Testing PC outside of case before assembling in case?

I've seen Linus do this on one of his build videos before, is there really much point? What things do I need to plug in? Do I need to plug a hard drive in or would I just test and see that everything is working from the BIOS? And on what surface should I lay the motherboard on? 

Thanks,

Blueprint

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

meh if you have the time... do it on the motherboard box... without the anti static bag, plug and test what ever you want. mainly the motherboard/cpu/gpu

yeah just boot to bios, you should be okay then!

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I've seen Linus do this on one of his build videos before, is there really much point? What things do I need to plug in? Do I need to plug a hard drive in or would I just test and see that everything is working from the BIOS? And on what surface should I lay the motherboard on? 

Thanks,

Blueprint

You can use the motherboard box. CPU, GPU, Storage, stock cooler, RAM. If you mount it in your case and it turns out that your motherboard or another component is DOA it would be more work to get everything out. Especially if you already spent a bunch of time doing good cable management.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Yes there is a point! You don't want to get it all in the case and turn it on only to find out you need to rip it apart again.

You will need your mobo (duh), CPU + cooler, RAM, and the video card (if it's needed). And obviously the power supply.

See that everything works in the BIOS.

I lay my stuff on the mobo box, wood desk, or glass.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I always do this. It doesn't even take any time and it'll be a real pain in the ass if something is DOA and you've already began assembly. Just recently my friend had a DOA mobo and we did a test build and were able to diagnose nice and quick.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

If I went full custom watercooling I sure would test it out of the case. But otherwise... I dont bother.

There used to be a time where that mattered, but even Linus acknowledges on the WAN show that it's pretty much pointless with how reliable stuff is now a days. Of course that's a different story if you're dealing with shady parts or perhaps you're building a custom loop; in which case you test things before you actually go an boot the thing. It would be rational for you to test a few specific set of parts that are a pain to disassemble; particularly the motherboard. By the way you can use the box your motherboard came in as a test bench. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

I don't think it's worth it really, unless you build multiple pc's. I mean it takes, what, 15 minutes to rip out a DOA component?

Unless you go for a custom loop of course

Corsair C70 Black Windowed | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 1866Mhz | SLI GTX 780 Classified | Corsair AX860 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green

Corsair 350D Windowed | Asus Gryphon Z87 | i5 4670k | Corsair H75 | Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600Mhz | Corsair RM550 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 4TB WD Green.

Bitfenix Phenom ITX White | Asus Z97i-Plus | Pentium G3258 | Noctua NH-L9i | Kingston HyperX Fury White 2x4GB 1866Mhz | Silverstone Strider 550 | Crucial M.2 120GB SSD | 4x5TB WD Red. (work in progress)

I always do, that way just in case something goes wrong I am not pulling everything out again and repeating the process.

It's a form of insurance: It may seem like a waste of time if everything posts correctly, but if something is set up incorrectly / broken... Huge timesaver.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

It may not have much point nowadays but it's still better safe then sorry

DOA parts still exist, and there's always a chance of getting one. And it'd be a pain to put it in the case just to have to take it out.

It's not even really a hassle, it's just hooking up a few wires and then bridging 2 pins, there's nothing to it.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

If your building a custom water cooling loop then I would. It would be a giant pain in the ass to assemble a sweet loop with custom water blocks on your gpus. Then find that one's totally dead. Extra work and all ya know.....