Home-made wooden case.

Jambls
  • 1 month later...

Update:

My exams are over so now things might be happening for a bit until I need to put components into the thing since I have none.

I went to my friends house to use his laser cutter. I have cool friends. I forgot to take pictures of the lasers doing stuff but I wasn't cutting the grille today, just testing as I have never cut wood on a laser cutter before.

7ujk1QJ.jpg Look! A laser cutter.

sL8b6OQ.jpg

This is the test piece. It is hard to see but the hole at the bottom in the middle was the first successful cut that went all the way through. Those holes are ovals because the program doesn't like making perfect circles but the real grille will be a perfect(hopefully) grid of circles.

AcIf3hQ.jpg

My friends dog. My dog wasn't there and I had to improvise to please you pet loving people.

22 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

0/10, no pic of your grass

It's kinda winter and raining.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I was productive today. I stared cutting the real panels. I have a few pics from when I was marking out where to put the panels to get the ply in the right position from a few weeks ago but I didn't think that there was enough there for a full update to I left then until now. Today I got 25 passes done on half of one of the panels. The laser cutter is ~2cm to small to do the whole piece at once so I cut the design in half and I will cut it in halfs. Enough text! Onto the pretty pictures!

9L5r4LW.jpg

Cutting the teat piece.

wqcp9et.jpg

The result of testing. Most of them were getting the circle to be circles because the cutter was set up to do jars on rollers, not the flatbed.

WuG3GDG.jpg

Peek a boo! The cutter was creating a lot of smoke at the beginning so I had to keep the lid closed as much as possible.

O5KyPp2.jpg

The first pass done.

AhfOFKP.jpg

This was around pass 20. It hasn't changed much from that in the 5 passes I did before I had to go home.

PeTZ2ZH.jpg

The panel just fits under the lip and I can still cut the other side.

rAc9O8o.jpg

This is the back of it after 25 passes at the slowest I feel safe going without setting it on fire.

zR8Z4mU.jpg?1

The warning label is badly translated since it is a Chinese cutter that was imported.

That's all for now but I plan to go back tomorrow but thing rarely go to plan in this case.

That looks like a bloody thick piece of wood to be put under a laser cutter. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

CUTE DOGE

btw where did your beautiful grass go?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

6 minutes ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

That looks like a bloody thick piece of wood to be put under a laser cutter. 

It's 9mm and I need it for strength. It it taking forever to cut.

6 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

CUTE DOGE

btw where did your beautiful grass go?

That picture is the upstairs lawn that isn't as well cared for as the downstairs lawn or the front lawn.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I have some good news, some bad news and a change in the plan.

The good news is that we are all the way through the first half of the first panel.

uV14A8B.jpg

The bad news is that the bottom side of the panel is partly destroyed and you can see it from the other side.

SY2MwZP.jpg

This is due to a mistake on my part. I made the holes have a diameter of 6mm and spaced them 1 hole every 10mm. This spacing would be fine if the holes were 5mm and 6mm would be fine if I had spaced it one hole every 11 or 12mm but there wasn't enough material left to hold together.

The change in the plan: I am going to buy some 3mm ply for these panels as the 9mm it taking far too long to cut through. This will require me to brace the motherboard tray more but if I make a piece to hold the fans and make that strong enough, I can brace the motherboard tray with it. It should also decrease turbulence, making the fans quieter.

I am also going to build a testbench style thing to trial what I am going to do to hold up the expansion cards and other I/O things. And so I have somewhere to put my final motherboard while I am finishing the case since I really need the upgrade. There won't be a separate build log and I don't plan on posting much about it. It's going to be a good use for the materials that I have lying around from the case and it will sorta match.

That's it from me today, folks, hit that like button and subscribe and buy my merch and comment and subscribe. Or something.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jambls said:

@Loleo The testbench is going to be one mega-update and not enough has happened for the case since the last update because I have been busy with exams (Scotland) for there to be enough to bother you people with.

we wouldn't mind pics of the dog tho...

Wait, isn't heat going to burn the wood and burn your dog alive? I'm prolly just being stupid, but I swear cooling's going to be a issue with a wooden case.

"After all that I've done.... You still want to give me mercy?"

"Don't sweat it, *Insert Character name here.* I'm sure that everyone's tried to kill the kid at least once."

