Cheap budget camera with professional level features

I didnt realize this was fake until you mentioned your allowance. This is what happens when you decide sleep isnt important.

Though I was trolling here with this thread, parts of it are not really false.  When you work in a professional field, you need to look for the best and most suitable tools to get the job done.  That doesn't mean buying the most expensive gear, and it certainly doesn't mean trying to look for free or cheap/bargain stuff that is unable to meet your requirements or expectations.

My two main photo cameras are a Nikon D4 and a Nikon D800E, along with several expensive lenses.  I have a Fuji X-E2 which I use for casual stuff, and a Canon G16 for underwater work.  I also own an underwater housing for the D800E, but I prefer the G16 because the kit is smaller when I go scuba diving.

Can I take the same photos if I had a cheaper camera instead, like a D3300?  YES

But will a D3300 survive the hardships I may inflict upon it, though I will always do my best to take good care of my gear accidents still happen, due to the nature of my work? Most likely NOT.

Below is an image of a Nikon D3, and though I haven't had a chance to dip my D4 in mud like this tog has done for his gear, mine have survived falls, rough terrain, tumbles as the camera case carrying them has accidentally been rolled down a small cliff, rain, snow, etc. and they still work.  Sure I could probably do my job with a D3300, but I may have to be buying it over several times if it has to go through the same torture the D4 and D800E has.

When people ask me for advice on camera gear, my first questions are "What are you going to do with it?  How do you plan to use it?  What are your requirements?"  I don't ask about budget, not until they first know what they want.

nikon-d3-mud.png

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/04/06/yes-this-nikon-d3-is-still-working.aspx/

A couple of years ago, I went on a holiday to see some places/events I haven't been to yet.  One of them was a annual festival called Chienbase in a small town named Liestal. I was there for fun, not work, but I knew what I wanted to do and what to expect. So I took my D4 and D800E instead of my smaller and lighter Fuji.  By the time the event was over my coat was full of holes from the sparks and embers that had fallen from the fires, my entire body smelled of smoke and my cameras were covered in a layer of ash and soot.

By the time this festival was over and people were heading home, I overheard fellow holiday travelers complaining about how there phones or cameras were damaged because they also wanted to photograph this event.  If you look closely in the second photo below, there is one person holding up a camera with one of those "selfie" sticks.  I saw him looking at a charred camera after the festival had ended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chienb%C3%A4se

You can visit my Flickr photostream to see some of my hobbyist work

8514353034_c69cf0f23c.jpgLiestal Chienbäse 2013 by Aung Lwin, on Flickr

I was in the front row, because that's where the action is and that's where you need to be to get the best shots

8513109725_099e859c1f.jpgLiestal Chienbäse 2013 by Aung Lwin, on Flickr

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Man he got you two good, to bad you wasted so much time.

Very clever prank, I'm surprised more people didn't catch on sooner.

I wasn't trying to waste their time on purpose.  More like I was trying to make a small point, and not to them but to certain others.

Professional Quality and Cheap are two concepts that you very rarely find.

When I see people asking for advice about "gear" and they say their budget is very small "$$" I kinda already have an idea of how they want to use it and what they are expecting to get.  Some will get it after you explain it to them that in order to meet their EXPECTATIONS they may need to increase their budget or make compromises.  Others will keep coming back with alternatives they found on their own, from some shady Chinese seller on E-Bay and you have a hard time telling them they are most likely throwing away their money.

My hope is that people will come read my posts, find a bit of humor, and realize a bit of how professionals choose their gear.  Or realize how to choose the best gear that suits their requirements, with ou without the advice of members like ShadowCaptain who certainly knows his stuff.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

It was good enough for Philip Bloom

barbie_1777939b.jpg

Unfortunately they are too expensive for me to afford :P, man this would make it easier for me to pick up women, a professional using a barbie doll camera.

I'm looking to purchase a CHEAP, BUDGET FRIENDLY video camera that can do at least great 1080p and perhaps with good capability for 4K.  I'm mainly going to be doing videos for an amateur Youtube Channel, something I have never done before.

