that still does not explain why we cant control the cpu header.  have you tried using bios control?

What do you mean with this post?

3.Use

i also can't get into my BIOS. last time i smacked delete F8 and F10 on startup both of my screens just kept black until I did a hard shut down and restarted.

EDIT:

Right now I am using this

post-196058-0-55869600-1439918252_thumb.

3.Use

What do you mean with this post?

seems like MSI kinda sucks as far as fan control goes, and I think the reason that not all your fans are showing up is that a few of them are not even controllable. but I still dont get why the cpu header wont control.  what is the full model number of the mobo?

i also can't get into my BIOS. last time i smacked delete F8 and F10 on startup both of my screens just kept black until I did a hard shut down and restarted.

oh my. try delete and/or f2.  I think bios control might be easiest but we should still be able to speedfan those few controllable headers if you want

Cpu header is kind of controllabel. In manual it works when I type in percentage values but I seem to be unable to get the set graph in the Fan control menue to work. I keeps sitting at one speed as far a I have noticed.

does this mean some headers are not designed to be controlled as in always full speed?

3.Use

oh my. try delete and/or f2.  I think bios control might be easiest but we should still be able to speedfan those few controllable headers if you want

OK I will try again but las time both screeens just wnet black. brb 5 minutes or less.

3.Use

Cpu header is kind of controllabel. In manual it works when I type in percentage values but I seem to be unable to get the set graph in the Fan control menue to work. I keeps sitting at one speed as far a I have noticed.

does this mean some headers are not designed to be controlled as in always full speed?

ah we can work with that on the cpu fan.  give me a few minutes and ill see if i can figure someting out

Yeah i'd have to look at the exact mobo manual too see which headers are controllable and which arent

post-196315-0-11070400-1439918908.png

did you set a minimum fan speed?

post-196315-0-40149100-1439919103_thumb.

and I assume you have "automatic fan speed" checked on the front main screen of speedfan (edit: ignore the red boxes)

post-196315-0-11070400-1439918908.png

post-196315-0-40149100-1439919103_thumb.