BSOD - Disk i/o error

Go to solution Solved by Nizzel,

Just try only putting in your HDD and see whether that makes any difference. It should give you more error messages if it's on the SSD, but if it's actually installed on the HDD it will at least try to boot.

I had the same thought...I had him install just the SSD..and he got a repair disc prompt and not a NO OS prompt..

I hope that it is just a MBR issue and nothing more..

Good news everyone :D i just reinstalled windows on my SSD and now it works :) i dont know why all of this happends.. seems like i can boot up from my SSD and HDD now.. lol but yah it works :D so thats great - thanks for all the help i appriciate it 

i7 2600k 4.2Ghz

SLI gtx 560

Corsair vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz

Cooler master Silent Pro 850W

MSI P67A-GD65

WD 5400RPM 1.5TB 

840 Pro 256GB

Corsair H80i

Okay so it all started with me getting a Disk i/o error with skype i did not care much at that time cause i just closed skype opende it again and it worked, not big of a deal then suddenly my pc started to freeze alot and at the time it froze skype would do that disk i/o error atleast some of the times. i can see that its not because of my CPU or anything temps are fine its not on 100% load or anything like that so i suspect its the harddrive or my SSD :(.. 

not long ago i turned on ACHI or something like that to my SSD could that be the reason? could my motherboard not support it that much and do i need to disable anything else so it can? 

im sorry that one of the pictures are in Danish but hopefully it gives some information either way. 

also it get atlest 2 BSOD everyday.

Any help is appriciated if you need more information about this just say so.

Thanks in advance :D

post-20213-0-05199000-1370515195.pngpost-20213-0-90913100-1370515195.pngpost-20213-0-14794900-1370515196.png

Download a S.M.A.R.T. monitoring programme and see if anything is wrong with the HDD

Interested in Business and Technology

Run error checking on your drives (Windows Explorer -> right click the drive -> tools -> error checking).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Download a S.M.A.R.T. monitoring programme and see if anything is wrong with the HDD

i just did and it showed it was okay well it said Good on my HDD and 100% on my SSD i used Crystaldiskinfo 

So i did all sort of stuff to get it to work and for some reason i could not even boot up anymore i just got a BSOD.. so i turned of AHCI and it turns out that my system in regedit had it changed to 3 again for some odd reason so i turned that back.. also everything else is reverted to the day before i had my SSD for some odd reason ._. but i still got the stuff in my SSD but when i boot up on my SSD it boots with my HDD instead o.O.. even though i have it to boot on the SSD it makes no sense ._____. ?!? o.O.. im so confused i tried to run something that was on my SSD like league of legends but loading time was as of the HDD... O.O.. 

Run error checking on your drives (Windows Explorer -> right click the drive -> tools -> error checking).

Moving on with my story i just started checking for errors hopeing that it will help :)..  also my SSD is not G: instead of C: for some odd reason .___. and i dont know how to change that back? before it was C: cause its my boot drive.. anyways im probably gonna format my SSD and then install windows on it again and see how it goes

How did you rename your boot drive? LOL, your not suppose to be allowed to.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

To change the drive letter, if the boot drive's not locked, go to disk management, right click and select "change drive letters and paths", then change it back. If you can't do that, there are some freeware tools which let you configure more complex stuff like that during boot.

HTTP/2 203

How did you rename your boot drive? LOL, your not suppose to be allowed to.

i never did anything :O.. when the system somehow rollbacked my system it was renamed to G instead of C o.O.

To change the drive letter, if the boot drive's not locked, go to disk management, right click and select "change drive letters and paths", then change it back. If you can't do that, there are some freeware tools which let you configure more complex stuff like that during boot.

im not allowed to do that in disk management.. it says the parameter is incorrect, do you know any software to do this? im trying to find one but cant really find one atm :P.. link one if you find any :)

EDIT: i found out that its because its the OS drive i guess? that does explain why it boots up like a snail cause its on my HDD even though i choose SSD in the BIOS

i never did anything :o.. when the system somehow rollbacked my system it was renamed to G instead of C o.O.

im not allowed to do that in disk management.. it says the parameter is incorrect, do you know any software to do this? im trying to find one but cant really find one atm :P.. link one if you find any :)

EDIT: i found out that its because its the OS drive i guess? that does explain why it boots up like a snail cause its on my HDD even though i choose SSD in the BIOS

Try this http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Free-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

HTTP/2 203

Don't ever change the drive letter for the boot drive, you'll have to MANUALLY change EVERY SINGLE entry in the registry.

15" MBP TB

Don't ever change the drive letter for the boot drive, you'll have to MANUALLY change EVERY SINGLE entry in the registry.

ah so thats why my SSD is not working? well when i press anything in it i just think my HDD opens it!.. that could be it! so i guess if i use 

this program and change it to C again it would work?

ah so thats why my SSD is not working? well when i press anything in it i just think my HDD opens it!.. that could be it! so i guess if i use 

this program and change it to C again it would work?

