Is this too ambitious for a first-time build?

This will be my first time building a PC, so any suggestions are welcome. It's supposed to be an ultimate powerhouse rig, used for both work (heavy algorighms/data crunching) and gaming (Watch Dogs, Star Citizen, etc). Currently there is an $800 monitor there just as a placeholder for the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q G-Sync when it comes out. Also, while I do have the cash to spend, any suggestions on reducing the overall price without compromising performance are welcome too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GK6Fbv

Not quite sure where to put this, so if this belongs under another section I apologize.

I wouldn't say it's too ambitious, it's alot of bits and bobs to deal with but take your time and you will be fine.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Are you going to put those two SSDs in RAID? Do you need the Blu-Ray optical drive?

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Not too ambitious, everyone has to start somewhere.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

are you going for SLi later? If not go max 600 watts

the PSU is fine but I will pick a better model over the RM series

small casing IMO

go with 2x8GB sticks instead of 4x4GB

save on buying windows with just buying the product key

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Please don't get arctic silver 5, that stuff is ancient and not good. Get some Noctua Nt-h1 or Icy diamond etc. I'd also recommend trying to go for a wired internet connection(ethernet) rather than wireless but if it has to be wireless get a wifi card with 802.11 AC support. Apart from that, it is a bit pricey but nothing that would make it too complicated, so this would be okay as a first build.

(also it should be in planned builds)

Are you going to put those two SSDs in RAID? Do you need the Blu-Ray optical drive?

Yes, the two 840 Pros will be in RAID-0. No other forms of storage since I believe 1TB is more than enough for me. I back up my critical data to an external drive, so I'm somewhat protected against drive faulure. The optical drive is not "necessary", but just in case it comes up. I do have a few blue rays, and it's not that expensive compared to the overall thing.

Please don't get arctic silver 5, that stuff is ancient and not good. Get some Noctua Nt-h1 or Icy diamond etc. I'd also recommend trying to go for a wired internet connection(ethernet) rather than wireless but if it has to be wireless get a wifi card with 802.11 AC support. Apart from that, it is a bit pricey but nothing that would make it too complicated, so this would be okay as a first build.

(also it should be in planned builds)

an AC card is useless without a Router that is also AC :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I think you're spending too much,honestly. :) But hey,if that's what makes you happy why the hell not,personally,I'd switch to dual 290's in xfire instead of a single 780ti. But that's just me.

I think you're spending too much,honestly. :)

well not all of us are born with the golden spoon :P

i only got a wooden spoon to use

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

are you going for SLi later? If not go max 600 watts

the PSU is fine but I will pick a better model over the RM series

small casing IMO

go with 2x8GB sticks instead of 4x4GB

save on buying windows with just buying the product key

Great suggestions, thanks.

I'll reduce the power supply, but what's wrong with the RM series? And why would you go for 2x8 on RAM instead of 4x4? I was under the impression that quad-channel is better?

Spending that much, I think it is worth the price jump to get the Sabertooth Mark1 board. Other than that, it looks like a great build

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I'll reduce the power supply, but what's wrong with the RM series? And why would you go for 2x8 on RAM instead of 4x4? I was under the impression that quad-channel is better?

RM are known to be one of the few PSU which use cheap capacitors in a gold rated PSU

Pick Seasonic, EVGA or CoolerMaster VSM series 

Z97 system only work with dual channels

only X79 can use quad channel RAMS

Go big or go home.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I'd say it's rather pricey for a first time build, but I don't see a reason not to buy it if you have the money, you're confident that you can build it, and you're sure you need the power..

In total, my first "real" rig was about $2800 (including monitors/etc).. 'Twas a great experience.

While quad channel is theoretically better (in practice it usually isn't much better), that motherboard/CPU only support dual channel.. There's nothing wrong with using 4 sticks, but they'll actually run in dual-channel, not quad.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

RM are known to be one of the few PSU which use cheap capacitors in a gold rated PSU

I wish I did some more research before I bought my RM750, so far it has been great and it might be its entire life but I could have had the EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 for the same price as my RM750.

