[JayzTwoCents] R9 390 vs GTX970 - Claims 300 series is NOT a rebrand - R9 390 new mid tier king?

TrigrH

Thats why I said it "Would be doing worse than" not "Is doing worse" :P and nice double post 

Yeah-another glitch

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

290 is still the way to go until they can't be found anymore if you're looking for great mid range bang for buck 1080p or 1440p gaming.  You just couldn't beat it for $250 USD.

I got my 290x little over a week ago for $220~$240 (can't remember what the dollar was worth then)

And that's with an aftermarket cooler (Powercolor PCS+)

Second hand market is best market.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Second hand market is best market.

Got mine for 300CAD in mid June. Never buying brand new system components ever again, especially in Canada. (well, except storage stuffs like SSDs and such)

Why is this even a question? It's pretty clear the 390 and 390x are refreshes. A rebrand = AMD didn't do jack shit to the card itself and just stamped a new name, but as Jay says, AMD has made changes to it and made it more efficient.

Anyway. Great video from Jay. Should change the opinions of those that think that he's super biased for Nvidia

Ok, right... it's a refresh. Big deal. It's still the same dang GPU. The worse off is the older chips which have not been around for YEARS..... Hawaii is not the huge letdown.

So maybe the 390 performs closer to the 290X now though.... but we are talking about 5-7 fps here.

There is only one. The r7 370 is the only chip that's being refreshed/rebranded again.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Man.... if he standardized it to all Twin Frozr 4 or 5 cards, he could also prove that GCN 1.1 Hawaii does or does not run as hot as Maxwell cards.

390 is going to be my next card, this seals the deal. I don't plan on going to 4K anytime soon but that 8GB of vRam makes crossfire look extra tasty if I want to get another 390 in the future.

I'm tempted to consider an R9 390 now. Depends on the pricing in Canada in comparison to a GTX 970 though.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

There is only one. The r7 370 is the only chip that's being refreshed/rebranded again.

There are a lot of cards getting not only a rebadge... but also a refresh.  This has already been discussed before though.

The 7850 for example still exists years later in the 300 series. I believe it's the 370. I could be wrong as I have not remembered the exact trickle down effect of all the 7000 to 200 to 300 lineup.

It's close enough to a fucking rebrand that it doesnt matter: even his charts show some test with a 390x loosing to a 290x.

And no it doesn't matter if it is or it isn't a rebrand, what matters if that AMD jacked up the price for no good fucking reason whatsoever other than they can. There is no significant, consistent performance gains over the 290x yet the price does gains like 100 fucking bucks so fuck the 390x. Price cut or gtfo

-------

Current Rig

-------

Genuine competition at this price point is good news for the consumer.

The competition is not genuine: The card is priced at an extra 100 bucks. It's just that Nvidia it's particularly bad in this price bracket that they left the door open to AMD to basically run a fucking scam with the pricing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's close enough to a fucking rebrand that it doesnt matter: even his charts show some test with a 390x loosing to a 290x.

And no it doesn't matter if it is or it isn't a rebrand, what matters if that AMD jacked up the price for no good fucking reason whatsoever other than they can. There is no significant, consistent performance gains over the 290x yet the price does gains like 100 fucking bucks so fuck the 390x. Price cut or gtfo

Really? Didn't the 8gb 290x and 390x cost the same?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

i agree with jay , its not a re-brand, its a refresh and seems to be a good one too 

the 390 is killing the 290x and 970 , and we have yet to see the numbers the 390x will throw down. so far its looking good for amd. 

How is it "killing" the 290x if it flatout looses to it on several tests and gets marginal, crap gains when it does win that can be attributed to AMD cheating and not giving the same drivers to the 290x?

-------

Current Rig

-------

I know I'm being irrational, but I just don't like the fact AMD is milking the market with 2 year old technology that they just added some sparkle dust to.

I realize this happens all the time in other industries but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Really? Didn't the 8gb 290x and 390x cost the same?

The 8gb 290x is slightly more but can still be had for 40 or 50 bucks under the 390x. Plus it doesn't really needs 8gb since it can't push it that well if not in SLI, the extra ram it's just there to get better speeds on the vram.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The 8gb 290x is slightly more but can still be had for 40 or 50 bucks under the 390x. Plus it doesn't really needs 8gb since it can't push it that well if not in SLI, the extra ram it's just there to get better speeds on the vram.

Then where did the 100 bucks come from?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Isn't that a 4gb 290x?

Yeah but it's actually more than 100 bucks. Here is the 8gb from sapphire, 100 less after MIR

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's a good thing this video is about the 390...

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Yeah but it's actually more than 100 bucks

And? The 8gb 290x also costs more... Like more than 100 bucks...