I think you are way over doing it. For youtube so can you get away with a $300 camera, as long as you got good sound.

So I would recommend you get something like Panasonic gh4, if you want to on spending money on a good camera and then get a good mic setup.

After all, do you need more quality then this for youtube?

I think you are way over doing it. For youtube so can you get away with a $300 camera, as long as you got good sound.

So I would recommend you get something like Panasonic gh4, if you want to on spending money on a good camera and then get a good mic setup.

After all, do you need more quality then this for youtube?

Read the tags for this thread :D

I already know this Chiobe. But if I do buy a "Video first" camera it will certainly not be a photography camera with video features.  It will be a video camera that meets my requirements.

I already know this Chiobe. But if I do buy a "Video first" camera it will certainly not be a photography camera with video features.  It will be a video camera that meets my requirements.

Thing is most people can only afford one camera, and many people want a camera they can also use as a camera as well as for video

I still think a budget DSLR beats a camcorder, since what most people on here want to do is a channel a bit like Linus, where they are not exactly running and gunning or changing camera settings on the fly, more setting the camera up for static shots / sliding shots with fixed settings 

If somebody wants a walk around camera, then a camcorder is a much better option

The thing is most budget camcorders are basically the same internal as cheap point and shoots, just with different software and menus, they use the same sensors and downsampling, they just have a record button instead of a shutter button

I agree, many people are basically asking for a Red Dragon but want to pay like $300, which is not possible but I still think a budget DSLR is the best option and can do reasonably well for what most people do, accessories are easier to get too due to how common the cameras are, and with some future investment in glass, lighting etc 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It depends on what you are willing to pay, as you can find some good camera bodys in the 2000-3000 dollar range, but the accessories will normally run you up more then if you go for something like a DSLR.

It depends on what you are willing to pay, as you can find some good camera bodys in the 2000-3000 dollar range, but the accessories will normally run you up more then if you go for something like a DSLR.

If its a camera that meets my requirements I will pay for it.  The main thing is to have the right tool for the job.  And contrary to you, I believe buying video accessories for a DSLR will be more expensive than getting accessories for a video camera where it is already predesigned for taking videos.

I wont need to buy rail mounts, attachments, etc.

If I shoot video with my Nikons, I need to buy a rail mount to get the follow focus attached as most DSLR videos don't auto focus or zoom with the press of a button.  I will need to buy mounts to attach the various types of audio equipment. etc. And to get a better quality video than what the DSLR records natively I will need to connect external recorders.

With a video camera, most prosumer level ones already have good recording formats, hotshoes for attaching a light or microphone, various audio inputs, buttons for zoom and focus.

Of course this all depends on the type of work you do.  And unless I want a cinematic look of shallow DOF, I don't need the same sensor size as a DSLR.  You rarely see documentary videographers going into the field with DSLR's for video.

So yeah if you're going to be shooting in a fixed location, a DSLR setup is fine.  But for people who have to travel with their gear, I rather not waste anytime putting the kit together on location, I prefer to be able to take the camera out of my bag and start shooting.

If its a camera that meets my requirements I will pay for it.  The main thing is to have the right tool for the job.  And contrary to you, I believe buying video accessories for a DSLR will be more expensive than getting accessories for a video camera where it is already predesigned for taking videos.

I wont need to buy rail mounts, attachments, etc.

If I shoot video with my Nikons, I need to buy a rail mount to get the follow focus attached as most DSLR videos don't auto focus or zoom with the press of a button.  I will need to buy mounts to attach the various types of audio equipment. etc. And to get a better quality video than what the DSLR records natively I will need to connect external recorders.

With a video camera, most prosumer level ones already have good recording formats, hotshoes for attaching a light or microphone, various audio inputs, buttons for zoom and focus.

Of course this all depends on the type of work you do.  And unless I want a cinematic look of shallow DOF, I don't need the same sensor size as a DSLR.  You rarely see documentary videographers going into the field with DSLR's for video.

So yeah if you're going to be shooting in a fixed location, a DSLR setup is fine.  But for people who have to travel with their gear, I rather not waste anytime putting the kit together on location, I prefer to be able to take the camera out of my bag and start shooting.

DSLR can be as simple and as complicated as video cameras.

Dont think I will go deeper into it, as you seems to have made up your minds about DSLR's.

DSLR can be as simple and as complicated as video cameras.

Dont think I will go deeper into it, as you seems to have made up your minds about DSLR's.

Yes there's a reason why I have made up my mind.

I was using DSLR's for videos since the Nikon D90 came out, which was the first DSLR that had the video recording feature. If you go back and read some of my comments in this thread, you will get an idea of what my requirements are.  And I didn't start this thread because I wanted actual advice on what camera to buy.

I know the pros and cons of a DSLR for video, and while it may be suitable for some people, it certainly doesn't suit my needs.  And I currently own 4 photo cameras that all are capable of recording video:

Nikon D4

Nikon D800E

Fuji X-E2

Canon G16

Yes there's a reason why I have made up my mind.

I was using DSLR's for videos since the Nikon D90 came out, which was the first DSLR that had the video recording feature. If you go back and read some of my comments in this thread, you will get an idea of what my requirements are.  And I didn't start this thread because I wanted actual advice on what camera to buy.

I know the pros and cons of a DSLR for video, and while it may be suitable for some people, it certainly doesn't suit my needs.  And I currently own 4 photo cameras that all are capable of recording video:

Nikon D4

Nikon D800E

Fuji X-E2

Canon G16

I ended up with a Panasonic G7, as I needed a cheap camera with good video quality, that could get decent audio.

I have worked with semi pro video cameras for a long time, so its a bit different, but it gets the job done and its more then good enough for youtube.

I ended up with a Panasonic G7, as I needed a cheap camera with good video quality, that could get decent audio.

I have worked with semi pro video cameras for a long time, so its a bit different, but it gets the job done and its more then good enough for youtube.

I am NOT doing anything for or with Youtube.

I am looking for a video camera for my freelance work, so that I can have the freedom to use my own gear whenever I want without having to rent or borrow gear.

99% of the people here who ask for advice for video cameras may want to use it to create their own Youtube channels, I the 1%.  If I go on assignments to take photos and videos, I do it to get published or to record for UN agencies' projects and reports.  Not to goof off.

You should consider getting the new URSA Mini 4.6K.  It's not out yet, but if you can wait, it's a hell of a camera for $5K.  Of course, this is based on the specs, but the people who have actually played around with it (but couldn't release images) claim the images are superb.

You should consider getting the new URSA Mini 4.6K.  It's not out yet, but if you can wait, it's a hell of a camera for $5K.  Of course, this is based on the specs, but the people who have actually played around with it (but couldn't release images) claim the images are superb.

please go troll somewhere else, 5k aint budget

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I have considered it.  It records in some very nice codecs with high bitrate, however I am not sure it supports 120fps.  And it's available only in EF and PL mounts, I would need to get a good adapter to mount my Nikon F-mount lenses.

I'm gonna wait till the end of the year to see what comes out.  Sony discontinued the FS100, so hopefully there will be a replacement.

He isn't trolling, he is actually telling me about a camera I hadn't considered before.

The dude posts that he's considering an $8,000 camera and $5,000 isn't budget?

He isn't trolling, he is actually telling me about a camera I hadn't considered before.

The dude posts that he's considering an $8,000 camera and $5,000 isn't budget?

well, besides that, I just noticed this is the topic due to the tags, i'm honestly amazed it aint closed yet.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Hmm interesting video

well, besides that, I just noticed this is the topic due to the tags, i'm honestly amazed it aint closed yet.

Oh I didn't even notice the dude was being sarcastic lol. I was a bit surprised when he said cheap and budget friendly and linked to that camera. I was like, "maybe he just has a big budget."