720P Looks bad on 1080p monitor?

RedXGaming
Go to solution Solved by CostcoSamples,

yeah, its pretty typical.  resizing a video signal on your display means it has to interpolate, which never looks good, unless the number of pixels are an even multiple.  for example, watching a 1080p movie on a 4k display, full screen, would look great because the 4k resolution is exactly 4 times the resolution of 1080p.  so one pixel from the 1080p signal can be assigned to 4 pixels on the display - effectively making the display act as a native 1080p display.  720p and 1080p are not an even multiple, so watching 720p full screen on a 1080p display means there are extra pixels to fill in, so the software interpolates between pixels to roughly guess what it should be.  Watching the 720p signal not in full screen will look fabulous if its playing at a 1:1 ratio on your display.  on the other hand, watching 1080p video on a 720p display has the same problem in reverse.  I don't think there is anything you can do about it, other than try different software to see if it does a better job interpolating.

So i just want to ask when i record a 720p video on my monitor on a small/medium screen the video looks good,but when i fullscreen it it looks rubbish,on the other hand when i record a 1080p video small/medium screen its bad and when i fullscreen it it looks awesome? Is this an issue or what? Some people dont have that from what ive heard

Fixels are square, all I have to say. You need better software too maybe.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You're looking at a lower res on a higher res monitor. same thing if your viewing a YouTube video at 120P, it'll look like crap, but on a 120P screen, it'll look great (dont know where to find a 120P screen, though.)

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

If you're running fullscreen content at a non-native resolution, the pixels in the content won't match up properly with the pixels of your monitor. This will cause it to look smudgy due to the fact that it has to "guess" what colors to display where (interpolation).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Interpolation.

this

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

yeah, its pretty typical.  resizing a video signal on your display means it has to interpolate, which never looks good, unless the number of pixels are an even multiple.  for example, watching a 1080p movie on a 4k display, full screen, would look great because the 4k resolution is exactly 4 times the resolution of 1080p.  so one pixel from the 1080p signal can be assigned to 4 pixels on the display - effectively making the display act as a native 1080p display.  720p and 1080p are not an even multiple, so watching 720p full screen on a 1080p display means there are extra pixels to fill in, so the software interpolates between pixels to roughly guess what it should be.  Watching the 720p signal not in full screen will look fabulous if its playing at a 1:1 ratio on your display.  on the other hand, watching 1080p video on a 720p display has the same problem in reverse.  I don't think there is anything you can do about it, other than try different software to see if it does a better job interpolating.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

i was using obs by the way which i heard is a really good free software