The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions, Pre-answered!

No worries, we don't judge to hard on this forum ;)

(don't tell anyone this, but I used to be a headset wearing, sound card buying, console user years ago).

Secret is safe with me ;)

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

I always thought SoundCards where better for FPS gaming, for positional audio and surround sound.

Though not true, sound cards do carry weight if they are providing special software decoding specific to the game (dolby digital live, or asus's sonic radar), and what you are using to listening to.  $$ and How well it works is another story.

I might plan to get one so I can use  the surround (5.1) speakers to work with Battlefield, but don't feel like buying one for just one game haha. Info on surround sound speaker gaming is just non-existant... and surround headphone gaming is just BS.

My Rigs (past and present)

I got a question about open air headphones, does the noise "coming out" of it really become that audible? Since my dad sits about 15 ft/5 m from me, and I don't wanna have to have any substantial noise.

Depends on the listening level of the wearer. If there's other noise in the room, he'd likely turn them up to where you'd hear the sound leak.

I got a question about open air headphones, does the noise "coming out" of it really become that audible? Since my dad sits about 15 ft/5 m from me, and I don't wanna have to have any substantial noise.

Depends on how "open" it is. My AKG K240s and DT990pros leak MUCH less than my HE-500s

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I meant I would be using it for basic gaming. I would  be using it at a lower level, where I wouldn't hear a whisper, but still hear my blues. There would also be a somewhat quiet T.V.

I'm confused as to the situation you're describing exactly, but like h264 said, it does differ per the headphone. If you're listening at a somewhat low level, it probably wouldn't be an issue, but of course that depends on how loud the room is. Have you ever been in a room with a ceiling fan running, but you didn't really notice until someone turned it off and you could hear all the other little annoying noises in the room?

Depends on how "open" it is. My AKG K240s and DT990pros leak MUCH less than my HE-500s

I think it's the huge planar drivers that do that.

HD595's have much quieter leak as well

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I think it's the huge planar drivers that do that.

HD595's have much quieter leak as well

It also has to do with the design. Some headphones are just "more" open then others.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Added. Also added mine, since I forgot.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

• 2 weeks later...

I have an amplifier and i listen to music with big stereo speakers. Question: Should the quality of the audio be the same when i connect my laptop to the amplifier as if i would connect a ps3? (Same cables). Does the amp automatically do the processing or will the audio components of the device im connecting make a difference?

Example: let's say you have two smartphones with different sound quailty onboard like some have. I've heard linus saying for example that the iphone 4 is better than whatever phone he uses for music... Would they sound the same going through the stereo amplifier?

This may be a noob question, but i would really appreciate if somebody answered!

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

I have an amplifier and i listen to music with big stereo speakers. Question: Should the quality of the audio be the same when i connect my laptop to the amplifier as if i would connect a ps3? (Same cables). Does the amp automatically do the processing or will the audio components of the device im connecting make a difference?

Example: let's say you have two smartphones with different sound quailty onboard like some have. I've heard linus saying for example that the iphone 4 is better than whatever phone he uses for music... Would they sound the same going through the stereo amplifier?

This may be a noob question, but i would really appreciate if somebody answered!

To re-phrase your question: "Does the amplifier or the DAC do the processing?"  To answer, the Digital to Analog converter does the processing of the digital signal into an analog one and the amplifier simply increases the volume, but keep in mind that laptop and smartphones ALSO have a built-in digital amplifier.  If you use a line out device on an iPhone, for instance, the amplifier will be totally bypassed by the DAC and amplification will only be handled by the speaker/receiver setup that you have (powered speakers basically being a receiver in combination with a set of speakers, all-in-one).  If you hook one amplifier up to another, you'll cause "double-amplification" to occur, which has the tendency to increase the distortion effects of both amplifiers.  If you MUST plug a set of powered speakers into an amplifier, the best way to decrease this effect is to set ONE amplifier or the OTHER at max volume (where the resistance is as close to 0 as possible) and use the other one to control the volume.

