Upgrade to the FX-8320 or upgrade to the G3258 (lol why does this beat the FX 6300 for way less)

On the other side the FX8350 is about 15FPS behind the 4790K @ stock

Nope, around 40-50%.

Haswell-Extreme_Test_i7-5960X_i7-5820K_B

Well that pentium is going to suck in editing and live streaming so id go for the fx

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Nope, around 40-50%.

Haswell-Extreme_Test_i7-5960X_i7-5820K_B

That's bullcrap. If you're playing some VERY poorly optimised game that uses like 1 core then maybe, otherwise no.

The OP should get an FX 8320 over an G3258 purely down to the fact he wishes to stream and do rendering. The G3258 will tank when trying to stream and game. However, the upgrade route for the FX series right now is just non-existent but will currently suit the OP's needs better than a G3258.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

For Game, Stream and Video render you need I7

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Oh god the bar graphs.

I Game, Stream and Video render. I was thinking of picking up the G3258 and a cheap board and it seems to do better in gaming compared to the 6300 and I can at least upgrade to a new i5 compared to being stuck at the 8320

Here is the sensible answer, you obviously don't want AMD if your upgrading to an i5 later, it's just not good on the bank. You don't want the G3258 if your upgrading as your losing out AND wasting money.

As for why the Pentium runs better... Well the Internets bar graphs say it's better but the custom PC mag I have at home says it's not (and these aren't hand picked review CPUs), on top of that you still need to buy the cooling to overclock. Don't trust benchmarks only trust peoples first hand experience with them.

For Game, Stream and Video render you need I7

Need, and optimal are different things. I can do all of those things perfectly fine on an i5. And with OBS I use the QuickSync encoder.

Don't trust benchmarks only trust peoples first hand experience with them. 

I agree. I was quite dissatisfied with my G3258. I felt it performed worse in games than my FM2 APU and FX8320.

However mine was about as bad as they come for overclocking. So that might contribute.

Need, and optimal are different things. I can do all of those things perfectly fine on an i5. And with OBS I use the QuickSync encoder.

I agree. I was quite dissatisfied with my G3258. I felt it performed worse in games than my FM2 APU and FX8320.

However mine was about as bad as they come for overclocking. So that might contribute.

Get i7

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Get i7

Why? i5 does what I need it to. I have 0 hiccups. I use OpenCL assisted rendering so it's as fast as my old i7 was and that crushed it in Cinebench.

You do not need an i7 to render or stream. It's just better. Stop using the wrong words.

Why? i5 does what I need it to. I have 0 hiccups. I use OpenCL assisted rendering so it's as fast as my old i7 was and that crushed it in Cinebench.

Get i7 :)

Oh god the bar graphs.

Here is the sensible answer, you obviously don't want AMD if your upgrading to an i5 later, it's just not good on the bank. You don't want the G3258 if your upgrading as your losing out AND wasting money.

As for why the Pentium runs better... Well the Internets bar graphs say it's better but the custom PC mag I have at home says it's not (and these aren't hand picked review CPUs), on top of that you still need to buy the cooling to overclock. Don't trust benchmarks only trust peoples first hand experience with them.

While I agree that the G3258 will leave the OP with a lot to be desired in terms of rendering and streaming, I disagree that you need an CPU cooler to OC the Pentium.  You don't.  Its only a 2 core chip, so it doesn't get very hot.  The stock cooler is capable of handling up to 1.35v on the Pentium, with temps getting to the high 60s, low 70s while gaming.  You don't need an aftermarket CPU Cooler.

Yes, first hand experience is key.  You can ask a lot of forum members how much they like their G3258s, and the majority of them will say them love them and can play almost any game without issue.  Its unfortunate that Harrynowl didn't have good results, but that could be due to a poor OC.  Most people I see are running 4.4Ghz or higher and getting great performance in games, especially considering the price.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I Game, Stream and Video render. I was thinking of picking up the G3258 and a cheap board and it seems to do better in gaming compared to the 6300 and I can at least upgrade to a new i5 compared to being stuck at the 8320

I'm sure its been covered already, but while the G3258 might perform as well or a little better in games, it would be pretty close. And of course it would fall behind in things that are better-threaded. Definitely not worth investing in a new motherboard for. Personally, I'd stick with the 6300 for now and overclock it as far as you can until you're ready to take the jump to a Broadwell or Skylake Core i5 all at once.

