Is it worth buying a 7970 now?

notenoughtv

I'm currently running a 6870 and want to upgrade for a future watercooling project. I plan on buying a 1440p monitor, that's why I plan on getting this one instead of the 770. I can get this card for the equivalent of US$570 here, the this 770 is the same price (cheapest 770 with waterblock choice available)

Which one do you recommend?

Can the 770 handle 1440p gaming?

Should I wait for a new card from AMD?

Best bet is always to wait ;)

780 is better suited for 1440p gaming, or SLI 770.

AMD side of things, CrossFire 7970 gHz Edition cards will do well, but the newer cards to come out will be better suited for higher res

sysloc

I'm currently running a 6870 and want to upgrade for a future watercooling project. I plan on buying a 1440p monitor, that's why I plan on getting this one instead of the 770. I can get this card for the equivalent of US$570 here, the this 770 is the same price (cheapest 770 with waterblock choice available)

Which one do you recommend?

Can the 770 handle 1440p gaming?

Should I wait for a new card from AMD?

the 770 can handle 1440p right around the same as the 7970.. your not gonna be maxing everything out by any means but youll still get some very respectable settings, personally i would still get the 7970 because it has that extra vram just in case however with the new amd cards around the corner i would be waiting to see what they unveil to compete with the 770 at its current price point and what the 770's price point will get pushed down to

Get the cheapest 7950/7970 with dual/triples fans and overclock it. Add another for crossfire later on. 

This is the most cost/performance effective way to go imo.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

AMD side of things, CrossFire 7970 gHz Edition cards will do well, but the newer cards to come out will be better suited for higher res

780 is out of the question, it's almost 900 dollars here

Waiting is always the worst suggestion, If you wait for the AMD cards, then by the time they come out everybody tells you to wait for the new upcoming nvidia cards. It's a never ending cycle and you are really better off getting the best you can afford now unless there's a launch like a week away

The thing is that I'll probably watercool my system in 4-5 months, so maybe I wait until then to choose a card.

I would wait, and worse comes to worse you may see a price drop in the 7 series

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

it all comes down to if you cna wait........if you cna wait then get a 9000 series card......if you cant then go for the 7970.....simple...

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

dont get a blower style fan ,literally most annoying fan noise you will ever experience get a card with non reference cooler

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

dont get a blower style fan ,literally most annoying fan noise you will ever experience get a card with non reference cooler

Maybe he's going to watercool the card too. In that case you might need reference design so any waterblock will fit.

GTX 770 since it's basically a 680 on steroids. The 680 out performs the 7970 by a lot so... Get the 770

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Maybe he's going to watercool the card too. In that case you might need reference design so any waterblock will fit.

The cooler isn't and issue. I'll watercool it

HD 9000 series is going to be announced in september, wait a couple of months if you can.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

If you want it NOW and have the money for it I would say go for it, or a 7950 and OC it to almost 7970 speeds! But if you can wait and the old GPU will do fine until hopefully a new AMD GPU launch in October go ahead and wait... But keep in mind the months it still is, only you can make that decision if you can wait that long! 

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

I just realized something. I have a Micro ATX board. If I ever plan to go SLI or Crossfire, I can use a single slot bracket on a 7970 (with a waterblock) so I can still use my sound card.

Looks like I found my new card

This is the bracket

ek-vga-io-bracket-hd7970_01.jpg

I'd say a 7970 is still worth it , it's a fantastic card and will remain one of my favorites !

yeah, put two in a computer and just forget about them.......they run multiple high res screens fine with that 3gb vram and high bus width.......i would say wait for amd new line up if you could though.....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

7970 is still a very solid card and at high resolutions it does better than many newer cards thanks to the memory amount and memory bus. For high resolution you'd need a GTX 780 to really beat it and that's just not nearly in the same price range.

You can always wait... some people wait forever and never buy anything. I was thinking about waiting with my new build but I decided that I wanted to do some gaming now, not later, plus sell my old hardware while it was still possible to sell it.

I'm sitting on a 7970 Matrix Platinum now, went from GTX 580 SLI. I'm getting better performance in high resolutions (1600p monitor).

yeah i know what you mean.....i only built my rig a dew weeks back......i sold my old one for what i bought it for and made my current pc in my sig.......want to add another 7950 and a 256gb ssd then i feel its complete.....then next summer im planning on cooling it with a custom loop...

-Anubikai

I' am in about the same boat as you. Expect for the major fact that you are trying to water cool and I' am not lol. I dont know whether to wait or purchase a card now. Lots of people on here seem to suggest 7950/7970 as it is the best bang for your buck. I could make the easy choice, but I' am so indecisive.

"You can always wait... some people wait forever and never buy anything." Quoted by xDLGx........I dont want this to be me.

CPU: i5 4670K | CPUCooling: Corsair H100i | RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix @1600Mhz | MBO: intel DZ87KLT-75K | GPU: GTX780sc | HDD: WD 1TB Black | PSU: Corsair GS800 2013 Edition | Case: CM Storm Scout 2

How would a 256 bit memory be better at hi res then a 384 bit? 

GTX 770 since it's basically a 680 on steroids. The 680 out performs the 7970 by a lot so... Get the 770

7970 performs the SAME and a little bit better as the 680... So 770 and 7970 are roughly ( ROUGHLY) the same performance.

Thought 7970 better Overclocker :)

No, the 384 bit bus performs better at higher res. that's why the 7979,780 and Titan are

Good choices for the high res gamer , also the 7950

7970 performs the SAME and a little bit better as the 680... So 770 and 7970 are roughly ( ROUGHLY) the same performance.

Thought 7970 better Overclocker :)

680 out performs the 7970, but I'd get the 770 because  Nvidia features are better. Shadowplay, GPU Boost 2.0 etc

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You are wrong sir. Do some research before you make these posts.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk | GPU: MSI TF3 7970 BE | Motherboard: M5A99FX-Pro-Rev 2.0 | RAM: Corsair Vengence LP 8GB (2x4) | PSU: Xigmatek Vector G 750W 80+ GOLD | Case: Thermaltake A71 | Storage: Seagate 1TB + WD 650GB