HP Pavilion Revamp: Plan B

QueenDemetria

These bad boys are RAM drives :)

0IiwA18.jpg

ghwolRW.jpg

So it emulates a ACHI device?  This is almost a waste of bandwidth.  I'd like to see this on a PCI-E interface.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

So it emulates a ACHI device?  This is almost a waste of bandwidth.  I'd like to see this on a PCI-E interface.

Basically. It has two modes: One that combines both memory banks to make a single drive, or treat each memory bank as its own drive(which you can RAID if you want a single volume and faster speed).  It maxes out its SATA 2 interface which sounds kinda lame, but back in 2009 when these were released there wasn't a single SSD that touched these speeds(300 write, 200+ read). It supports ECC memory, but if use regular non-ECC memory it has ECC emulation built in, which was much better than SSD RAID. Great device for the day(although costly), however now there needs to be an updated version.

Basically. It has two modes: One that combines both memory banks to make a single drive, or treat each memory bank as its own drive(which you can RAID if you want a single volume and faster speed).  It maxes out its SATA 2 interface which sounds kinda lame, but back in 2009 when these were released there wasn't a single SSD that touched these speeds(300 write, 200+ read). It supports ECC memory, but if use regular non-ECC memory it has ECC emulation built in, which was much better than SSD RAID. Great device for the day(although costly), however now there needs to be an updated version.

With NVME drives, there really doesn't need to be a updated version.  There just needs to be a more mature version of NVME.  If I was you, I'd quit upgrading this machine and save your money for a new machine that would crush this thing.  Although, I do enjoy the level of precision and customization.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

With NVME drives, there really doesn't need to be a updated version.  There just needs to be a more mature version of NVME.  If I was you, I'd quit upgrading this machine and save your money for a new machine that would crush this thing.  Although, I do enjoy the level of precision and customization.

True, flash has come a long way(if anything interface it the biggest problem now). I like upgrading this machine though, its come a long way from the Pegatron/HP mobo + Athlon, and if you look on page 16 at the bottom post, I am finally doing the case reconstruction(finally lol). My long term plans for this build(at least for now) is to hopefully have Zen in it(short term goal is to have the case/platform finished).

I like building PC's for the experience, I could honestly care less about performance at this point(as long as it works good enough, its enough for me). I'm going to be doing a follow up buildlog on "the shitbox" which has used leftover/used parts from this buildlog, and I'm doing a custom loop in it.

Want even aware I was tagged. I have too many notifications. Following.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Old computers are bae. BAE I TELL YOU.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Old computers are bae. BAE I TELL YOU.

YEESSSSSS

*looks at pc*

seems like a really cool concept and idea.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

• 2 months later...

Has there been any changes to this build since November?

Has there been any changes to this build since November?

Not really, the combination of life and weather has put this project on hold. Don't worry though, I haven't forgotten about Plan B, and I will be getting some wood-working tools soon to start rebuilding the case :)