Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nillas12

Experiences with non-techies

Not necessarily. Most houses in cities have at least a 50:1 contention. I haven't heard of more before, but I'm almost certain it happens. This situation on a copper co-ax cable could mean speeds of lower than 20Mb/s (for all connections at once at 50:1).

I'm glad to have decent internet, but I live in a well placed town in England (so I don't have to pay 4 billion dollars...)

I actually get better speeds than I pay for and customer service is great (shaw calgary) they reset the connection to the area to fix a problem

3668644013.png

I pay for 25 down and 2.5 up also they have the best prices in the area

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I remember a couple years back when my mother said liking Facebook pages could slow down your computer. And this year, in the year 2014, my mother bought a laptop worth "$1000" for "$100" and it had a Pentium 4 in it. Enough said.

specs in profile

My cousin thinks he knows everything about computers because he plays minecraft... then when he somehow managed to delete his wifi drivers and sound drivers he was amazed and thought I was a complete genious when all I did was download the drivers from my phone then moved them onto his laptop to install them...

Popcorn time is a streaming service that is torrent based. When using it, you aren't downloading anything.

With popcorn time it saves the movie as a local file, if you go into settings you can see it has a cache folder set up

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

My friend is a techie, he knows quite a lot, but he was unaware that AMD has been rebranding their GPU's from last generation.

Before he had 2x 7850's in Crossfire. He wanted to upgrade since it wasn't keeping up, so he ended up getting 2x R9 280's unaware that they are actually 7950's. A few days after he Skyped me and told me that his new GPU's had barely given him a better frame rate than what he had before. I facepalmed and told him about how AMD rebrands their graphics cards, etc.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

A few years ago I brought my pc to my grandmas house and wanted to get on the wifi but she didnt know the code so I went in and pressed the WPS button to let me in. A few days later I get a call from her saying I wrecked her wifi so I go over there and look for 2hrs for a problem because her connection was limited and finally i go to her cable box and... it wasnt powered on!

Whats crazy though is you wouldnt think she'd be non-tech because shes had an expensive mac ever since the 80's and she uses it all the time as shes a teacher so idk the world is weird sometimes

Not necessarily. Most houses in cities have at least a 50:1 contention. I haven't heard of more before, but I'm almost certain it happens. This situation on a copper co-ax cable could mean speeds of lower than 20Mb/s (for all connections at once at 50:1).

I'm glad to have decent internet, but I live in a well placed town in England (so I don't have to pay 4 billion dollars...)

I pay 50 bucks a month[for atleast 15mbps/1mbps] and i get 100kbps from centurlink goddamn those bastards to hell

i call centurylink   

Them:hi sir to potentially fix your problem we will have to charge you a $80 standard fee plus $100 is the problem is your wiring

Me: You wired it inside my house infact u wired it less than a foot from my wall

Them Im sorry but that does not matter 

Them If the wiring in your area is bad we cannot fix it because we do not have enough customers to justify resources.[they actually sais this]

So I said go to hell after an hour of this shit and hang up

My brother and my grandma both once clicked an ad that claied their drivers were out of date. Tried to remove as much as I can with different software then when I tried to update Java I found out it had embedded itself in the Java files so I had to remove those and clear a whole bunch of things.

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

I pay 50 bucks a month[for atleast 15mbps/1mbps] and i get 100kbps from centurlink goddamn those bastards to hell

i call centurylink   

Them:hi sir to potentially fix your problem we will have to charge you a $80 standard fee plus $100 is the problem is your wiring

Me: You wired it inside my house infact u wired it less than a foot from my wall

Them Im sorry but that does not matter 

Them If the wiring in your area is bad we cannot fix it because we do not have enough customers to justify resources.[they actually sais this]

So I said go to hell after an hour of this shit and hang up

We had huge problems with Century Link. The day out contract was up we went straight back to Comcast. It's worth the extra. 

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

My friend is a techie, he knows quite a lot, but he was unaware that AMD has been rebranding their GPU's from last generation.

Before he had 2x 7850's in Crossfire. He wanted to upgrade since it wasn't keeping up, so he ended up getting 2x R9 280's unaware that they are actually 7950's. A few days after he Skyped me and told me that his new GPU's had barely given him a better frame rate than what he had before. I facepalmed and told him about how AMD rebrands their graphics cards, etc.

I had the pleasure of trying to tell people about AMD's rebranding in the past as well. It's not a fun experience :( So much ignorance and worst of all they don't always want to believe you.

From reading this, I'm actually thankful that I have a techy family...

Spoiler

Main PC || CPU - Xeon E3 1231 V3 || Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate || CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || RAM - 1x8GB HyperX Fury Blue || Graphics card - MSI TwinFrozr V GTX 970 || Storage - 1x BX100 250GB, 1x 1TB WD Blue || PSU - EVGA G2 750W || Case - Corsair 200R

TV PC || CPU - Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz 1.2V || Motherboard - MSI H81M-P33 || CPU Cooler - Stock || RAM - 2x4GB random Samsung RAM || Graphics card - Intel HD Graphics (will be R9 390 in a few weeks) || Storage - 1x SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB, 1x Samsung 1.5TB HDD || PSU - Corsair CX600M || Case - None (soon to be Cooler Master Elite 430)

Me Too! :D

No you ain't.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Me Too! :D

No you ain't.

I smell a sibling hate war coming up. I'll grab the popcorn!

Red pill or Blue pill?
I don't feel like putting my system specs in here if you want them take a look at my profile page.

I smell a sibling hate war coming up. I'll grab the popcorn!

I'd rather take this to a PM.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My friend is going to buy an Alienware. Enough said.

No but really, he have a desktop, A10 6800, GTX 560, and that stuff, and he is planning to sell it to a friend extreamly cheap, give him a Razer Blackwidow and Razer Ouroboros, and buy the cheapest Alienware Aurora, i have tried to stop him, but he's not stoppable, so i'm just going to sit back and enjoy his face when he finds out that it was not worth the money, He asked me and my friends, everybody says no to the buy, and he's going to ask a tech forum, and i know everybody's going to say no, so that might change his mind, but to be honest, i actually hope he's going to buy it, just because he have never listened to any of my tech advices and it has gone wrong almost all the times.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Discussing on what gpu to get.

Budget: ~80-90 USD

Suggested him a 260x,he bought a used gtx550ti from e-bay for $75 with shipping.

*ultimate facepalm*

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Discussing on what gpu to get.

Budget: ~80-90 USD

Suggested him a 260x,he bought a used gtx550ti from e-bay for $75 with shipping.

*ultimate facepalm*

That's not too bad. As long as the card has no problems, I'd say it wasn't a bad purchase, but nor it was a good one.

Although 260x would've been more powerful card... Probably...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

That's not too bad. As long as the card has no problems, I'd say it wasn't a bad purchase, but nor it was a good one.

Although 260x would've been more powerful card... Probably...

I consider it very bad;

It is from e-bay.

It is used for years.

It has no warranty.

Slower than 260x.

99% of all non-techies think that AMD is soooooo bad that they should avoid it all all costs.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!