The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions, Pre-answered!

Well let's make the list first, and I'll put together the image together afterwards

Well, is this a small list, or a big list?  We doing pricepoints or just a general top 10-20?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Hmm, maybe we should make a few images of various price ranges. A "Budget" one similar to that "Best headphones under $100" image, but maybe not quite reaching up there. Then, an "Entry Level Audiophile" maybe reaching up into the $200 ish range, and finally, a third for our "Top Picks" because we all know finding a top limit ain't gonna happen.

So far, my list includes:

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

Monoprice 108323

Superlux HD681

Superlux HD668B

Pioneer SE-A1000

Phillips Uptown

AKG K 240

Sony MDR-V6

Audiotechnica ATH-AD700

V-Moda Crossfade LP

Audiotechnica ATH-M50

Sennheiser HD 558

Audiotechnica ATH-AD700X

Beyerdynamic DT770

Beyerdynamic DT880

Beyerdynamic DT990 (I don't know where the frick to put these - the 990 pro costs less than the 770 pro at the moment!)

Audiotechnica ATH-AD900x

AKG K 701 / 702 / Q 701

Sennheiser HD 600/650

Hmm, maybe we should make a few images of various price ranges. A "Budget" one similar to that "Best headphones under $100" image, but maybe not quite reaching up there. Then, an "Entry Level Audiophile" maybe reaching up into the $200 ish range, and finally, a third for our "Top Picks" because we all know finding a top limit ain't gonna happen.

I think having it laid out with items across the board varying from $20 - $50 is nicer.  All are top picks... the user can decide for themselves what is "budget".  I always hated the cutoff price, since it excludes that better set for $20 bucks more.

Well, is this a small list, or a big list?  We doing pricepoints or just a general top 10-20?

What if it was first limited to just benchmark sets.  Headphones that are good starting point for "quality".  They can use that for further research or something a user can try if they happen to go to an audio store.  Not sure how this can work, but think this might help constrain it to audio quality first... and slowly open it up to styling, comfort and situational based (wireless, indoor , on the go... etc).

My Rigs (past and present)

I think having it laid out with items across the board varying from $20 - $50 is nicer.  All are top picks... the user can decide for themselves what is "budget".  I always hated the cutoff price, since it excludes that better set for $20 bucks more.

I plan on not including prices in the picture at all because things jump around too much, and there may even be some overlap depending on how the market's looking at any particular point in time.

What if it was first limited to just benchmark sets.  Headphones that are good starting point for "quality".  They can use that for further research or something a user can try if they happen to go to an audio store.  Not sure how this can work, but think this might help constrain it to audio quality first... and slowly open it up to styling, comfort and situational based (wireless, indoor , on the go... etc).

That's the idea. We pretty much only recommend headphones that are reference-ish or products we have personal experience with when there's not much else in that price range/style.

I plan on not including prices in the picture at all because things jump around too much, and there may even be some overlap depending on how the market's looking at any particular point in time.

That's the idea. We pretty much only recommend headphones that are reference-ish or products we have personal experience with when there's not much else in that price range/style.

You guys are going in 5 different directions at once with this, if that was possible.  What about IEMs?  That's a lot of headphones for one image, how about we narrow it down a bit so people aren't so confused?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Three images bro, not one, but narrow it down all you want. I don't know enough about IEMs to make a list.

Is this list going to live in the FAQ that no one reads before asking which headset and soundcard to buy?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Is this list going to live in the FAQ that no one reads before asking which headset and soundcard to buy?

yup

:D At the very least, I figure it'll be easier to link to people, or it'll be an easy place for us to copy-paste from.

:D At the very least, I figure it'll be easier to link to people, or it'll be an easy place for us to copy-paste from.

So you just want AN image? K...

post-7799-0-29065700-1378248095.png

attachicon.gifheadphoneshilling.png

Looks good, I would put the HD 600's a little bit more towards analytical, and put the AD700x's up there, but it's pretty good.