I'm sure its been covered already, but while the G3258 might perform as well or a little better in games, it would be pretty close. And of course it would fall behind in things that are better-threaded. Definitely not worth investing in a new motherboard for. Personally, I'd stick with the 6300 for now and overclock it as far as you can until you're ready to take the jump to a Broadwell or Skylake Core i5 all at once.

Based on what you do, this is going to be your best option.  While the gaming performance will undoubtedly be better, you will be losing out on the productivity side of things, which it sounds like you are heavily into.

Wait until you have enough money to make the switch to i5 + Z97.  I think making incremental improvements will leave you unsatisfied.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If you plan on getting a high end GPU like an r290, gtx780, or gtx 970 and above I wouldn't recommend either. I have an fx8320 paired with a 290 and I get 70% GPU usage in most dx11 games with v-sync off, indicating a CPU bottleneck. And I'm not the only one, just google fx8350 performance issues and you'll see.

That's bullcrap. If you're playing some VERY poorly optimised game that uses like 1 core then maybe, otherwise no.

The OP should get an FX 8320 over an G3258 purely down to the fact he wishes to stream and do rendering. The G3258 will tank when trying to stream and game. However, the upgrade route for the FX series right now is just non-existent but will currently suit the OP's needs better than a G3258.

A 8320 will tank too when streaming. Using a 4 threaded game like BF3 (proved this before so no need to do it again);

8320 at 4.2GHz:

FEeqFlb.png

My 3930K at stock, so basically a 2500K;

z6C1ftI.png

That 8320 was even bottlenecking a single 7870 xt.

If I was in your position and I couldn't afford an i5 or Xeon e3 in my budget. I'd grab an h97 or z97 board and an unlocked Pentium. Then when broadwell comes out I'd swap in an i5 or Xeon part. This is simply based off the fact that I'm disappointed in my amd fx-8320 and regret the purchase. Shouldnt have been a cheapskate and should have went with an Intel setup in the first place.

Just ignore @Sintezza. She's typical amd ignorant fangirl. Don't listen to her.

If you have to choose between those too, still G3258 is a better choice. AMD cpus are crap.

Why 13 year old me. Why AMD

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Why 13 year old me. Why AMD

Probably because other people on this forum not knowing and recommending bad products for gaming computers. That and passmark/cpuboss.

Probably because other people on this forum not knowing and recommending bad products for gaming computers. That and passmark/cpuboss.

I don't think the G3258 was even out when I purchased the FX 6300

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

If you plan on getting a high end GPU like an r290, gtx780, or gtx 970 and above I wouldn't recommend either. I have an fx8320 paired with a 290 and I get 70% GPU usage in most dx11 games with v-sync off, indicating a CPU bottleneck. And I'm not the only one, just google fx8350 performance issues and you'll see.

I have an R9 290 with an FX 6300.

I have an R9 290 with an FX 6300.

wow that's quite unbalanced...the thing is the pentium give a nice upgrade path to an i5 or an i7...the pentium CPU as is it's not a great gaming chip unless most games played are older tech MMORPG's...BUT the fact that it can be upgraded to a CPU that performs twice as good is a good selling point...i'd pick an FX before a pentium if it was only going to be between those two, sure...but upgrade path.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

wow that's quite unbalanced...the thing is the pentium give a nice upgrade path to an i5 or an i7...the pentium CPU as is it's not a great gaming chip unless most games played are older tech MMORPG's...BUT the fact that it can be upgraded to a CPU that performs twice as good is a good selling point...i'd pick an FX before a pentium if it was only going to be between those two, sure...but upgrade path.

well yeah know. I would at least expect AMD to match up their CPU's with their GPU's but I guess not.

well yeah know. I would at least expect AMD to match up their CPU's with their GPU's but I guess not.

no, AMD can provide CPU power for GPU's up to about the R9 280...anything above should be matched with a core i5 or core i7.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR