Safe to buy a used GPU?

Oberon.Smite

I'm about to buy a new system, as shown by my signature, and was wondering if buying used GPUs was safe. The Bitcoin craze is mostly over, and so I'd expect to get used GPUs at not-so-bad conditions. So, save money on the GPU? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-Radeon-HD-7970-R9-280X-3GB-384-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-E-3-0-Video-Graphics-Card-/171632171900?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item27f6131b7c

This seller seems to have a one year warranty included. Worth it? I think so.

Best to ask if it was used for bitcoin mining, and i don't believe the warranty covers it if it's used.

Woo!

buy new, get the free games. looking through other items the seller has up, it was defnitely used for mining, so its probably lost a lot of life.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I would buy new. Buying used computer hardware is a quick way to lose money.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I'm about to buy a new system, as shown by my signature, and was wondering if buying used GPUs was safe. The Bitcoin craze is mostly over, and so I'd expect to get used GPUs at not-so-bad conditions. So, save money on the GPU? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-Radeon-HD-7970-R9-280X-3GB-384-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-E-3-0-Video-Graphics-Card-/171632171900?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item27f6131b7c

This seller seems to have a one year warranty included. Worth it? I think so.

Sapphire's warranty is non-transferable I believe. I'd spend the extra $50 and get a brand new R9 280x.

I would never buy a used GPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thanks. Probably will sell my old ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 on ebay to make up for the cash. I'll have to borrow that from my mum. 

I would never buy a used GPU.

This about sums up my thoughts. 

Depends on the seller. Bought a titan used. Been several years no issues. I would do it again too.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Depends on the seller, no one can safely say that it's safe or not. You might get scammed and be sad [ =( ] or be happy [ =) ] that you saved 200USD on a perfectly working GPU.

Think of it this way; What will you do with your 280 when you buy a new GPU? Not gonna throw it into trash I suppose, most likely sell it, and there is a lot of people like you.

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

I bought a 670 used it has annoying coil whine but works fine and was $80 so for me it was worth it my next card I'm gonna try and buy one of those no coil whine guaranteed cards I hate it

Get in contact with the seller,  ask some stuff, make sure he's legit. Allways look out for real photos. If you're not sure, use the photo for a search on google. If you find it on e.g. a hardware review site, he probably stole it from there and is not legit. :D

I bought 2 GPUs from ebay so far. My GTX 580 has been an awesome companion for last summer. I recently also picked up a GTX 970 for 270€ - haterz gonna hate - and what can i say... :D

Just make sure the guy is legit, ask if the guy has the bill for warranty purposes, that is important.

The HD 7970 that you have there is a bit expensive. Try to get a R9 280X at least, especially if there is still a bill with at least 1 year of warranty.

Maybe ask about coil whine.

It's basically very safe, just don't buy GTX Titan Zs for $800, that's a scam. xD

who cares...

If it isn't use for mining and is still in good shape then i think it is perfectly safe to get a used gpu. But if you can save up a bit more money and get a new gpu that would be ideal

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something.