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

not to ambitious, but also not very balanced 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($116.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($444.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($379.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($379.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: QNIX QX2710 Matte 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($343.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Ducky Zero Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($86.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2744.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-22 21:33 EDT-0400

That system is fine! That´s actually a highly recommended built for what you have got on your mind.

But that downgrading of the PSU... man you are looking forward to buy that Asus RoG Swift monitor... a 144Hz! I´d rather skip that RM and get an 860AX PSU that you have a platinum (Seasonic) and put another GTX780 Ti in there. If you get that monitor in all reality you have to make sure to take advantage of the Gsync and with that being said AMD´s pretty pointless for that monitor.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

The only thing I'd consider too ambitious is watercooling, or a build over $2000, but what do I know? My PC once done is going to cost me more, and I tried to get good cable management in a case with no cable management!

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

There's nothing complicated about the system just because of a high price. The only time it gets a little more complicated is when you're water cooling. Otherwise it's pretty much all the same.
It's super easy if you take your time. Just go slow and it all fits together like a really easy Lego set.

I'd avoid the thermal compound, the cooler comes with it applied already I believe. More than sufficient.

I'd get a cheaper BluRay player. I don't believe that one is worth the cost, they should be super cheap.

I'd save a fair bit of coin and grab a 780 Ti from EVGA's B Stock site.

Consider a Corsair keyboard.

Only wireless N? Seems like a waste on a system of this caliber. You should really be going for an AC router and applicable card. Perhaps upgrade the Mobo to one with build in AC wireless to kill two birds with one stone.

not to ambitious, but also not very balanced 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($116.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($444.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: QNIX QX2710 Matte 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($343.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Ducky Zero Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($86.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2744.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-22 21:33 EDT-0400

QNIX monitors are absolutely awful for input lag.

Yes, the two 840 Pros will be in RAID-0. No other forms of storage since I believe 1TB is more than enough for me. I back up my critical data to an external drive, so I'm somewhat protected against drive faulure. The optical drive is not "necessary", but just in case it comes up. I do have a few blue rays, and it's not that expensive compared to the overall thing.

I'd look into a 1tb Pro. Going in RAID0 often has little to no performance gains in day to day use unless you're constantly moving large amounts of data around.

an AC card is useless without a Router that is also AC :P

If you're spending that much on a PC, and you're too cheap to shell out the money for a proper router, there's something wrong. :P

I believe populating all slots can cause lag. Not noticeable, system stalling lag but it makes it slower.

At least it used to.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

QNIX monitors are absolutely awful for input lag.

I have never experienced any problems with mine

I have never experienced any problems with mine

They increase the input lag into the high 20's/low 30's. Not something I'd recommend at all, especially since budget is clearly not an issue.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is more from me supporting new PC builds that over did it on their PCs. I would not go with raid on your first build and on your OS drive. and as someone who has 2 SSDs in raid 0 its just not worth it. just buy the 1TB SSD if you want that much space.

if you are a student and/or have access to an email address ending in .edu  you can get really good deals on windows though Microsoft's student discount program(just Google it). I got 2 copies of win 7 pro for $30 each that way.

Unfortunately I'm no longer a student. I've wanted to build my own high-end rig for years, but simply didn't have the money while I was in school. Now that I've graduated and am making good money, I guess it's time to satisfy all that waiting.

Why is raid-0 ssd not worth it? Because the theoritical speed benefits aren't as noticable in real-world daily use?

This will be my first time building a PC, so any suggestions are welcome. It's supposed to be an ultimate powerhouse rig, used for both work (heavy algorighms/data crunching) and gaming (Watch Dogs, Star Citizen, etc). Currently there is an $800 monitor there just as a placeholder for the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q G-Sync when it comes out. Also, while I do have the cash to spend, any suggestions on reducing the overall price without compromising performance are welcome too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GK6Fbv

Not quite sure where to put this, so if this belongs under another section I apologize.

XFX Pro Series PSU's are meant to be extremely good too :)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-PRO-750-W-Black-Edition-Full-Modular-Power-Supply-Review/1695/13

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-PRO-750-W-Black-Edition-Full-Modular-Power-Supply-Review/1695/1

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD