Noctua NH-D15 Review: Retaking The Cooling Performance Crown

4960X
Built on the basis of the legendary NH-D14 and carrying on its quest for ultimate quiet cooling performance, Noctua’s flagship model NH-D15 is an elite-class dual tower cooler for the highest demands. Its expanded heatpipe layout and two premium grade NF-A15 140mm fans with PWM support for automatic speed control allow it to further improve the NH-D14’s award-winning efficiency. Topped off with the trusted, pro-grade SecuFirm2™ multi-socket mounting system, Noctua’s proven NT-H1 thermal compound and full 6 years manufacturer’s warranty, the NH-D15 forms a complete premium quality solution that represents a deluxe choice for overclockers and silent-enthusiasts alike.

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15/1

This review shows the NH-D15 beating the TC14PE and NH-D14 by 2 Celsius and beating the H100i with 3 Celsius difference.

^ what do you mean? You don't like Noctua?

^ what do you mean? You don't like Noctua?

Oh no no, by all means I respect Noctua for the high quality/performance, it's their infamous colors what makes feel like diarrhea. 

What most people (in fact I've only seen TinyTomLogan at OC3D mention it so far) don't realise is that the extra width means that the D15 blocks the very top expansion slot meaning that if it's a PCIe x16 slot, the cooler actually ends up preventing you from even getting the graphics card into the slot

8xzRU.png

What most people (in fact I've only seen TinyTomLogan at OC3D mention it so far) don't realise is that the extra width means that the D15 blocks the very top expansion slot meaning that if it's a PCIe x16 slot, the cooler actually ends up preventing you from even getting the graphics card into the slot

Great for mITX builds. 

8xzRU.png

That is on a mATX boards, if there was a problems with it on ATX board it would have been mentioned by Luke. 

Twitter | Steam |

That is on a mATX boards, if there was a problems with it on ATX board it would have been mentioned by Luke. 

He chose an mATX board because they most commonly have PCIe x16 slots at the very top, most ATX boards have a PCIe x1 there if anything. It is something to bear in mind though. It's not just because it's an mATX board, it's a general problem, just more of a problem with mATX.

Oh no no, by all means I respect Noctua for the high quality/performance, it's their infamous colors what makes feel like diarrhea. 

Honestly, I felt the same way before but now their color scheme kinda grew on me and I like it. :D

<image>

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the distance between the first expansion slot and the CPu socket varies from board to board. On a small board like that mITX board it will be closer than on most ATX boards.

You have to check compatibility though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the distance between the first expansion slot and the CPu socket varies from board to board. On a small board like that mITX board it will be closer than on most ATX boards.

You have to check compatibility though.

Between size standards and socket standards it's pretty consistent, e.g. pretty much all Z87 ATX boards have the same distance between the socket and the expansion slots. Wasn't the case on some older generations, e.g. X58 boards but these days it's pretty constant. mATX only really differs from ATX below the first 4 expansion slots so it's the same case there and mITX is too different to compare. 

8xzRU.png

To quote Linus: Holy balls! How does the PBC stays together!? Even with a backplate that thing must be so heavy I would imagine a non horizontal case would rip the fucking mobo apart! So yeah at that point performance crown or not I see no reason not to go with an AIO water cooler.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Has anyone run it against the Dark Rock Pro 3?  I'd like to see which one wins out of those 2.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

To quote Linus: Holy balls! How does the PBC stays together!? Even with a backplate that thing must be so heavy I would imagine a non horizontal case would rip the fucking mobo apart! So yeah at that point performance crown or not I see no reason not to go with an AIO water cooler.

You get a 3-4mm thick stainless steel backplate and motherboards aren't exactly flimsy.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Has anyone run it against the Dark Rock Pro 3?  I'd like to see which one wins out of those 2.

Did you even bother looking at the review? It clearly shows in that review the Dark Rock Pro 3 falling behind the Nh-D15.

Did you even bother looking at the review? It clearly shows in that review the Dark Rock Pro 3 falling behind the Nh-D15.

I trusted you would have made a proper posting and included important information like that.  Guess not.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Why go for an AIO you mean?

AIO are more compact and can have pretty lights. They are also significantly more expensive for similar performance, less reliable and frequently louder due to pump noise and/or poor fans.

Unless you have a small case, eg itx, the only reason you'd want an AIO over an air cooler is if you want to pimp out your PC with gaudy lights.

AIO are more compact and can have pretty lights. They are also significantly more expensive for similar performance, less reliable and frequently louder due to pump noise and/or poor fans.

Unless you have a small case, eg itx, the only reason you'd want an AIO over an air cooler is if you want to pimp out your PC with gaudy lights.

I thought liquid cooling was less noisy...

really?

really???

AIOs are also good for I don't know,

cases that don't support huge towers?

Flexibility in where you want the heat to go? E.g Out of your case instead of in it?

They won't always be the quietest due to the pump/fans

But high end kits are usually quiet. 240L, H105. Just to name some

More expensive yes, but you are pretty much paying for more than just performance. Flexibility / compatibility.

If you're buying high end air coolers, you'd probably slap on some better aftermarket fans as well(except if you're buying noctua)

So why not buy better fans for your AIO??

Good fans + Good AIO = Noise level equivalent to ambient most of the time.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

I thought liquid cooling was less noisy...

Not all-in-one ones.

This is extremely correct.

You guys should really watch TTL's overview.

he explains exactly  how the NH-D15 may interfere with your gfx card.

He also mentions in another video how it will not work on this board -  Gigabyte Z97 SOC Force ATX mainboard

has nothing to do with mobo form factor, it has to do with where the mobo manufacturer has placed the 1st x16 slot.

1-2C improvement, meh slight improvement or margin of error

the included 140mm fans are baller but I almost prefer the 120mm fan above the mem chips.

obviously the biggest improvement was memory compatibility, at the expensive of mainboard compatibility lol

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I stopped running AIOs ever since my H100i leaked on me and killed my mobo and GPU. From now on, I'm all about air coolers!