6 hours ago, Rofl47 said:

Wait, isn't heat going to burn the wood and burn your dog alive? I'm prolly just being stupid, but I swear cooling's going to be a issue with a wooden case.

Not really. he's going to have 9 120mm fans in the front and the same in the top so there will be plenty of airflow. Wood doesn't even start to get damaged by the kind of heat a PC will put out. you need hundreds of degrees not under a hundred (celsius). It should cool around about the same as a metal case with the same airflow.

11 hours ago, bear-in-the-air said:

Not really. he's going to have 9 120mm fans in the front and the same in the top so there will be plenty of airflow. Wood doesn't even start to get damaged by the kind of heat a PC will put out. you need hundreds of degrees not under a hundred (celsius). It should cool around about the same as a metal case with the same airflow.

Alright. Just concerned for the sake of the PC, the house, the kind fellow making this case, and the dog. Most importantly the dog.

"After all that I've done.... You still want to give me mercy?"

"Don't sweat it, *Insert Character name here.* I'm sure that everyone's tried to kill the kid at least once."

11 hours ago, Rofl47 said:

Alright. Just concerned for the sake of the PC, the house, the kind fellow making this case, and the dog. Most importantly the dog.

the doge and the grass are priorities!

12 hours ago, Rofl47 said:

I would have more to worry about than you, I live in the same house. He's doing it better than I did my cardboard testbench however.

1 hour ago, IMPERIUS said:

the doge and the grass are priorities!

You will be pleased to hear the the grass is recovering after the winter and the dog is still spreading her hairs everywhere.

Testbench update:

Using scraps of ply and spruce, I built a testbench as a mock up for the I/O area of the main case, so I could see if my plan would work, which it mostly does. I started this testbench before Luke did his video, in which he called my twin brothers cardboard box "lame."

I started by getting many pieces of paper and, using a really helpful image that I found on the internet that showed all the distances between everything relating to the I/O panel and pci slots to plan the size everything. A good build started with a good plan. Or something. I decided to make the motherboard tray slightly larger than an ATX motherboard, to leave room for mistakes.

It was my birthday on the 7th so I got my new motherboard a few days in advance, so that I could try and finish the testbench as soon as possible, but i ended finishing it a week later then being lazy about this update so it's ever later.

ZkPV72V.jpg

This is the first of many rear I/O panels that I will try and cut. to the right is one of the trays that will make up be base and mottherboard tray. The holes are there to allow me to go round corners.

YJumq8j.jpg

And I broke it. And the other one that I tried to do(it's broken on the bottom of the hole for the psu). On the right is more squares for the big case.

At this point it was my birthday.

hSBHAuA.jpg

I had some friends 'round and we had pizza and cake.

I got an Asus Sabertooth X58, an i7-920 and crap cooler for the price of just the motherboard, which was good, and I got 3x4GB of ram to run in triple channel. I also bought a HX650 to run all this.

8NPsRAY.jpg

The initial test for fit. It's hanging on the audio ports. You can see the break at the bottom.

KQAAOBE.jpg

Lets make another one...

bl9T0YO.jpg

Coping saws are for coping with curves. This is the one that I didn't break.

FNU6zCZ.jpg

I had to notch this piece to make room for the bolt

3W3e4Lk.jpg

This is the bracket attached.

zq8GbTF.jpg

I cut this groove for the bottom of the expansion cars brackets to go into. Using a sharp knife. Wood is really easy to work with.

AmYyYUM.jpg

And assembled in it's current form. I think it looks cool.

OMI3va7.jpg

The bracket with the bolts trimmed. I am actually really pleased with this shot. I took it with my Onepus 2.

jLng7NY.jpgAnd a small screw that I found in my Dad's box of many small screws.

htCjJj8.jpg

I think it's quite a Dad thing to have this.

yAWAeT4.jpgThe finished back with my things in it.

qDVdiLx.jpgThe front(?).

TAcg9jQ.jpg

And the side. I also have 2 500gb WD caviar blues in RAID0 with the closest expansion card, a HD 5670, and a pci Wifi card on top, with a laptop drive for backups and an SSD that is finally off of SATA I and onto SATA III with the Marvell controller built into the motherboard.

I even managed a small overclock, going from 2.66 to 2.8GHz with a large undervolt to improve thermals at 0.9625v

That's all for today, folks, and have a good [insert time of day where you are here].