So I almost had a heart attack

TopWargamer

I was typing away and drinking some water...when I accidentally spilled some water all over my $150 Ducky. Normally if something like this happened, I would just buy another one or use my warranty to swap it out, but 1) this wasn't a cheapo keyboard and 2) I have no warranty on it. So after keeping it upside down for 30 minutes...it's all good, but now the LED on my caps lock button borks out from time to time. 

Do you guys have any "heart attack moments" to share? 

COMIC SANS

I dropped a CPU once and bent 2 of the pins. I just re-positioned the pins and it worked fine! I was really scared though.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

My LG Dvd drive went up in flames once. I thought I killed my build. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I dropped my Atrix from the top bunk bed one time.  I was listening to music and it slipped of the bed.  Landed hard on the tile floor, right on the glass.  I was so scared to pick it up. :lol: Miraculously the screen was undamaged.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

My first ever bsod would scare bricks out of me, my hands would be shaking, I dunno why, i was just really scared of em :D

Golly, I sure hope that my internets are all in a safe place...

My network card fried on a very old build I had during a thunderstorm. Couldnt figure out why I wasn't getting internet for like 2 days :p Then I found out.... lol.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

I was moving my pc from time to time and once i fell while carrying it. When i went to check if it was working it didn't. I tried to figure out the problem and i found out that i didn't plug in the power supply. Complete blonde moment there XD

my brother spilled a glass of water on my brand new cooler master HAF 932 build. I had only finished my gaming PC build like a month before too. Thankfully those cases are big and I still had the grill plates behind the 3.5 inch drive bays that stopped most of it the rest ended up on the top of my disk drive. Very close call if those metal plates had not been there it would have been all over my brand new crossfire 5770's I had at the time and possibly my mobo. Now there is a no drink rule in my office haha

cooler master half 932, Phenom II X4 965 Black OC'ed 4.1GHz, MSI 890FXA-GD70, GSkill Ripjaws 1600 x 16GB, Cougar 1000Watt, XFX Double D 7970, Corsair H100i, 120GB hyperX SSD, 60GB OCZ Agility 4, WB Blue 500GB, LG blue ray disk drive, LG diskdrive, 3X 22 inch monitors 

While installing a fan for a friend, I decided to do some cable management for him.

I also took out one of the unused drive cages and repositioned his drives.

I happen put his hard drive on top of the case and forgetting it was there, tipped the case so I could reach for something.

The drive crashed to the floor and my heart stopped.

Luckily it still works fine!

public static void main(String[] args){

System.out.println("Hello, World!");

}

My LG Dvd drive went up in flames once. I thought I killed my build. 

Jesus, what was you doing with it lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

My first ever bsod would scare bricks out of me, my hands would be shaking, I dunno why, i was just really scared of em :D

Hahahhaha that would happen to me and my brother

Brother: WTF IS THIS?

Me: Oh it is just a BSOD

Brother: What is BSOD?

Me: Blue screen of death

Brother: Huh WTF?

Me: Just restart it

(my brother restarts the laptop and it is not working)

STARTED TO SHAKE LIKE A SNAKE

(restarted it 3-4 times)

Oh, it started to work XD

I got up of my bed and for some reason my laptop went flying. It landed on the floor about 4 feet away from my bed. I was freaking out because I only had it for like a month but I ended up only breaking the connector for my earbuds.

I kept on getting BSODS after I opened my case and blew out all the dust with an air compressor. 
Turns out my GPU drivers were causing the problem. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

While trying to use a flat-head screw driver to pop open the locking tab on the PCI-E slot, I scraped my Geforce 6800GT OC and broke off a surface mount chip. Luckily it still worked!!!

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

my hard drive fell off the table and i caught it just before it hit the tiled floor.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I was trying to remove a heatsink from an AMD Phenom II X4 CPU but the thermal paste was holding it together.

So I twisted and turned the heatsink to try and get it and and *pop* out comes the CPU with it. This is without the safety latch being pulled up meaning it should've been pretty securely in there.

This almost gave me a heart attack because this was my first computer and I didn't have the money, time, or energy to get a new one then.

Well, I decided "oh well", pried the CPU off the Heatsink and re-seated it after inspecting all the pins. Everything seemed fine.

After re-installing everything along with the new heatsink, the computer worked like a champ and has been to this day. 

My respect for the ruggedness of CPU's grew tenfold that day.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I once spilled absinthe on my Qpad Mk-50. The keyboard was fine, only my x c and v keys were a bit sticky for like three months.

botted my 689i board with the jumpers on the reset side

started to bsod all the time after that

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

My first build was in a CM HAF 912 which since my desk at the time was wood with glass on top(not my idea) my parents were upset that the weight of my build was going to crack the glass. So i had to stick it in the cabinet below my desk. Which worked fine but i was running a 6970 which generate alot of heat and i spent about 7 hours gaming on sc2 that night on ultra setting. The cabinet was open so no problem, but when i finished i left my computer running and my father came by after i left and closed the cabinet. The next morning i got up and played probably another 6 hours of sc2 not even noting the cabinet door was closed. Later that night i walk into the room where my desk was and all i could hear was this super loud humming. *SNAP i suddenly realize what is was! I ran over, opened the door and was greated with the biggest blast of hot air i have ever felt, I shunt her down so she could cool and the next morning i thought i was going to cry until she turned back on :D only some small artifacting from the gpu and i lived with that till about 6 months ago when i upgraded my gaming rig.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

Jesus, what was you doing with it lol

It had dust inbetween the sata power and it started smoking in my pc and i freaked out 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

When I had first buitl my computer I did not have the extar money to buy a new desk so I had my PC on a book shelf that stuck out farther then my desk...

13967.4deefe9300ee4877727332bdbd327d60.f
I heard some deep bass coming from outside my house and wanted to see who it was. So i jumped up hitting my book shelf super hard and it ended up falling over. It scarded me so much. I had it for less then a week I was shaking so much. I reset the PC and everything was fine. Since then I got a proper desk.

i5-3570k l ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA1155 I G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 I Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5' 7200RPM I Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB I Cooler Master Storm Enforcer I SeaSonic 620W I Windows 7

So I totally just had one of these moments today.  I was trying to plug back in a case fan while the PC was on.

The PC shut off.  I smelled electronics burning...  :blink:

Fortunately, I got really freaking lucky and the PC booted back up just fine.  The fan header's toast, but it's not a huge deal, I'll just use a 3-pin to molex on that fan.

So this is what it looks like when you short 12V to Ground:

IMG_20130630_1321361.jpg

Lesson learned: shut off the computer before removing/inserting anything internally.  Shorting exposed pins is bad.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Lesson learned: shut off the computer before removing/inserting anything internally.  Shorting exposed pins is bad.

Good :P

Not the wisest thing I've ever seen while the PC is running

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

accidentaly broke of a pin on an Athlon 64 3800+. Just put it back in the board and it ran perfectly fine :P - my good old socket '938' lol

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

accidentaly broke of a pin on an Athlon 64 3800+. Just put it back in the board and it ran perfectly fine :P - my good old socket '938' lol

Was it originally 939 lol