Are the people at HP high....?

Luke

I have seen worse with HP

I like how at 10:30 he mentions processor speed as being something crucial as to how it will perform.... 

What have you done? I have watched the whole thing now on episode 2....

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Again:

Now add keyboard, mouse, OS and monitor.  His system is US$250 which works out to about $300 Australian but does not include monitor, OS or peripherals. It appears even he can't beat that price especially if you consider the HP comes with a 12 month warranty and you don't have to build it, which is a big plus for people who are tech illiterate and don't care how they work.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/hp-110-305a-b-desktop-pc-and-20-monitor-bundle-hepf7g12aa

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Now add keyboard, mouse, OS and monitor. His system is US$250 which works out to about $300 Australian but does not include monitor, OS or peripherals. It appears even he can't beat that price especially if you consider the HP comes with a 12 month warranty and you don't have to build it, which is a big plus for people who are tech illiterate and don't care how they work.

]

I scrubbed through his 1 hour and 37 minute part 3 looking for the benchmark comparison he said he would do, and it's not there. (Side note, he rambles a lot. At one point in the time line that I stopped at, he started telling an unrelated story and compared himself to a grandpa.)

But he did make it a point to say that his parts are the same as the pre-built. His computer is no better.

He was also really proud of his "wiring." It doesn't look any better than the HP. He said he left it that way because it would be easier to service, the fit is tight behind the mother board tray, and the users at the company that buys it "will never open it." He's very hypocritical. I also heard him say he's in a static free zone because he lives in Arizona where it's dry. But then says that dry air is more prone to static. He's nuts.

post-122698-0-15051900-1427863680_thumb.

Now add keyboard, mouse, OS and monitor.  His system is US$250 which works out to about $300 Australian but does not include monitor, OS or peripherals. It appears even he can't beat that price especially if you consider the HP comes with a 12 month warranty and you don't have to build it, which is a big plus for people who are tech illiterate and don't care how they work.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/hp-110-305a-b-desktop-pc-and-20-monitor-bundle-hepf7g12aa

Australian consumers are entitled to a 12 month warranty, and you do realize that the HP 110-305A-B has a CPU used in laptops around that pricepoint?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I scrubbed through his 1 hour and 37 minute part 3 looking for the benchmark comparison he said he would do, and it's not there. (Side note, he rambles a lot. At one point in the time line that I stopped at, he started telling an unrelated story and compared himself to a grandpa.)

But he did make it a point to say that his parts are the same as the pre-built. His computer is no better.

He was also really proud of his "wiring." It doesn't look any better than the HP. He said he left it that way because it would be easier to service, the fit is tight behind the mother board tray, and the users at the company that buys it "will never open it." He's very hypocritical.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's not hard to see is it? he's just trying to justify his rather ordinary existence.  Most people on this forum could design a better pc than him that fills just about any need, however no one is going to be able to put a pc together with legit parts cheaper than HP, and to be honest not many here would try to claim they can. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Australian consumers are entitled to a 12 month warranty, and you do realize that the HP 110-305A-B has a CPU used in laptops around that pricepoint?

His argument is you can build a better pc cheaper,  he has not.  I went to the MSY website and chose the absolute cheapest of everything and still cracked $400.  I would trust a HP powerbrick over a $29 Shaw case/PSU combo.  

The challenge is simple, prove his claims right and build a pc cheaper. 

It's not hard to see is it? he's just trying to justify his rather ordinary existence. Most people on this forum could design a better pc than him that fills just about any need, however no one is going to be able to put a pc together with legit parts cheaper than HP, and to be honest not many here would try to claim they can.

And Office Depot here in the U.S. has the same computer in the video for $310 with free shipping. Sales tax won't be that bad. I'm in Texas and the sales tax here is on the high end at 8.25%. That computer is still really cheap and functional with a only a monitor needed.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/948647/HP-110-210-Desktop-Computer-With/

And Office Depot here in the U.S. has the same computer in the video for $310 with free shipping. Sales tax won't be that bad. I'm in Texas and the sales tax here is on the high end at 8.25%. That computer is still really cheap and functional with a only a monitor needed.

You could probably add a suitable monitor for $50 over there too.   Also @  if you check watss300 link you'll see it has a 12 month warranty also. 

I can build it with no os and a better cpu for $270.(CAD $) You get all the warranties on the parts.  We can conclude  that they get there parts a ton cheaper then we can so of course they can offer something so cheap. Its still terrible and no one should buy that crap lol

You could probably add a suitable monitor for $50 over there too.   Also @  if you check watss300 link you'll see it has a 12 month warranty also.

This is the cheapest one on new egg that some one would probably want to buy. Refurbished, but name brand and 20". $70.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009592

There are cheaper ones, but they're smaller and 4:3.

If you round up to $100 for a new one the brands get better with decent sizes.

I took a shot at it and came way under budget so I threw in a 1TB HDD.

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($46.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-M Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard  ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($26.65 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $305.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-01 01:14 EDT-0400

Let me toss in some benchmarks too.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+5350+APU+with+Radeon+R3

vs 

A4 5000

It's not hard to see is it? he's just trying to justify his rather ordinary existence.  Most people on this forum could design a better pc than him that fills just about any need, however no one is going to be able to put a pc together with legit parts cheaper than HP, and to be honest not many here would try to claim they can. 

He doesn't build a PC that is cheaper, but he builds one around the same price as the HP, however the parts he uses are probably of higher quality than the HP system, and all the computers that he builds arrive working and tested unlike the HP computer that didn't even boot into Windows until he plugged in the Sata cable.

