Black Beauty

dev893

Hey guys I'm new here and just wanted to show you all my "Thrift Shop" build. None of these parts were actually bought from a thrift shop I just bought the majority of them off Ebay. this is the start of it I plan on doing more upgrades like adding a SSD , R9 270, and upgrading to 8GB of RAM when I get the money most likely if the prices are low enough the parts will be used to keep with the "Thrift Shop" theme

Heres a video on my youtube channel

Edit:temporary name till I can think of a better one

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

I apologize for my crappy English I'm American

What are the components?

watch the video but here

CPU: AMD A6-5400K @4ghz

RAM: 4gb (2x2gb)G.SKILL ECO DDR3 @ 1866mhz

Motherboard: ASrock FM2A55M-VG3+

HDD: SATA2 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9

Powersupply: Corsair CX500 v2 non-modular

Case: Xion XON 560BK

total spent as of right now: $230 USD

current build and total cost   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/150083-thrift-shop-build/

What are the components?

A6-5400K

4GB G.Skill 1866MHz

ASrock FM2A55M-VG3+

500GB Barracuda

Corsair CX500

XION XON 560BK

source: watched the first 10 seconds of the video.

Nevermind, OP you where quicker. 

btw, MASSIVE overkill on the PSU :D

A6-5400K

4GB G.Skill 1866MHz

ASrock FM2A55M-VG3+

500GB Barracuda

Corsair CX500

XION XON 560BK

I whent with a 500watt PSU cause I plan on doing some upgrades so that leaves me with some room. When I get the money I plan on throwing a R9 270 MSI gaming edition in it. I will also be adding a SSD and more RAM eventually I will upgrade the motherboard to something that supports SATA3 but for now it will work

I whent with a 500watt PSU cause I plan on doing some upgrades so that leaves me with some room. When I get the money I plan on throwing a R9 270 MSI gaming edition in it. I will also be adding a SSD and more RAM eventually I will upgrade the motherboard to something that supports SATA3 but for now it will work

You might end up bottlenecking an R9 270 with your CPU. I'm not entirely sure about the perfromance of the A6 5400k right now, but look out for that.

You might end up bottlenecking an R9 270 with your CPU. I'm not entirely sure about the perfromance of the A6 5400k right now, but look out for that.

So far I have no problems with it and I doubt it will be a bottle neck in my system once I get the better cooler I should be able to safely over clcok it to the 4.5ghz range considering that ont he stock cooler I had it at 4.3ghz and and it ran fine untill ambieant temps got to about 75 farenheight. right now the only performance issue I have right now is my HDD since it is one of the first SATA2 drives made is doesn't have a great read/write time. The most demanding game I play is NSFW world and I average on medium settigns around 45fps

I would try to get a better APU now so that the bottleneck would be far less, sorry but the A6-5400k will bottleneck the R9 270, get something like a A8-5800k, great overclocker and wont bottleneck.

I would try to get a better APU now so that the bottleneck would be far less, sorry but the A6-5400k will bottleneck the R9 270, get something like a A8-5800k, great overclocker and wont bottleneck.

I plan on upgrading to the Athlon X4 760K but I have to get the video card first since the Athlon doesn't have integrated graphics

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Purchased a Coolermaster HyperT4 CPU cooler instead of the Arctic Freezer A11 since the T4 is only 14.99 after mail in rebate

which should be here Friday or Saturday. I will post a install and review vid when I get it in :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you even bottleneck bro? 

watch this it might help u under stand 

A6-5400K

4GB G.Skill 1866MHz

ASrock FM2A55M-VG3+

500GB Barracuda

Corsair CX500

XION XON 560BK

you should see my overkill on psu 

a10 6800k (no oc)

7850 (no oc) ta-da! tx 850 for corsair 

you even bottleneck bro? 

watch this it might help u under stand 

Thats a nice video, but Jay's views on bottlenecking are a little extreme. He uses UV and BF3 for testing, both not exactly CPU-heavy applications compared to other titles. Watch Dogs damn near maxes out my 4670k @ 4.4 GHz and there is no doubt that future titles will continue this trend. As I already said, I don't have any numbers on the performance of the A6 5400k and I doubt that he will have an issue in most games, but the possibility that he might run into future issues with that setup needed to be mentioned. 

So Guys I need a new name for this build since I am slowly replacing the parts with brand new parts any ideas? I plan to eventually start modding the case as well and once I find a job I might make the switch over to intel if I can get the money to atleast get a Z87 board and a minimum of an i5 cpu but for now I'm sticking with AMD and probably will be stuck for a couple months if not more so guys give me name ideas

So Guys I need a new name for this build since I am slowly replacing the parts with brand new parts any ideas? I plan to eventually start modding the case as well and once I find a job I might make the switch over to intel if I can get the money to atleast get a Z87 board and a minimum of an i5 cpu but for now I'm sticking with AMD and probably will be stuck for a couple months if not more so guys give me name ideas

Get a new of those pentium unlocked processors, and you should look upon the cheap motherboards manufacturers are releasing that can overclock that chip. I think asrock has some z97 that are cheap

Get a new of those pentium unlocked processors, and you should look upon the cheap motherboards manufacturers are releasing that can overclock that chip. I think asrock has some z97 that are cheap

With the Way games are becoming I want atleast a quad core CPU which is why I won't go less than an i5 when I do upgrade :)

By the way I'm editing a video for youtube as we speak then I will be uploading it so I will have a link posted sometime tonight tomorrow morning (if you are in the US) by the latest

What I suggest - and I do this to name my own things - is to find 2 or 3 words or concepts that describe the item (the computer) and use the service WordHippo and find similar words to the ones you picked. Now pick the coolest sounding words from the list of related words and stick them together in a way that makes sense. I named my survival minecraft server as part of Chill-Servers, Freezing Perpetuation. It basically means cold survival.

With the Way games are becoming I want atleast a quad core CPU which is why I won't go less than an i5 when I do upgrade :)

Nowadays it is not that different from an i5, even on heavy CPU loads. In the future you can always upgrade to an i5 or an i7

Nowadays it is not that different from an i5, even on heavy CPU loads. In the future you can always upgrade to an i5 or an i7

What I meant is games are starting to get a lot more CPU intensive and they like having more cores so I don't think Dual cores will cut it for much longer so I'd rather just save up for an i5 and buy it and the mother board together than buy the motherboard and pentium then buy an i5 later if that makes sense?

What I meant is games are starting to get a lot more CPU intensive and they like having more cores so I don't think Dual cores will cut it for much longer so I'd rather just save up for an i5 and buy it and the mother board together than buy the motherboard and pentium then buy an i5 later if that makes sense?

I agree, if you do not mind waiting to save! But it is always good to future proof :D

I agree, if you do not mind waiting to save! But it is always good to future proof :D

I'm happy with my PC now well once I get my X4 760K I will be and it should hold me off till I can afford to go with an i5. Just out of curiosity do you think $500 is a good amount to save up for cpu/motherboard combo or could I go a little less?