Any better sub options?

Enderman

Just looking for some 3rd party opinions before I make my purchase...

I'm planning to buy a 15" sub to add to my speaker system at school. Is this the best option I can get for the money?

I see plenty of cheaper options but they seem like cheap brands, and afaik MTX has quite a good reputation.

At first I questioned the performance due to the abnormal surround, but after some research it seems like its actually better than the normal dome ring.

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-Audio-5515-44-Series-Subwoofer/dp/B00BJF4VB4/ref=sr_1_117?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1415585707&sr=1-117

611jD4Ne0EL._SL1500_.jpg

Is this the best I can get for $65?

Or is there something much better for just a bit more money?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Is this a car sub you're trying to add? Maybe try Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Is this a car sub you're trying to add? Maybe try Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc.

Yup. Cause HT subs are much more expensive for the SPL they produce.

For some reason I did not see any pioneer/apline/kenwood on amazon.com?

The only two brands I recognised are Kicker and MTX...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yup. Cause HT subs are much more expensive for the SPL they produce.

For some reason I did not see any pioneer/apline/kenwood on amazon.com?

The only two brands I recognised are Kicker and MTX...

That is like, odd. The brands I mentioned are actually well known, maybe it's just the filters you put maybe.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

That is like, odd. The brands I mentioned are actually well known, maybe it's just the filters you put maybe.

Weird, the only filer I put on was 15"...

Maybe they dont make 15" subs?

Spoiler

I'd go for this one. You still have to get a box, amp, power supply, line driver etc.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Weird, the only filer I put on was 15"...

Maybe they dont make 15" subs?

Maybe not.

When I first read the title, I thought you meant a computer sub, and I was like, "That ain't happenin, bro." But then you were talking about car subs. heh.

I'd go for this one. You still have to get a box, amp, power supply, line driver etc.

That's only 12" though...

I already have a box, and I am using a receiver as an amp.

That's 12" though, @Enderman does it have to be 15?

Yeah, because I'm using it to replace a 15" woofer driver that is already in a box.

Spoiler

Honestly MTX's are decent not the best. If you can shoot for a rockford fosgate 12 inch.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P1S4-12-12-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B004TATPBW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1415589139&sr=8-9&keywords=12+inch+sub

These p1's are pretty good but if youve got the money for a p2 id go for it.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

So you're looking for a car sub to use not in a car? I'm confused...

Its just a speaker. Ive seen alot of people that want better sound quality than something you can buy for your computer and build their own system for home or theater.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Honestly MTX's are decent not the best. If you can shoot for a rockford fosgate 12 inch.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P1S4-12-12-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B004TATPBW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1415589139&sr=8-9&keywords=12+inch+sub

These p1's are pretty good but if youve got the money for a p2 id go for it.

Thats not a 15" sub though... :(

So you're looking for a car sub to use not in a car? I'm confused...

A sub is just a speaker. As long as you know how to wire it up correctly with the right equipment you can use any speaker anywhere you want :)

Its just a speaker. Ive seen alot of people that want better sound quality than something you can buy for your computer and build their own system for home or theater.

DIY is what I love. A car sub is definitely not anywhere close to the sound quality+accuracy of a HT receiver, but in this case I'm looking for loud not accurate :D

Spoiler

So you can just get a 15" car sub, put in a box, wire it up to your PC, and use it? Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

So you can just get a 15" car sub, put in a box, wire it up to your PC, and use it? Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Still need your amp and a powersupply to hook up to it. 

Thats not a 15" sub though... :(

A sub is just a speaker. As long as you know how to wire it up correctly with the right equipment you can use any speaker anywhere you want :)

DIY is what I love. A car sub is definitely not anywhere close to the sound quality+accuracy of a HT receiver, but in this case I'm looking for loud not accurate :D

They make 15 inch models as well of their punch line.  No pun intended 

I'm using a stereo receiver to power all my passive speakers.

Most people use some kind of amp that runs on 120v to use car subs at home, but I use a 200W receiver. It sounds a bit underpowered compared to those 1500W car amps, but currently it is driving 9 speakers including two 12" drivers and one 15" as well as a 200W car sub, and I still only use it at about 2/3 of full volume.

I might consider buying a second 200W receiver just for this sub if I find its not loud enough.

Spoiler

They make 15 inch models as well of their punch line.  No pun intended 

Ok I will look into it, thanks :)

Spoiler

Most people use some kind of amp that runs on 120v to use car subs at home, but I use a 200W receiver. It sounds a bit underpowered compared to those 1500W car amps, but currently it is driving 9 speakers including two 12" drivers and one 15" as well as a 200W car sub, and I still only use it at about 2/3 of full volume.

I might consider buying a second 200W receiver just for this sub if I find its not loud enough.

Make sure you get everything hooked up right and have your resistences consistent, and how many channels does your amp have?

Fuuuuuu, i need an amp.

Make sure you get everything hooked up right and have your resistences consistent, and how many channels does your amp have?

Its two channels, L & R with A and B outputs. Total 2x100W output. My resistances are definitely not consistent, but I will be working on fixing that up for when I get the sub. So far nothing has blown apart from a few compression drivers :P The receiver gets quite hot near max volume but it still works perfectly fine, and I have added some fans to cool it down xD ive got to take some pictures and put it up on the forum, its a crazy setup.

Spoiler

Fuuuuuu, i need an amp.

Nice profile pic, lol. :lol:

Spoiler

Nice profile pic, lol. :lol:

I know, cute and funny, right? I'm just so pumped up to see the GTX 960.

Please note that a sealed car sub may disappoint because of the lack of the huge room gain.

What do you mean "lack of huge room gain"?

I will have it in a ported box, but I am curious as to why a sealed box would reduce performance...

Spoiler

What do you mean "lack of huge room gain"?

I will have it in a ported box, but I am curious as to why a sealed box would reduce performance...

The gain you get in the lower frequencies when using it in a small room, such as a car.

Sealed works well in a car because the lower freq rolloff is somewhat compensated by, by the gain.

Please don't put it in a pre fab ported box. Especially the port, but also the enclosure, has to be optimized for the sub driver that will be used.

Can you give some more details on the box you'll be using it with?