Taiwan 6.5 Magnitude Earthquake. Very Exciting...

LinusTech

There was a mosquito in my chamber once

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I just felt it a while ago but I live in Taipei so it was a lot weaker. The huge hanging crystal lamp in my home went swaying like crazy lol. Luckily it didn't break off.

I live in New Orleans Louisiana for most of my life. When i was in school we had the horrible experience of Hurricane Katrina. It destroyed everything. We had nothing left. When i tell you all i had left was a few hot wheels left floating on the cement slab our house was built on i am not over exaggerating. so we sold the land to FEMA and moved north to Ponchatoula Louisiana which was only 40 minuets or so away. we thought we were safe there but as luck would have it last year hurricane Issac brought 3 foot of water into the house and totaled it. luckily we had flood insurance this time so it was covered. Just last month we moved in and we are finally getting back to normal. Hurricanes are becoming all but routine to me and my family. Haha im glad it is only a hurricane though instead of a tornado. i have nightmares about those things! ugh.

I'd lick to know if anyone else lives near me or has maybe encountered the same storms i have and what their experience with them have been?

I've had a couple of category 4 and 5 cyclones which have destroyed my garden sheds. I visited Christchurch (where I was born) right between the two biggest earthquakes. And last year I went to Japan and we had a earthquake around 4 on the Richter scale. Nothing really happened though.

I felt the Virginia earthquake a few years ago. Was living in Erie, PA at the time so all I felt was just a very slight back and forth motion, nothing major. But I felt it! I've also lived through quite a few hurricanes, having lived in Florida from 91 (born) to 02. Also lived through Sandy, but it wasn't really intense here in Dover, DE. 

2012 Brisbane Floods, my house was on a hill and unaffected fortunately, but a few days trapped on the island my suburb became with no power was pretty bad. My experience was nowhere near as bad as others though.

Coolermaster HAF-X, i5-3570k@4.3Ghz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, Sapphire HD7870@1150Mhz, G.Skill Ripjaws 12GB 1600Mhz, Silverstone Strider Plus 750W, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit

Japan 9.0 mega quake in 2011. My family and I rushed up the high grounds. After that, tsunami hits.

Living in tornado alley, tornadoes are pretty common. I think the biggest one I've ever experienced was an ef-3. It tore up the roof a bit and ripped off an attic vent. It also snapped a massive spruce tree. Brick houses yo, built tough. Although it didn't directly hit my house, it was damn close though, especially to break a spruce tree mid trunk.

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

Earthquakes are common here in Costa Rica.
Once a year at least... xD
Two weeks ago we had one at 2:30 am, it woke me up and then sleep again because was very short. And was a weakling, 6.3.

Hurricane Sandy was the first real natural disaster I've experienced.

I wasn't one of the people on the coast who lost their entire home thankfully.  The only damage to our property was a tree crashing through a section of our new fence; nothing major at all.

Power was out for 12 days. No heat (electric furnace), no running water (well), and it was freezing temperatures for most of the time.  Trying to pass the time.. hell, trying to make food was a nightmare; thankfully I had a stockpile of soups and beans so I could just heat them up in a pot on the grill, but dealing with the piercing cold temperatures was awful. Had to wash dishes with rain water collected in our drums and/or bottled water, it was awful. Mother almost broke down and left to go stay with a relative.

We managed to luck out and get a generator (and were price gouged) on around day 5 which let us run water (do dishes, flush toilets, and most importantly, shower), the fridge and heat the house.  It blew up 2 days later, forcing us to go back to struggling to get through the day.  This was after driving all the way out of state just to get gas for it; and gas prices were increased so much that people were being price gouged quite heavily, not just on gas, but on everything to get through the aftermath.

We managed to find a cheap one at a warehouse store which I bought.. ran the well pump, a few lights and my computer, as I paid for a few gallons of gas.  Managed to get through the day with a few hours of XCOM.  I don't think I've ever tried to sleep as much or go out as much in my life.

After power was restored, we had to wait 2 more days for internet/phone service.  As an IT guy who has no life outside of computers, this storm was the worst experience of my life.  Other than that, we lost about $150 worth of food.  Did not receive assistance or compensation for anything, 'cause this state is run by a 1% governor.

But again, at least we didn't lose our home, nor suffer flooding damage, nor have a tree crash through our house, like we saw all over.  So, just for that fact, I can't really complain, but I still will!

Oh and fuck Verizon. They were the main cause of the power restoration delays.  Our state's power company wasn't allowed to touch their poles.. and everything in my area was owned by Verizon.  I wanted to scream.  It's ludicrous that Christie didn't give a day 1 emergency order that allowed the power companies to touch the poles.  Eventually, after DAYS of the dispute, the power company just put a pole right next to the old one and transferred everything over.  This is why ownership of things (like patents!), especially important life-critical things, is bad.

We don't have natural disasters here in Denmark... ghe worst i have experienced was a smaller hurricane...

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Living in Singapore, we don't feel anything. 0 occurences of natural disasters here

I had a fly in my laboratory ;) 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Massive flooding in Brisbane, Australia the week before I moved here. 1 and a half years later there was another flood that shut down the CBD for a few days.

Well. I live in Alabama, so there's not really anything except for severe storms and tornadoes. My home was hit by a tornado in 2010 (not a part of the 2011 tornado outbreak). My family had to completely rebuild our house because a couple of trees fell onto one half of our house, but it shifted the house off of it's foundation. Being in an EF3 tornado in the middle of the night is an experience that I will never forget.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4570k | MB: Asus Maximus VI Impact | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC | CASE: Corsair 250D | COOLER: Corsair H100i | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 | 

STORAGE: Corsair Neutron GTX 128GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX860i | SOUND: Sennheiser HD 558s -> FiiO e10 USB DAC | 

MONITOR: Asus PB278Q | AUDIO: Rode NTG-2, Blue Spark -> Blue Icicle

I live in the lower south Island of New Zealand, we get little earthquakes all the time. The biggest I've felt was a 7.8 in 2009. couldn't stand up for that one, had to hide with one of my young daughters underneath the door frame, pretty scary such an adrenaline rush. 

I was at home when suddenly... Thunder .. modem went down! No internet whole week!.... It was like apocalypse

But we did rebuild ^^

My parents were involved in Ash Wednesday Bushfires in south Australia.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Most major thing I've encountered was a 6.8 magnitude earthquake, however I don't remember it much.

Was high up on a Spanish mountain near Mijas and a fire broke out - the mountain was on fire and me and my family had to walk down the mountain until by chance a fire truck found us .............................

FX-4100 @4.5ghz // Club3d 7870 @1240 mhz // Sabertooth 990fx // 8GB Vengance Ram

OCX 120GB SSD // Segate Barracuda 2tb HDD // XFX 850 Watt PSU // H80i

i was in chile for the earthquake in february 2010 and i landed in japan one week after the earthquake on 2011 . happy to know that your are all ok  ;) 

what doesn't kill me, level me up !

There was a flood in Hanoi about 5 years ago. I didn't watch the news that morning and went straight to school. Ridding 10km to school with water as high as 2/3 my tyres. It was hardcore. Arriving at there at last to be notified that  all classes had been cancelled. A bunch of us thought it would be epic to go out and have some fun. Everyone with bicycles joined and the went out that day.

207433_10150145974269726_708777_n.jpg

I am so lucky not to have experience any natural disaster yet. Thank God for that because I hate the sound of Lightning. I hate loud noises.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

In belgium, the sun sometimes shines!

People lose their minds, not knowing what the big yellow thing up in the sky is. Crashing their cars, putting things on fire & shit.

Proud to be from Belgium.