Microsoft now pays AdBlock Plus to not have its ads blocked

GoodBytes

I white list a bunch of sites with non intrusive ads and generally sites that I trust. But going off into the wild without a measure of ad control is horrible. Ever tried playing find the correct download button? Because my customers at work are not tech savvy at all, and they click everything they see. Granted that keep me in work but without ad block these people would just stop using computers all together since they'd need to pay me to sort their PC's out once a week. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Hello we block adverts

unless we get paid off.. and then.. well fuck you

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I just can't express how much I hate adblock. I mean to everyone using adblock, would you like to pay a subscription to access every site you visit, or do you think maintaining them is free?

And I just can't express how much I hate people who think it's their right to make money off random people viewing their ads.

I won't be viewing your ads. If you think you're entitled to some sort of compensation (pro-tip: you are not), find alternative, less scummier ways of finding funding.

I stopped using adblock over a year ago, no regerts.

i don't think its the viewers right to decide whether or not someone gets paid, after they have used the service

And it's also not the content creator's right to demand people view their ads so they can get some quick cash. Again, find alternative sources of money if you don't want people viewing your publically accessible content without taking your shitty ads down their throats.

And I just can't express how much I hate people who think it's their right to make money off random people viewing their ads.

I won't be viewing your ads. If you think you're entitled to some sort of compensation (pro-tip: you are not), find alternative, less scummier ways of finding funding.

It is their "right" to make money off adverts

and it is your "right" to block them so that you don't have to see them

Both angles are correct

Personally, well I don't block adverts, if they can make money off my views, then great

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I used to not mind YouTube ads, but then midrolls were introduced... I think I'd rather use the donate button than suffer though randomly placed midrolls...I wouldn't mind midrolls if the content creator could manually place midrolls where appropriate, so they don't break the flow of the video

The number of users that replied to this thread screwing Adblock... I'm surprised a lot of you guys mistake Adblock for Adblock Plus. They are two different extensions. Adblock Plus is the extension being talked about by OP.

Looks like there will soon be a new opening for an add blocker like program... 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

First: It costs nothing to have ads displayed on a page

Second: It does not take any or much (in the case of a short 5-second ad on youtube) of your time

Third: The other way to get funding is if you pay a membership for every website you visit.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I use uBlock, Ghostery, Disconnect, Blur (Formerly DoNotTrackMe), and HTTPS Everywhere.

Along with some custom scripts i wrote that lets me easily whitelist websites that i want to support.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Isn't this old news? Some companies paid adblock a year ago some money to do the same. 

I'm a bit lazy at this point, even if they now block 70% instead of 95% of the annoying ads, its still better than the alternative.

I still use ABP, if I regularly visit your website, you get on the whitelist. If you annoy me with piece of shit ads that sometimes cover the entire "non-used" area of a website than no ads for you.

Not to mention it's still kind of useful for that private browsing we all do...

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

I didn't say it did.

Second: It does not take any or much (in the case of a short 5-second ad on youtube) of your time

Couldn't care less. How about use up none of my time?

Third: The other way to get funding is if you pay a membership for every website you visit.

Too bad. No one cares. Not my responsibility to be feeding your site money. There's too much Big Brother tracking, and malware, and obnoxious shit around the net in terms of advertising that I will have no part of.

How about we go back to the days where people uploaded content for fun instead of maximum profit? If not, go get a real job instead of leeching off ad views - which, by the way, has been proven time and time again a drop in the bucket and is an incredibly unreliable way of funding. If you need to rely on ad views, probably just stop doing whatever you're doing and, again, get a real job.

I didn't say it did.

Couldn't care less. How about use up none of my time?

Too bad. No one cares. Not my responsibility to be feeding your site money. There's too much Big Brother tracking, and malware, and obnoxious shit around the net in terms of advertising that I will have no part of.

How about we go back to the days where people uploaded content for fun instead of maximum profit? If not, go get a real job instead of leeching off ad views - which, by the way, has been proven time and time again a drop in the bucket and is an incredibly unreliable way of funding. If you need to rely on ad views, probably just stop doing whatever you're doing and, again, get a real job.

