Project SHIELD manufacturing revealed

Keystone Nyan Cat

Nvidia has recently sent an email to all those who are subscribed to Project Shield a sneak peek into its manufacturing process. The email is as follows-

We're getting closer to the launch of our NVIDIA® Tegra® 4-powered Project SHIELD portable gaming console, so we thought you'd like to get a sneak peek into the manufacturing process.

The photo you see below shows the production mold that's used to craft the ergonomic casing that houses Project SHIELD's high-powered components: Tegra 4, 5-inch 720p HD retinal touchscreen, Stereo Bass Reflex Speakers, WiFi, accelerometer, gyro, a massive battery, and more.

To create the casing, we inject a polycarbonate material into the RHCM (Rapid Heat Cycle Molding) tool at 10,800 PSI and 300 degrees Celsius. We use a polycarbonate mixture comprised of 90% Sabic 500ECR-739 PC and 10% glass. This material and injection molding process ensures a sturdy yet lightweight casing that will deliver hours of gaming with no fatigue.

Thanks for following Project SHIELD. We'll update you again soon with more info.                  

For all those who want to subscribe to information about Project Shield, you can sign up in Google Alerts, or here as well- http://shield.nvidia.com/

post-14430-0-51723400-1368254660.png

post-14430-0-51723400-1368254660.png

PC in Profile

yeah, i received this email too. Pretty interesting.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

Thanks for tweeting the link to this, Linus. Having not subscribed to Shield updates I'm pleasantly surprised that Nvidia is being transparent about something like this. It's almost surreal how rapidly this is coming to market compared to other products in this area.

Another underpowered console gaming system? Yea, its so last year, at this point the Rasberry Pi next generation will be more powerful than these gaming consoles, but I guess the Shield does have a controller.

Wait doesn't HTC One have the same level processor?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

cool !

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

@LinusTech- Thanks :)

@IdeaStormerJorge- The HTC One uses a S600 processor which is quite a bit slower. I'm too a bit concerened about how long will it be able to play games, considering how quickly hardware gets slow and outdated in the phone/ tablet sector. However, since the Tegra 4 is powering a 720p screen instead of a 1080p one, giving it lesser pixels to push, I hope it will last atleast 2 years.

PC in Profile

Is this the machine that squishes or is it the one that fills up? my money would be on fills up because the body is most likely plastic and not metal :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Is this the machine that squishes or is it the one that fills up? my money would be on fills up because the body is most likely plastic and not metal :)

As far as I'm seeing this is one part of the mold. Because the casing is thin, there will be another mold on top of this one (a positive one), and the space in between gets pressure filled with said plastic

COMPRESSION+MOULDING.gif

What you are seeing in the OP's picture is the lower mold half

Also, according to EXIF, the photographer was using an HTC One X+

The more you know :D

As far as I'm seeing this is one part of the mold. Because the casing is thin, there will be another mold on top of this one (a positive one), and the space in between gets pressure filled with said plastic

COMPRESSION+MOULDING.gif

What you are seeing in the OP's picture is the lower mold half

Also, according to EXIF, the photographer was using an HTC One X+

The more you know :D

haha ;) cheers! I see molds like this on magafactories all the time.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I want to know when streaming a PC game to the shield, if you use the PC for web browsing , other programs etc.. Or not.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I want to know when streaming a PC game to the shield, if you use the PC for web browsing , other programs etc.. Or not.

Are asking whether you can stream not just games but other applications from your PC to the Shield?

If so, no one knows yet. NVIDIA has not released any major information other than the Shield will be running on Android and can stream PC games.

Are asking whether you can stream not just games but other applications from your PC to the Shield?

If so, no one knows yet. NVIDIA has not released any major information other than the Shield will be running on Android and can stream PC games.

No I'm asking if my PC is completely occupied and unusable while I'm streaming a PC game to the shield? Or will I need to buy another monitor as well as a shield as well as an nvidia 600+ series graphics card? Sigh.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

No I'm asking if my PC is completely occupied and unusable while I'm streaming a PC game to the shield? Or will I need to buy another monitor as well as a shield as well as an nvidia 600+ series graphics card? Sigh.

Oh okay. The way you phrased your original question was confusing because of how you ended it. To answer that question, no one but NVIDIA knows yet. They have released nearly nothing except what they announced so far.

I would assume that your PC will still be usable but slowed down because it's hardware is being used to run the game that's streaming to the Shield.