No guarantee, but it could help. If not, I would advise changing back:

or you have to do this

HTTP/2 203

No guarantee, but it could help. If not, I would advise changing back:

or you have to do this

i dont even know how to use that program ._. where do i change the C: to something else? in the program that is

:P... sorry for being a noob

EDIT: i found out how to but you cant change the C: 

gonna have to do it the hard way.. and how do you do that?

You have your memory OC'd to 1866mhz. Have you tried dropping that down to 1600..and running memtest?

Check how you have your SDD's and HDD set up on your MB..check the BIOS for the port address of the drives.Keep your boot drive on SATA1 and the WD on SATA2. Disable the Marvell SATA ports.

Give that a try and let us know what happens..

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

gonna have to do it the hard way.. and how do you do that?

i found out how to do it in regedit so i now have my SSD as my C: which is awesome cause now i got alot of my stuff to start up on my SSD but it still boots up with my HDD even though i choose my SSD

You have your memory OC'd to 1866mhz. Have you tried dropping that down to 1600..and running memtest?

Check how you have your SDD's and HDD set up on your MB..check the BIOS for the port address of the drives.Keep your boot drive on SATA1 and the WD on SATA2. Disable the Marvell SATA ports.

i have tried running a few memtest with 1866mhz and it seems to be stable 

as with the SATA1 and SATA2 thing i got no idea and i will check that and try to disable the Marvell Sata ports - will report back after

my SSD is now on SATA1 and my WD is on SATA2 i dont know how to disable the marvell ports could not really find anything but i might just be blind who knows, it did still boot up with the HDD even though i choose the SSD in bios for the boot up

The MB manual said that SATA 1 and 2 are Intel controlled. Do you have a internal CD/DVD connected on any SATA ports.?..If you do ..in your BIOS disable all unused SATA ports..and if you do not use the eSATA ports at the rear I/O..then disable these as well..Unplug ALL but your boot drive and reboot the system..I assume that your SSD has the OS installed and is your C:\ boot drive..? 

Have you ever had your OS installed your HDD..?

The MB manual said that SATA 1 and 2 are Intel controlled. Do you have a internal CD/DVD connected on any SATA ports.?..If you do ..in your BIOS disable all unused SATA ports..and if you do not use the eSATA ports at the rear I/O..then disable these as well..Unplug ALL but your boot drive and reboot the system..I assume that your SSD has the OS installed and is your C:\ boot drive..? 

Have you ever had your OS installed your HDD..?

So i took out my HDD and booted up and it said that i need a windows repair cd, i know my friend got one of thoose so i will ask him to take that with hit when he comes to my house tomorrow. 

if that can solve the problem then that would be great :P.. i dont know if it will if not then i will try what you said, with that said i did try and do some of the stuff you said but i dont want to mess to much around with BIOS since i dont know 100% what to disable etc etc, either way im thankfull for all the support from everyone i will be writing more info after i have tried with that CD

Oh yah also i havent got any BSOD or freeze at all and i have been able to use it :P.. now i just need to make it able to boot up on it :D.. but its atleast something.. 

Great to hear... :)

Do not plug in any other HDD's until you have your system booting into the right disk. The reason why you need to isolate the rest of the SATA's is to keep the system only tasked with the main drive. Your other drives and SATA's should work OK . 

Are you sure windows is actually installed on your ssd? It sounds like it could possible just be installed on your hdd, although I don't know. It could just be the bootmgr.

HTTP/2 203

Are you sure windows is actually installed on your ssd? It sounds like it could possible just be installed on your hdd, although I don't know. It could just be the bootmgr.

I had the same thought...I had him install just the SSD..and he got a repair disc prompt and not a NO OS prompt..

it should be installed.. i have booted up from my SSD for over an month and then suddenly all of this happend. i also do have the windows folder on my SSD and its about 27GB ( my windows folder ) 

but i guess i will wait untill my friend comes over with that CD :P.. im just happy that my SSD is working :) 

it should be installed.. i have booted up from my SSD for over an month and then suddenly all of this happend. i also do have the windows folder on my SSD and its about 27GB ( my windows folder ) 

but i guess i will wait untill my friend comes over with that CD :P.. im just happy that my SSD is working :)

Just try only putting in your HDD and see whether that makes any difference. It should give you more error messages if it's on the SSD, but if it's actually installed on the HDD it will at least try to boot.

HTTP/2 203

Good news everyone :D i just reinstalled windows on my SSD and now it works :) i dont know why all of this happends.. seems like i can boot up from my SSD and HDD now.. lol but yah it works :D so thats great - thanks for all the help i appriciate it