Mozilla to release an official 64bit build of firefox

AlexGoesHigh

About bloody time if you ask me, I find it a bit disappointing that Google had to do it whit chrome for them to finally push into it, there's a nightly build of it available now but expect a shit ton of bugs an issues if you want to use it now, I'll wait for official to decide if it's better or equal that waterfox which is what I have been using on my desktop

Hot on the heels of Google making a native 64-bit version of Chrome available back in August, Mozilla has let loose the fact that an official 64-bit build of Firefox is coming. It's about time, too - even Internet Explorer has had a native 64-bit version for quite some time.

To be fair, a 64-bit version of Firefox hasn't been hard to come by up to this point. A visit to the project's nightly channel could have hooked you up with what you needed, and alternative browsers based on Firefox have also made 64-bit available to users. With the fact that an official stable 64-bit Firefox is en route, though, it's a solution that fans of the browser can truly trust.

In the official project wiki, it's seen that 64-bit development has become a big focus, but there's still no hard date of when normal users will be able to snatch such a version. Why is 64-bit so important? Performance is a big reason, as is stability. Interestingly, a note is listed on the page that says a 64-bit version of Firefox could beat the launch of Windows "9", in case Microsoft retires 32-bit versions - which as the Windows 10 Preview highlights, hasn't happened.

If you're wanting to give a 64-bit Firefox a go, now that you know it's an actual focus of Mozilla and a stable version is en route, you can head on over to the nightly page and grab the latest version. The file you'll want is "firefox-XX.X.en-US.win64-x86_64.installer.exe". As the nightly browser is actually called "Nightly" and is installed to its own unique directory, your stable version of Firefox will be left in tact.

Source: http://hothardware.com/m/News/Mozilla-Outs-64Bit-Firefox-For-Windows-In-Development/default.aspx

Yes I copy pasted the article but Im using my phone while spending the night on a hospital so I'll appreciate if comments about being a terrible news post can be passed this time, I'll format properly as soon as I can get home

Edit: I'm fine my mother is the one sick, explanation a couple of post down

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Yes I copy pasted the article but Im using my phone while spending the night on a hospital so I'll appreciate if comments about being a terrible news post can be passed this time, I'll format properly as soon as I can get home

What's wrong? Why are you in a hospital? I care more about that then the article.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

What's wrong? Why are you in a hospital? I care more about that then the article.

^ This also hit me lol

Yay! I have been using Firefox almost exclusively now (Chrome was causing too many problems). Nice to see them updating to 64-bit. Wonder if there is a Mac version in the works... 

Why are you in the hospital? Nothing serious, I hope.  :(

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Don't worry, we know that this isn't your primary style of posting. Also at least it isn't dark text on dark background like other posts 

F*** yeah!!   Finally.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Don't worry, we know that this isn't your primary style of posting. Also at least it isn't dark text on dark background like other posts

Check the plug-in thread in off topic, there's a fix for that and it's amazing colonel_mortis <3 (I probably butched his name, you know why :P)

Edited by colonel_mortis
fixed my name ;)

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I'm fine, I'm in a hospital because of my mother, she has fibromialgue (search it, to complex for tldr) and cause chronic pain, usually not bad enough to visit the hospital, but this time it hit hard, she's staying tonight so they can do test tomorrow to calm it's conditions down, she probably getting discharged either tomorrow afternoon or after tomorrow morning

Also the bed for family the provide is terrible and I can't sleep hence why I'm still here it's already 11 pm

I'm fine, I'm in a hospital because of my mother, she has fibromialgue (search it, to complex for tldr) and cause chronic pain, usually not bad enough to visit the hospital, but this time it hit hard, she's staying tonight so they can do test tomorrow to calm it's conditions down, she probably getting discharged either tomorrow afternoon or after tomorrow morning

Also the bed for family the provide is terrible and I can't sleep hence why I'm still here it's already 11 pm

There's wifi so.... unless you're on data. Anyways go on reddit or imgur to make time pass by, or go on here. Here is good too....

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

There's wifi so.... unless you're on data. Anyways go on reddit or imgur to make time pass by, or go on here. Here is good too....

oh man I wish I had WiFi, imgur is amazing for procrastinating sadly I'm indeed stuck on data so I'm only in the forum because of it, since the mobile site is very lightweight and doesn't suck all my data very fast

Sometimes I miss Firefox...then I see the terrible UI and no longer do.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What about Waterfox?!

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

What about Waterfox?!

Looks like Mozilla Sherlock'd Waterfox...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Will wait until it is out to give judgement ... I have been quite disappointed with most browsers nowadays...

Sorry to hear that, my sister has the same shit, sadly there's no cure and not much that can be done for it other than painkillers. I'm thankful that somehow I don't have the same problems she does. You might consider mentioning to your mother or her doctor that that disorder can be caused by other diseases. My sister's is a result of Lupus (an auto immune system disease) often accompanied by epilepsy (which my sister has) along with a whole host of other problems. She started with epilepsy in high school, and then a bunch of other shit, and only recently did they figure out that it was lupus, she's 31 and honestly belongs in an episode of House.

So, will 64bit firefox have a noticable improvement in performance over 32bit for someone using a 4690k like myself? If so good, if not then.... why?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So, will 64bit firefox have a noticable improvement in performance over 32bit for someone using a 4690k like myself? If so good, if not then.... why?

Perhaps. Perhaps not. If you aren't already using more than 4GB while browsing then probably not.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Sometimes I miss Firefox...then I see the terrible UI and no longer do.

Give it another try the latest update improved the UI.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Sorry to hear that, my sister has the same shit, sadly there's no cure and not much that can be done for it other than painkillers. I'm thankful that somehow I don't have the same problems she does. You might consider mentioning to your mother or her doctor that that disorder can be caused by other diseases. My sister's is a result of Lupus (an auto immune system disease) often accompanied by epilepsy (which my sister has) along with a whole host of other problems. She started with epilepsy in high school, and then a bunch of other shit, and only recently did they figure out that it was lupus, she's 31 and honestly belongs in an episode of House.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. If you aren't already using more than 4GB while browsing then probably not.

I think yes it may help same as this article http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/211589-displeased-with-the-32bit-vs-64bit-fast-as-possible/, there are more reasons to go with 64-bit not just RAM.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

i've been using waterfox for a long time and i have had no problems at all.

So does it break my email extensions?

Previously when Mozilla was pressed about why they had no 64 bit version they would say it's because firefox never uses more than 4GB RAM anyway...