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($46.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-M Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard  ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($26.65 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $305.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-01 01:14 EDT-0400

Yah I forgot to mention I'm in Canada. And prices are higher so you can fit an os. Nice.

His argument is you can build a better pc cheaper,  he has not.  I went to the MSY website and chose the absolute cheapest of everything and still cracked $400.  I would trust a HP powerbrick over a $29 Shaw case/PSU combo.  

The challenge is simple, prove his claims right and build a pc cheaper. 

I could price a better computer for well under $400 using pcpartspicker (inluding OS), but its not pre-assembled and OEMs get parts cheaper.

PMSL

I have seen worse with HP

Dude I am not kidding, I'm building a PC for a friend to replace this exact same hunk of shit. I am only able to salvage the HDD, the RAM stick and the Optical Drive.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

Assembly required and still no software support. Both of those are major selling points for the demographics that would buy a $310 computer.

Dude I am not kidding, I'm building a PC for a friend to replace this exact same hunk of shit. I am only able to salvage the HDD, the RAM stick and the Optical Drive.

What's the HDD's model? Because I'm curious as to how bad it is.

PMSL

What's the HDD's model? Because I'm curious as to how bad it is.

It actually has a Toshiba 500gb 7200rpm in it. Not certain of the model because my friend is still using it while the new components are being delivered. It has a Samsung DDR3/1600 CAS11 4gb stick. And I'm not sure of the Optical Drive specs.

I nearly died of laughter when he brought me this computer to see if we could upgrade it to play WoW better... I first saw the laptop PSU... No expansion slots... then I cracked it open and literally broke out in obnoxious laughter!

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

It actually has a Toshiba 500gb 7200rpm in it. Not certain of the model because my friend is still using it while the new components are being delivered.

Does it look like this? (and its got some interesting reviews as well):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149380

Edit: the most common failure time is around 5 months apparently.

PMSL

Does it look like this? (and its got some interesting reviews as well): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149380

Looks just like that lol. He's on a major budget so we have to make do with whatever we can for now.

I told him to order the Pentium G3258(Pentium-K), ASRock z97 Anniversary, EVGA Bronze 500w PSU, Corsair SPEC-03. I'm going to throw the HDD, the 4gb RAM, and the Optical drive from this clunker in the new rig.

Then, we'll be adding a R9-270x or a GTX-750ti. And a few case fans + a PWM fan hub. And sadly, a new OS because I can not transfer the OS from a pre-built PC... :(

Looks just like that lol. He's on a major budget so we have to make do with whatever we can for now.

He ordered the Pentium G3258(Pentium-K), ASRock z97 Anniversary, EVGA Bronze 500w PSU, Corsair SPEC-03. I'm going to throw the HDD, the 4gb RAM, and the Optical drive from this clunker in the new rig.

Then, we'll be adding a R9-270x or a GTX-750ti. And a few case fans + a PWM fan hub. And sadly, a new OS because I can not transfer the OS from a pre-built PC... :(

Well 5 months should be enough time to save up for a HDD that isn't a half assed POS. I've seen one person mention that its clearly badged as being made by Hitachi, which probably means its a reject with a Toshiba sticker.

PMSL

Well 5 months should be enough time to save up for a HDD that isn't a half assed POS. I've seen one person mention that its clearly badged as being made by Hitachi, which probably means its a reject with a Toshiba sticker.

Oh my, I'll make him aware of this and we'll grab a WD Blue 1TB for $50.

He doesn't build a PC that is cheaper, but he builds one around the same price as the HP, however the parts he uses are probably of higher quality than the HP system, and all the computers that he builds arrive working and tested unlike the HP computer that didn't even boot into Windows until he plugged in the Sata cable.

You keep coming back to the sata cable thing, but HP test all their PC in the factory before they leave,  getting a pc with the sata cable detached would be like buying a car with the fuel line not connected.  It just isn't going to pass quality control.

If you actually look at the statistics, companies like HP, dell, lenovo, etc have lower failure rates than white box manufacturers (which include people like carey, custom builders and small time computer shops).

It might be from 2012m but things are only getting better with regard to hardware failure rates and quality control. Also the biggest failure rate in pcs are motherboards and hdd's, which is something you are not going to avoid by building your own let alone avoiding prebuilts.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/131739-microsoft-analyzes-over-a-million-pc-failures-results-shatter-enthusiast-myths

You keep coming back to the sata cable thing, but HP test all their PC in the factory before they leave,  getting a pc with the sata cable detached would be like buying a car with the fuel line not connected.  It just isn't going to pass quality control.

If you actually look at the statistics, companies like HP, dell, lenovo, etc have lower failure rates than white box manufacturers (which include people like carey, custom builders and small time computer shops).

It might be from 2012m but things are only getting better with regard to hardware failure rates and quality control. Also the biggest failure rate in pcs are motherboards and hdd's, which is something you are not going to avoid by building your own let alone avoiding prebuilts.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/131739-microsoft-analyzes-over-a-million-pc-failures-results-shatter-enthusiast-myths

So you're telling me you think HP individually installs the OS onto every machine specifically? You know with a mass produced product you install an image from a single finished product across every new drive used to assemble more machines. They have mass hard drive cloners for a reason. The drive is done once it leaves the cloner. It is ready to boot. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0Y5-0001-000D8&cm_re=hard_drive_duplicator-_-0Y5-0001-000D8-_-Product