SanDisk ULLtraDIMM DDR3 400GB SSD Enterprise Review

BiG StroOnZ

Could Motherboard manufacturers make a dedicated slot just for this? Like ya know still get the 32GB of Ram plus an extra slot for storage?

Chip makers would have to dedicate space for it on it the silicon, since the memory controller is on there. Or we could have a second memory controller on the mobo but it would introduce more latency.

(It's a guess)

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

WANT.

I bet it's costs a fuck shit crapton though!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Sandisk you're a genius. Installing this would be so much easier considering how crammed my m-ATX case is. Now I just gotta wait a few years until this reaches the consumer market at an affordable price.. Hopefully not too long.

That's cool!
For those who dont wanna use 64GB ram, this is a useful solution to get a high performance rig. :-)

Sorry ?

What the hell :o so you can put 1 stick of ram and SSD-RAM in the 3 remaining ram slot ?

Is this even useful ? Nah, don't care want it. Somehow. Neat.

Yes, they are actually made to be ran in Raid 0. 

OH. MY. GOD.

Now I just need them to be cheap, and to have a quad channel mobo with more than 4 dimms :P

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

so... not compatible with X99 then? What a shame...

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

How the system will recognised it? As ram or a storage drive? How about our current mobos with 32 gb limit? Propably it should go with a new technology and not backward compatible. But ifbthis SSD goint to be ram it will not lose its data after shutdown? No need for hibernate? So if i play a game and close the pc will it start directly where i leave the game? I do not know if it possible but imagine this could happen :)

Chip makers would have to dedicate space for it on it the silicon, since the memory controller is on there. Or we could have a second memory controller on the mobo but it would introduce more latency.

(It's a guess)

Some extra engineering would definitely need to go into this, but I think they could pull it off if they truly cared. The first ones to pull it off on a consumer grade motherboard will make a killing. If the SSD isn't hilariously overpriced, of course.

Potatoes? Potatoes! Potatoes.

How the system will recognised it? As ram or a storage drive? How about our current mobos with 32 gb limit? Propably it should go with a new technology and not backward compatible. But ifbthis SSD goint to be ram it will not lose its data after shutdown? No need for hibernate? So if i play a game and close the pc will it start directly where i leave the game? I do not know if it possible but imagine this could happen :)

It's simply RAM with a NAND backup that will appear to the system like any other storage device. Except drivers and UEFI implementations are required to support this properly. This is currently being developed for the server space, where there isn't a 32GB limit of memory. This is just like any other drive once installed and setup, so you won't lose data. But even if it was developed as a consumer enthusiast part, you could still have 16GB of memory with two of these installed running in RAID 0, that's just on Z97. There are DDR4 versions of this technology being developed now, so obviously that means for X99 you can have two of these installed, while still obtaining more than 16GB of memory. Again, if they developed a consumer version of this technology.

Oh god ... O.o   You'll have to review that piece ! ... way sexier than 3x21:9 screen.... 

Not sexier but definitely more interesting.

^This, you made me think of it now I want it D:

One question tho.

I know that would be really good for servers (but they already have arrays of SSD's as RAM's), but isn't the m.2 jus better for us, "normal consumers"? This can achieve speeds ~8gigabits, while m.2 can go up to 10gigabits.

And don't tell me you would notice 10 microseconds.

Anyway, I want some nice matte black m.2 for my Maximus VII Hero, but there is none (I found pictures of one, but thats all). As theyre little but too hot, I'm thinking of putting some heatsink on it (similarheatsink as rams have, just from one side). Do you think it would work? I'm worried that it might fall off and short my components, even if I use glue thats used to glue heatsinks to RAM (maybe if I use same shit as G.Skill does, as I almost snapped my sticks to half when trying to remove heatsink from it).

So if i play a game and close the pc will it start directly where i leave the game?

That would be plausible if this acted as a ram, but it does not, and for a good reason, its an SSD, meaning its WAYY slower than actual ram, thus presentting you with set of problems.

1. It would be same as installing minium ammount of ram to your computer and allocating some SSD space as a pagefile, wich is slow and lags and all that nasty stuff, and hanging applications etc...

2. Its an SSD that has been mountted on a pcb with DIMM connector, thus if you write 1 byte of data to this SSD while its acting as an RAM it would use a whole block as an SSD does, block size depends on SSD but its usualy larger than 1 Mb

3. Your system writes to your ram all the time constantly thus if you used this as ram you would use it up in less than a month (as it is an SSD)

4. It is an SSD thus it requires "remove" step to delete data allready in there, so you would have ram to fill up in few hours at most, and it would not get emptied ever (unless manualy cleaned), so after couple of hours it would be full and your computer would most likely crash, even if it nowerdays is quite uncommon in windows

EDIT: corrected some spelling errors

Hate to burst everyone's bubbles, but you need an enterprise motherboard, not even a workstation board. These are fully buffered 260-some pin DIMMs, not the 240-pin DIMMs you can put in a standard PC.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Oh god ... O.o   You'll have to review that piece ! ... way sexier than 3x21:9 screen.... 

@LinusTech Review!!!

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Where does this go? Does it go where I think it does?

Into a floppy drive? You sir are correct.

Some extra engineering would definitely need to go into this, but I think they could pull it off if they truly cared. The first ones to pull it off on a consumer grade motherboard will make a killing. If the SSD isn't hilariously overpriced, of course.

I assume the board will be overpriced too :P

It's a shame. Considering RAM bandwidth, I expected something 20x faster...