About what amounts to a second question "Do the DACs in different devices have different sound qualities?".   Of course.  However, in the last 3-5 years of devices these differences are too minute to be audible anymore.  Linus's complaint that the iPhone 4 sounds worse than his HTC One is probably because of the AMPLIFIER on his phone, not his DAC.  Once again, a line-out device or using the usb-to-go protocol to hook that phone up to a GOOD external amplifier would bypass any poor audio hardware and remove any such issues from the audio chain.

To re-phrase your question: "Does the amplifier or the DAC do the processing?"  To answer, the Digital to Analog converter does the processing of the digital signal into an analog one and the amplifier simply increases the volume, but keep in mind that laptop and smartphones ALSO have a built-in digital amplifier.  If you use a line out device on an iPhone, for instance, the amplifier will be totally bypassed by the DAC and amplification will only be handled by the speaker/receiver setup that you have (powered speakers basically being a receiver in combination with a set of speakers, all-in-one).  If you hook one amplifier up to another, you'll cause "double-amplification" to occur, which has the tendency to increase the distortion effects of both amplifiers.  If you MUST plug a set of powered speakers into an amplifier, the best way to decrease this effect is to set ONE amplifier or the OTHER at max volume (where the resistance is as close to 0 as possible) and use the other one to control the volume.

About what amounts to a second question "Do the DACs in different devices have different sound qualities?".   Of course.  However, in the last 3-5 years of devices these differences are too minute to be audible anymore.  Linus's complaint that the iPhone 4 sounds worse than his HTC One is probably because of the AMPLIFIER on his phone, not his DAC.  Once again, a line-out device or using the usb-to-go protocol to hook that phone up to a GOOD external amplifier would bypass any poor audio hardware and remove any such issues from the audio chain.

I'll add to that, if you have two amplifiers in series, then the volume of the first should be set low/middle and the volume of the second is the one you use. If the first amp (headphone amp/laptop output) is too high it will overdrive the input section of your second amp and you will get the distortion H264 said.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Some important things I've found so far:

- Vinyl rips are consistently worse than digital rips (from CDs, DCCs, etc.). I find digital rips lack the unpleasant hiss from vinyl recordings unless, of course, they were from a vinyl source to begin with, and that they are more revealing. Vinyl tends to be quieter and misses some, and sometimes a lot, of detail.

- The record label typically makes an enormous impact on sound quality. I find Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MFSL) and Steve Hoffman-mastered (SHM) recordings to be the best. Capitol can also be fairly good.

- HDTracks hasn't had very good recordings from my experience. I'd recommend initially looking for MFSL or SHM files/media.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks h264 for the FAQ, I'm a new forum member and it was really informative.

Could anyone suggest a nice, suitable pair of circumaural headphones for all round use that don't cost the majority of my student budget?

I'm planning on using the on-board audio on my Maximus VI Gene. They will be used for mainly for listening to music, watching films and playing games at home (though if they are suitable I might also use them out, on my phone instead of my current sennheisser earphones).

I'm looking for something that will give me both a pure, clear, even sound when listening to music but also make explosions and the like come to life in films and games.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Thanks h264 for the FAQ, I'm a new forum member and it was really informative.

Could anyone suggest a nice, suitable pair of circumaural headphones for all round use that don't cost the majority of my student budget?

I'm planning on using the on-board audio on my Maximus VI Gene. They will be used for mainly for listening to music, watching films and playing games at home (though if they are suitable I might also use them out, on my phone instead of my current sennheisser earphones).

I'm looking for something that will give me both a pure, clear, even sound when listening to music but also make explosions and the like come to life in films and games.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Please post a thread on this in the audio sub-forum.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69410-the-fostex-t50rp-modified-by-mayflower/

AND it's what we've all be waiting for!  Well, what Mayflower was waiting for, anyways.

I think if we rename the FAQ to "which sound card and headset is the best" people might actually read it. :blink:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.