Lol I am not making money off ads nor I have a website. I just know that those things are not free to maintain and if we want a better internet and good content to keep us entertained, then we'll have to put up with ads or pay a shitload of money to access it (I much prefer the former). I mean TV has been doing it for ages and nobody bats an eye... And tell Linus (and the rest of the crew ofc) his job is not a "real" job. This guy works hard to provide us enjoyable content in exchange for like 5 secs of our time watching an ad so he can get something in exchange. Nothing wrong with that.

Bandwidth does cost money, especially those of us stuck in the arse end of the world. My ISP already rolls for anal circumference with its tight data caps.

5 second ads and mid roll ads add up if you watch more than a small number of videos a day.

Advertising is a reasonable funding model iff they are not excessive or intrusive, eg simple text ads, but aiming to increase the number of ads to American TV levels is self defeating as it encourages greater adoption of adblockers.

Microsoft is another company joining Google, Taboola, and Amazon, to pay to not have AdBlock Plus lock their add with the default black list.

Wait, what? Who does this affect? I still don't see any ads whatsoever, when AB is turned on. 

not using ABP anymore since i use HOST block file,

and then i found uBlock, it's open source.

Wait, what? Who does this affect? I still don't see any ads whatsoever, when AB is turned on.

You only were what Adblock Plus classify as "acceptable" ads,unless you have turned that off manually.

So chances are you see ads, but since they aren't super annoying, play sound, flashes or anything like that, you don't notice them.

I think Adblock Plus (there are several different Adblock add-ons and I think only AdBlock Plus allows certain ads) allows the yellow colored, sponsored link at the top of Google results for example. That's an ad I am more than happy to see.

not using ABP anymore since i use HOST block file,

and then i found uBlock, it's open source.

The problem with Host file redirection is that you can't easily turn it on/off or allow on certain sites.

Side note: AdBlock Plus is open source as well.

So chances are you see ads, but since they aren't super annoying, play sound, flashes or anything like that, you don't notice them.

Nope. I installed AB about two years ago. I never touched any settings. Since then, every plugin get synced over my Google account, so I don't have to install anything. Never seen any ads, still not today (not even Link ads in Google or anything).

Edit:

I just noticed I have to versions installed. One is Adblock Plus and the other one is just "AdBlock". It seems to be very effective to have both  ;)

bar377d.png

The only reason I use adblock is to block those annoying ads on youtube videos, I dont really care if id see a few here and there on some websites.

Bandwidth does cost money, especially those of us stuck in the arse end of the world. My ISP already rolls for anal circumference with its tight data caps.

5 second ads and mid roll ads add up if you watch more than a small number of videos a day.

Advertising is a reasonable funding model iff they are not excessive or intrusive, eg simple text ads, but aiming to increase the number of ads to American TV levels is self defeating as it encourages greater adoption of adblockers.

Yeah, but I do not think Youtube ads are excessive by any means. And about the bandwidth, then yeah I understand, but that is not because of ad companies, it is the fault of the ISPs.

And tell Linus (and the rest of the crew ofc) his job is not a "real" job.

But Linus Media Group are doing a real job. They don't just rely on shitty web ads, and don't cry when people use AdBlock.

I just know that those things are not free to maintain and if we want a better internet

loool.

You do realise the internet lasted long before ads were a thing, right? Where people actually uploaded content for fun and not for maximum profit, right?

And heck, if 80% of the internet "died" (they wouldn't) due to no one taking their ads up their backsides, then all the best sites would still exist. Wikipedia, non-profit news sites, independent journalism, science websites, etc.

Yeah, but I do not think Youtube ads are excessive by any means. And about the bandwidth, then yeah I understand, but that is not because of ad companies, it is the fault of the ISPs.

No, that is because of the ad companies. The ad companies force shitty ads in your face and use your bandwidth. How on earth is that the ISPs fault that some scumbag ad companies are forcing ads through your connection without your approval?

Good for you. I think YouTube ads are incredibly fucking excessive and will block every single one of them.