VGA vs. DVI-D

NULLandKale

I just bought an IPS monitor and I've been using a VGA cable. The monitor is only 1920 by 1080 and I was wondering if a DVI cable will be much of a quality increase

Yes, it will be a ridiculous increase in quality. 

EDIT: VGA is 640 X 480

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

A VGA cable can display up to 1080p at 60hz the question is if DVI will provide better quality.

I'll just place this here for you mate. Linus can explain it better than I

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

A VGA cable can display up to 1080p at 60hz the question is if DVI will provide better quality.

oh really?

ever heard of Sony FW900?

it can do 1920x1200 @ 96hz or 2304x1440 @ 80hz.

It is still by far the best monitor in terms of Color Accuracy, No Ghosting, No Input lag, No Blurring

the only draw back is it is ginormous and eats power like no tomorrow

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

DVI is not susceptible to EMI (well it is, but as a digital signal it can be corrected at the receiving end).  If you are getting a picture, then it is the optimum quality.  With VGA you can have ghosting or other visual anomolies/distortions associated with EMI that can lower the image quality.  In addition VGA has horrible connectors :)  Then again so does DVI, so go for DisplayPort if you can ;)

I don't believe there's any such thing as DVI-A... considering it stands for Digital Video Interface an "Analog Only" version would be rather strange eh?

DVI is not susceptible to EMI (well it is, but as a digital signal it can be corrected at the receiving end).  If you are getting a picture, then it is the optimum quality.  With VGA you can have ghosting or other visual anomolies/distortions associated with EMI that can lower the image quality.  In addition VGA has horrible connectors :)  Then again so does DVI, so go for DisplayPort if you can ;)

I don't believe there's any such thing as DVI-A... considering it stands for Digital Video Interface an "Analog Only" version would be rather strange eh?

Isn't that called DVI-I or single link DVI?

Isn't that called DVI-I or single link DVI?

Was replying to this:

VGA: Analog.

DVI-A: Analog DVI-D: Digital only DVI-I: Digital and Analog.

Here is the source and they compare other thing:http://www.diffen.com/difference/DVI_vs_VGA

Single link DVI is just missing 6 pins in the middle, Dual Link adds those in for extra bandwidth.  Both of those are DVI-D, and DVI-I adds the four pins off to the side which are analog pins so it can be adapted to VGA.  As far as I know there is no "analog only" DVI connector...

Do not use VGA. VGA should be banned in today's LCD monitors.

VGA has no max resolution, it's analogue. Although, you'll see the image degrade significantly higher the resolution.

VGA is susceptible of interferences (which you do have like no tomorrow, with all our cellphones, and wireless routers, and such).

I would say that 1920x1080 @ 60Hz is pushing VGA to it's max. Especially if you live downtown or something like that, and don't have these ultra shielded VGA cables.

Another problem with VGA, is the loss of quality due to the double conversion.

The graphic card has a digital signal, which it converts to analogue for VGA, then your monitor takes the analogue signal, and convert it back to digital for the LCD panel to be able to display the image. That's just stupid.

Use DVI, or DisplayPort.

Only reason why manafactures still implement VGA is for the asian market and business aplications , in other words dont't use it use DVI.

Interested in Business and Technology