Don't forget to put it on the front page.

Looks good, I would put the HD 600's a little bit more towards analytical, and put the AD700x's up there, but it's pretty good.

Don't forget to put it on the front page.

Oh, that was just a joke and I was bored and there was gimp.  HD600? Yeah, it IS $100 cheaper.  If you REALLY want me to put it in the FAQ, OOOKKK then.  Hold on.

EDIT: I have too many open headphones in that list as it is.  With the death of Denon's AH line, I think the ATH-M50 is the new closed king at any price.  Plus it's fancy looking.

I think I put the AKG K240s there mostly because I was listening to it and really couldn't find any major flaws in it's signature.  The bass was even pretty good.  Especially for $80.

God.post-7799-0-39980200-1378254864.png

Most headphones in that price range that are good are open. Modded T50rp's can go up there, I might be working on a V3 of my headphones... ^_^

Not sure if you're being silly or mean.  -_-

It's just gonna be a list of 5000 headphones any other way you do it.  Or are you talking about the mic step?

Analytical vs Fun...  so no fun if Analytical?  :lol:   

Being how precise the M50's are, should it not fall more into the analytical sound quality, as opposed to say the HD650 with is warm and colored.

Most headphones in that price range that are good are open. Modded T50rp's can go up there, I might be working on a V3 of my headphones... ^_^

I got a set, but don't have time to mod them yet.  Do you have a thread on the mod?

My Rigs (past and present)

Analytical vs Fun... so no fun if Analytical? :lol:

Being how precise the M50's are, should it not fall more into the analytical sound quality, as opposed to say the HD650 with is warm and colored.

I got a set, but don't have time to mod them yet. Do you have a thread on the mod?

No I don't, it's still in development.

@ShearMe

You need to buy this. http://www.musicdirect.com/p-3724-cardas-hd650-upgrade-cable.aspx (Costs just as much as the headphones  :rolleyes: )

No but seriously, there replacement cables on eBay from like $20-40.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-3m-HD650-HD600-OFC-copper-cable-HD580-HD414-Headphone-with-CABLE-WRAP-/130964573312?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1e7e18cc80

Analytical vs Fun...  so no fun if Analytical?  :lol:   

I got a set, but don't have time to mod them yet.  Do you have a thread on the mod?

They are ALL precise.  I grouped them that way based on how much they increased the volume of certain frequencies, like in the M50's case, bass response.  The HD600/650 is much less colored ("veiled" maybe :rolleyes: ) than a closed headphone like that by a longshot.  Most people really aren't after a perfectly flat sound or even a mastering signature like the AKG K701/2.

However, generally this is the problem with headphone recommendations in an image.  Everyone's got a different experience with different headphones.  So 5000 headphones later your chart is just as confusing as when you didn't have an image at all.  I just picked out some headphones that were high performers at any price and stuck to those.  Also I disregarded anything over $400, cause it's already getting silly at that point.

No I don't, it's still in development.

@ShearMe

You need to buy this. http://www.musicdirect.com/p-3724-cardas-hd650-upgrade-cable.aspx (Costs just as much as the headphones  :rolleyes: )

No but seriously, there replacement cables on eBay from like $20-40.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-3m-HD650-HD600-OFC-copper-cable-HD580-HD414-Headphone-with-CABLE-WRAP-/130964573312?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1e7e18cc80

Replacement cable straight from Sennheiser was 13 bucks and some change.

Replacement cable straight from Sennheiser was 13 bucks and some change.

Oh yep, forgot you can buy direct from them and they don't charge you an arm and a leg.

-snip-

Your list seems to be missing Shure SRH840 ;)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Your list seems to be missing Shure SRH840 ;)

That would be one to replace either the HD558s, DT990's, or M50s with.  It's not an exhaustive list, just the most recommended and highest performing in a lot of different categories, aesthetics being one.  I almost included that one, honestly.  The HD558s and M50s just have a lot more - umm - backing, on this board.  Any of them are good picks though.